If you work in IT, where does your company rid its equipment?

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm very interested in obtaining unused IT equipment but I have a problem, you see I have no idea where to look! I'm not so much as interested in consumer equipment as I am in equipment that was used in IT such as racks, switches, servers etc. etc. So now I'm wondering, for those who work in IT, where do you go or whom do you go to in order to rid yourselves your unwanted/outdated IT equipment inorder to make room for newer stuff?

I'm at this very moment, primarily interested in finding a rack (42U) that noone wants, but would also be interested in seeing other equipment. I've been looking around on the interenet and finding "reuse" equipment was difficult to say the least and when I found CRC.org, it seems like it's geared primarily towards consumers. Since IT dept. have to comply with recycling standards, I wanted to know where their equipment goes so who else to ask then someone who work in IT!

So please if you work in IT and have any information, please let me know as I'm quite desperate to get an answer, I'm currently contemplating calling random IT dept. for ANY company asking this very question!

Usualy by the time it gets replaced it is worthless. Racks don't get switched out often either. In a lot of cases the stuff is scrapped after the parts work keeping have been pulled.

If you are looking for a rack though see if your city/county has surplus sales. I've gotten a few full racks before for 10 to 30 bucks.

Usualy by the time it gets replaced it is worthless. Racks don't get switched out often either. In a lot of cases the stuff is scrapped after the parts work keeping have been pulled.

If you are looking for a rack though see if your city/county has surplus sales. I've gotten a few full racks before for 10 to 30 bucks.
(mouth water emoticon) Can you give me more information on this?? (Cross Fingers Emoticon)

We call up Computers for Kids and the guy picks it up.

Eaither that or 1-800-Junk.

Our networking related stuff doesn't get switched out often. I think we've bought one new set of switches in the 5 years I've been here. The old stuff either sits on a shelf as a back up or gets tossed on ebay.

(mouth water emoticon) Can you give me more information on this?? (Cross Fingers Emoticon)

My county has a surplus sale every month.

http://www.co.henrico.va.us/genserv/purchasing/surplussales.html

A lot of areas have these. Some are auctions some are fixed price. Every once in a while you can really find some gems in them. One of my friends got a 26 inch computer monitor(800x600) from the one in henrico a few years ago. Made a great mame cabinet out of it.

In ours they had a bunch of the older racks that were replaced.

I don't know what gets done with networking gear but our old desktops get harddrive wipes and donated to charity. My guess is that between the 4y upgrade cycle and using some old boxes as test servers that most end up as web boxes in public libraries or other similar uses.

Back