If you own a Shuttle or other SFF case...

heyheyhey

Gawd
...dremel out the back honeycomb/mesh fan grill. I just did it, and my case temps went from 44*C to 34*C. Thats a pretty drastic drop for ~5mins of work. Definatly worth your time.

Good advice! I think most comp geeks that care about their temps at all usually remove the honeycomb grillwork from their cases almost immediately. I never understood the reasoning behind leaving the grill there at all when it could be removed just as easily during the manufacturing process. This is even more important in the newer SFF cases :)

been there done that the second day I had mine.

shuttle5.jpg

I'm going to do that, and by the way did you buy any extra fans for your computer? I think I'm going to buy 2, or maybe three!! I'll put one in the rear top to take air out, and then 2 in the front sides.

If I did this, what would be the best way I would set up my fans for blowing air in/out?

Check out my pic! I made it in paint. :cool:

Oh ya and the three gray squares are where I would add the fans in, the fan in the middle topish would be on the top, the other two on the sides.

shuttle-paint-picture.gif

http://www.lbre.com/andy/andy.html if the pic above doesn't work

Because it's aluminum, it's soft and you don't even need a dremel. I broke mine off fairly cleanly with needlenose pliers and a bit of twisting.

You can also do what I did and replace the ICE cooler with a regular HSF setup. I did that and my temps also dropped by about 10+ degrees C. Now my case temperatures rarely go above 30C...

Swify_HSF.jpg

I did that with my fan grill the first day. Mine still is about 44c under full load. But I guess that will happen when you overclock.

Originally posted by JGene
You can also do what I did and replace the ICE cooler with a regular HSF setup. I did that and my temps also dropped by about 10+ degrees C. Now my case temperatures rarely go above 30C...

Swify_HSF.jpg

Is that a swiftech on that thing? How tight was space, and is it AMD or Intel?

Originally posted by tehandydumke
I'm going to do that, and by the way did you buy any extra fans for your computer? I think I'm going to buy 2, or maybe three!! I'll put one in the rear top to take air out, and then 2 in the front sides.

If I did this, what would be the best way I would set up my fans for blowing air in/out?

Check out my pic! I made it in paint. :cool:

Oh ya and the three gray squares are where I would add the fans in, the fan in the middle topish would be on the top, the other two on the sides.

shuttle-paint-picture.gif

http://www.lbre.com/andy/andy.html if the pic above doesn't work

I was actually going to put 2 - 60mm blow holes on top but I dunno if I will now.

I say that because, well, here's my temps "as is":

idle:

2.8CtempIDLE.jpg

after running Prime 95 for a few hours:

2.8CtempLOAD.jpg

-with temps like these, I really dont see the need to do anymore.

Originally posted by TekieB
Is that a swiftech on that thing? How tight was space, and is it AMD or Intel?

Yup, it's a Swiftech MCX-370CR2. Was difficult to find, especially since they are now out of production. I think you can still find one if you look really hard, but good luck.

My stats:

SN45G 1.0
Barton 2500+ 10x200 @ 1.600V

Idle w/low RPM: 36/29
Load w/low RPM: 43/31

Originally posted by ozziegn
I was actually going to put 2 - 60mm blow holes on top but I dunno if I will now.

I say that because, well, here's my temps "as is":

idle:

2.8CtempIDLE.jpg

after running Prime 95 for a few hours:

2.8CtempLOAD.jpg

-with temps like these, I really dont see the need to do anymore.

um why isn't your fan1 on?

try turning it on lol

ps its your power supply fan

Hey ozziegn, which shuttle have you got again? Is the PSU in that thing one of the older 200W's or the newer 220W Shuttle put out??? The reason I'm asking is because while your cpu voltage, 3.3v, and 5v are all very steady under load.....the 12v line is quite a bit more "off" then I like seeing.

The only reason is because I'm looking at moving BACK to another SB65G2 and I can't quite remember how the rails and stuff was on the PSU. I know that the noise I was hearing out of the power supply WAS the fan but other then that it seemed fine.

Do me a favour and help coax me back into a nice little SFF home once more 'cus I've got some mods planned for it this time around. :D

good cases would have a wire grill that is removable. but in an effort to save money, even expensive one now have the crappy honeycomb or round holes.

Originally posted by DeFex
good cases would have a wire grill that is removable. but in an effort to save money, even expensive one now have the crappy honeycomb or round holes.

Oh well, it just leaves it up to us to be creative with our boxes and do a LITTLE work. ;) :p

Back