If you where buying today 4k card

Lol I would love to setup a native 27 inch 4k and a native 27 inch 1440p monitor side by side with some games running and watch you people make fools of yourselves with this noticeably better nonsense. Not one of you could notice without closely scrutinizing the game on the screen and depending on the game or the scene you would be doing nothing but guessing in some cases.

Last edited:
Lol I would love to setup a native 27 inch 4k and a native 27 inch 1440p monitor side by side with some games running and watch you people make fools of yourselves with this noticeably better nonsense. Not one of you could notice without closely scrutinizing the game on the screen and depending on the game or the scene you would be doing nothing but guessing in some cases.
I had a 27" 1440P right next to a 27" FreeSync 4K, I would also raise my hand up to indicate I saw a difference, somewhat significant difference. As I age my near sightedness is now deteriorating while seeing distant objects has improved a little bit. 27" is still good yet, that is for the distance I am at but in a few years if I keep going the rate I am going, I will need to larger size screen with a larger view distance - which would be OK.

I have a 28" 4K monitor, a 27" 1080p, and had a 27" 1440p before, I think you can still tell a difference. Going from 1440p to 4K at that small size is slight, but I think you can tell.

The point, I feel, is that it's nearly the same or hard to tell, so why spend the extra money and lose performance/quality for such a small bump in detail.

It makes more sense when you are talking about 40" or above.

Last edited:
I have a 28" 4K monitor, a 27" 1080p, and had a 27" 1440 before, I think you can still tell a difference. Going from 1440p to 4K at that small size is slight, but I think you can tell.

The point, I feel, is that it's nearly the same or hard to tell, so why spend the extra money and lose performance/quality for such a small bump in detail.

It makes more sense when you are talking about 40" or above.

I would say - 32" and over, otherwise stick with 1440p

LOL I didn't expect 4K to be the next "Your eyes can't see more than 24fps"

But then again, why do I expect anything different, there were people who said why do you need DVD you can't see the difference from the sofa anyway. And then there were those who said why do you want HD, DVD is good enough! Or were they all the same people who now evolved into why do you need 4K, HD is good enough?

LOL I didn't expect 4K to be the next "Your eyes can't see more than 24fps"

But then again, why do I expect anything different, there were people who said why do you need DVD you can't see the difference from the sofa anyway. And then there were those who said why do you want HD, DVD is good enough! Or were they all the same people who now evolved into why do you need 4K, HD is good enough?
Nice try but we are talking about something very specific here which is being able to detect the difference between a native 4K 27 in or native 1440p 27 in while gaming. Anyone that says they can easily notice the difference while gaming is flat-out full of shit IMO. Yes if you stop playing and stare at the screen then you should be able to pick out the differences but even then there will be parts of games where you will not be able to tell no matter how magical you think your vision is.

Nice try but we are talking about something very specific here which is being able to detect the difference between a native 4K 27 in or native 1440p 27 in while gaming. Anyone that says they can easily notice the difference while gaming is flat-out full of shit IMO. Yes if you stop playing and stare at the screen then you should be able to pick out the differences but even then there will be parts of games where you will not be able to tell no matter how magical you think your vision is.
I can't tell the difference honestly.

I think it's more accurate to say that while it looks nice, it may not be worth the performance hit you take to do it. Even if you go all out as I've done, it still doesn't perform all that well. If you don't go all out, the performance hit is an even larger issue.

I’m baaack Dan... I don’t have the issues you’re talking about and I am not overclocking the snot out of my machine (see sig), maybe I am a lucky one?

I’m baaack Dan... I don’t have the issues you’re talking about and I am not overclocking the snot out of my machine (see sig), maybe I am a lucky one?

I have no idea what you are going on about.

Of course you can't tell the difference when you're not looking for the differences. Did you just try to move the goalposts?

Of course you can't tell the difference when you're not looking for the differences. Did you just try to move the goalposts?
Did you? Maybe actually go back and look at what I've said which was that you have to closely scrutinize the screen to see any differences and in some cases you still wouldn't be able to tell depending on the game and scene. So no I have been consistent.

I definitely can tell a difference, even at 27". That's not what I was saying at least. It's just that the difference is not huge, not the "4x the resolution" if that is what you expect.

And I'm on a 34" 1080p ultrawide. I think HD still looks good enough. I had fun with 4K, it is definitely better, but you lose too much to get there.

Dan, completely random, but, do you have a link to pictures of your build? I'm curious and would like to see your setup, =)

Sure.

MjNzCzIh.jpg

yeeryEdh.jpg

JPEYt9Yh.jpg

WzT2d5Hh.jpg

I understand that. But it has a side effect of making the game feel smoother than it is when the FPS drops suddenly.

And yes, I'm confident that I could spot the difference between 60 and 50FPS.
Not on a g-sync monitor.

The case gives me the flexibility to use any motherboard and CPU combination I wish. It's ideal for water cooling as well. I can even install multiple cooling loops relatively easily. I'll be doing a GPU loop soon.

I wear glasses (except when gaming) and I can tell the difference flat out. 4K 27" is around 172 pixels/inch, 1440p is 109 PPI - normal human eye can discern around 300 PPI. Just the aliasing will give away what resolution you are at, texture details if the textures are high resolution will be very noticeable. If you have normal eyesight how can you not discern the difference? Now if you are not close to the monitor as in 5 feet or more, then it will become harder and harder to tell the difference.

Now the main reason I went with the 27" is because for the Nano, rendering at 1440p became a viable option, upscale to 4K which worked well. Or 3200x1800 etc. GPU scaling and not monitor scaling, I am convinced AMD does that much better than Nvidia, at least on the previous generations. Now I have 2x 1080Ti's on that monitor.

Glad I saw this post with you Dan_D . I mainly only play Destiny 2 now and have been on a quest to get higher FPS overall with my Alienware 34" Currently on a 8700k and a 1080TI that I was thinking of upgrading to a 2080TI but maybe I should just look out for a cheap used 1080ti to tide me over until the next generation I suppose.

I have yet to still contemplate if i want to go back to UW or just regualr 1440P, i kind of side graded from 1080 Ti -> 2080 but ill just flip a coin i guess...

That is the other thing, i wonder if the gpu prices are killing pc gaming? I can get a xbox X for less than a RTX 2070.

No, because GPU prices have a wide spectrum of price points. Console level gaming doesn't need a 2080Ti

Back