IGN gives Zelda: Twilight Princess a 9.5!!!!

Dammit. There's always variation between websites in their ratings! (Not to mention 5-point scales, 10-point scales, and 100-point scales, each subdivided separately and weighted differently in different sub categories). So what if it got 8.8 @ Gamespot? The reviewer didn't like it as much as IGN. 8.8 is still a damn good rating.

Compare Zelda to all the other 8.8 and higher games on Gamespot, and it's rating is justified ><.

Then again, some people do call IGN a bit "soft" in their ratings, but they were already excited as hell in the preview, which might explain the high rating.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but yeah, IGN does overscore their games. I mean they gave 9.8 to Halo 2 and 9.9 to GTA:SA, that should tell you how credible their rating system is .

Yeah IGN rates games 7-10. What bothers me are the mediocre other scores. Zelda is the only game that looks above average...

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Yeah IGN rates games 7-10. What bothers me are the mediocre other scores. Zelda is the only game that looks above average...

Time will tell us what the Wii can yield as far as appearances. All developers seem to struggle at first to take advantage of the hardware for their respective platforms. PS2 was this way. Games will only get better for the Wii. Resident Evil 4 for GC is good example of how long it can take. Its a beautiful game. Also, it took over a year of the 360 being on the market before they came out with Gears of War, a visually stellar game. I'll be there Sunday to pick up my Wii. I know its apples to oranges, but the Wii will come around into its own.

Iconz said:
Time will tell us what the Wii can yield as far as appearances. All developers seem to struggle at first to take advantage of the hardware for their respective platforms. PS2 was this way. Games will only get better for the Wii. Resident Evil 4 for GC is good example of how long it can take. Its a beautiful game. Also, it took over a year of the 360 being on the market before they came out with Gears of War, a visually stellar game. I'll be there Sunday to pick up my Wii. I know its apples to oranges, but the Wii will come around into its own.

I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about the overall games. On graphics though, if anything I'd expect the difference between wii games now and a year from now to be far smaller than for the other consoles considering the system is very similar to the gc, whereas the other two are totally new architectures. The gap is gonna widen, particularly since developers have more visual tools at their disposal with the 360 and ps3 (aa, af, hdr, shaders, etc...more to work with and therefore more to be creative with).

Fair enough, if I was to look at IGN in particular, the avg score on IGN for all reviewed ps3 games is 7.4, and Wii is 8.1 as of 11/17. But visually, I agree. You make a good point about the tools developers have available to them as far as AA, etc.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Zelda is the only game that looks above average...

It's basically got gamecube level of graphics.
Since that's what the game was developed around.
Future wii games will look better hopefully.

I really hope that the differences between the Wii and the PS3/Xbox 360 cause developers to take unique approaches to games on the Wii rather than just porting everything between the 3 boxes.

Some ports would be cool though - imagine sticking your Wiimote inside a hamster ball and rolling it around on the floor to play Katamari Damacy. :D

aznpxdd said:
I mentioned it in the other thread, but yeah, IGN does overscore their games. I mean they gave 9.8 to Halo 2 and 9.9 to GTA:SA, that should tell you how credible their rating system is .

If IGN actually did an average of their scores instead of just throwing a number out there, the score based on the categories for Zelda TW would have averaged out to an 8.7.

I find it odd they can give it 8.0s/8.5s and somehow come up with a 9.5 for an overall score.

The majority of sites are giving it a fantastic score, and an 8.8 isn't a bad score at all. The fact is all reviewers, so far, feel as though this Zelda is a great game. We all know its gonna kick ass ;)

speculative said:
I really hope that the differences between the Wii and the PS3/Xbox 360 cause developers to take unique approaches to games on the Wii rather than just porting everything between the 3 boxes.

I hope so too. And games that are multiplatform between the three systems would be limiting the X360/PS3 and selling out the Wii's real purpose. Which is not to compete with the other two but carve its own unique gameplay niche. Other than Zelda, the launch titles are fairly lackluster imo. I was pretty psyched to get one over the summer but I'm not feeling an uncontrollable urge to buy one yet. Same goes for my ps3. There just aren't any must play games so.... Are there any kiosks with Zelda TP setup to play ? :D

IGN's numbers should be adjusted about -.5 so it really got around a 9.0... still a very good game...

i dont care about graphic ... i want fun game! gimme good gameplay please!

I don't really think it'll be as good as OoT. I do think it'll be great, but OoT set a standard and it's a classic.

I'm going to wait for the GC version though. I've wanted it on GC ever since it was announced and I'm not going to be impatient and get it for the Wii. The graphics aren't going to be that much better and the only main difference is the Wii-mote. Now, if there were going to be some extras like a couple of extra Temples or something, I'd probably get it for the Wii but there won't be and so I see no need to blow $300 to play it since I've already got a GC.

The guy in the video review should realize adding voices to the characters would ruin it. I wonder if he knows that Link has never talked in any of the games. Not once. How would they work around that? Someone asks Link a question and two seconds later responds with a surprised voice? You can't if he doesn't say anything. lol

VoodooChi|d said:
IGN's numbers should be adjusted about -.5 so it really got around a 9.0... still a very good game...
I'd be curious to hear your reasoning if you would be so kind as to share it.

LOL... they bashed the music because it wasn't orchestrated... wow... and I'm sure it's not midi-quality like they're trying to make you believe.

Darakian said:
I'd be curious to hear your reasoning if you would be so kind as to share it.

They rate everything 7-10. If a game gets below 7 at ign it should be considered a waste of money. 70% shouldn't be a bad score, but now that they've set the precedent they can't go back and start over because everyone would compare the scores to scores they've given other games in the past. I dunno if a straight -.5 is fair (I'd say multiply their scores by .66 for a true 1-10 score), but his point is that their scores are not on a 1-10 scale, and this is more than a common criticism of the site (which, btw, has every incentive to not give games "bad" scores due to advertising revenues).

I believe it's directly correlated with advertising.

Most games should score four to seven, with eights being uncommon and nines rare.
I haven't played TP but it looks good enough for a nine. I'd only give a nine to 3-4 games on each platform per year. With GOTY earning a 10.

Not a wii person, the console does not appeal to me, I am a pc user and I like powerfull stuff. But this title will probably draw me to acquire a wii sometime in the future. Looks FUN and interesting.

Back