If you have purchased Windows XP OEM with Vista Upgrade coupon, please post here!

zyonuf79

Gawd
This might be similar to another thread, but I want to sort through all the crap and get down to brass tacks. Please share your experience if you have:

1. Built your own computer
2. Purchased any version of OEM XP with a Vista upgrade coupon.
3. Redeemed or attempted to redeem the coupon and the redemption results.

In order to keep this thread as clean as possible, please do not post any opinions commenting, questioning or flamming someone's purchase decision. Posts should be about actual buyer experience so as to help others who may be thinking about doing the same.

Thanks in advance. :)

Even though I have posted and started numerous other threads, I'll post here too. I bought MCE2005 on Nov 3rd, and so far have yet to get a confirm number from the upgrade website BUT People that have purchased the software lately at Newegg, have benn getting thier coupons thru. Today I ALMOST made it thru the upgradewebsite, but then it didn't like my zipcode, said it didn't exist. Trying to change it, I now get a "coupon has already been used error. I have NUMEROUS e-mails, phone calls and live chat sessions involving this promo, but I believe in the end, we will get our nominal cost upgrade, which for me will be $10.69

I purchased XP SP2 OEM from Newegg 2 days after the promotion started (10/28). Initially the website did not function properly - it told me I could not validate. I did live support several times with Newegg and it ended up with them not having a clue and telling me to contact Microsoft.

So I contacted Microsoft and the address on the Vista coupon. I received a reply from Microsoft that read like they didn't know what I was talking about - they told me to contact paid phone support for my Vista problem (yeah, sure).

Finally about 2 weeks after I tried the first time I received an email from the company running the upgrade website (this is the address printed on the coupon) telling me that it should be working now and to try again.

I did as they suggested and it worked just fine. Got my confirmation number, printed everything out, sent the form, proof of purchase, all that to the address on the form, USPS Priority Mail.

So I think I'm set. We shall see come 30 January.

Bought 2 copies of Windows XP MCE 2005 with upgrade to Vista Home premium from ClubIT.com

The upgrade coupons failed the first time around and now i'm stuck with "Codes already used". The whole process so far was a farce on microsofts side. They're unable to create a working website, don't answer the support emails, fail to put a note on the website that it is not working currently for MCE2005, outsource the support which has people answering that you simply CAN'T understand, try to charge your CC $230 to get support from the MS corporate support line.

F-

this whole thing has disaster written all over it. its the usual "rebate" chaos, only SQUARED. Take the mce 2005 version of this shell game. The upshot is you won't get vista till march and it will be a restrictive oem version (that you pay $135 for) when you get it. OEM pricing likey will be less than this on jan 30th.

meanwhile, the unrestricted retail upgrade for home premium will be $159 and can be bought at Staples on Jan 30th. Please correct me if any of my facts are wrong. This whole thing is just a device by the ecosystem to keep boxes moving till Jan 30th. Newegg likely went direct to msft with complaints that their "system" sales are going to suffer unless they get in this program. Now we have a nightmare that they didn't prepare well for. It's a stiched together plan. Its a contrivance due simply to msft missing the xmas selling season with vista rtm.

bendit said:
this whole thing has disaster written all over it. its the usual "rebate" chaos, only SQUARED. Take the mce 2005 version of this shell game. The upshot is you won't get vista till march and it will be a restrictive oem version (that you pay $135 for) when you get it. OEM pricing likey will be less than this on jan 30th.

meanwhile, the unrestricted retail upgrade for home premium will be $159 and can be bought at Staples on Jan 30th. Please correct me if any of my facts are wrong. This whole thing is just a device by the ecosystem to keep boxes moving till Jan 30th. Newegg likely went direct to msft with complaints that their "system" sales are going to suffer unless they get in this program. Now we have a nightmare that they didn't prepare well for. It's a stiched together plan. Its a contrivance due simply to msft missing the xmas selling season with vista rtm.

While I appreciate your opinion, please take it to another thread. I am looking for people that have CURRENTLY purchased XP with the coupon and their experience. Please refer to my original post. I am not interested in what ifs and heresay...I want to know what is actually happening now to customers.

I tried again testerday 12/14. I made it all the way to the end, and then it came up with zipcode and state and country don't match/ ANOTHER BATCH of E-mails dispatched. :rolleyes:

I got that same Country/City/Zip doesn't match crap too and then the code already used BS.
I finally called moduslink and got a great csr who got me the confirmation numbers for both upgrades, Vista and office.
The phone support number is1-800-817-5602.

They say that the website will be fixed and it may get done but what worked(at least appears to have at this point) was calling Moduslink.

A note on the Zip/City/country thing...if your City name does not match what the Postal Service uses like me...I live in University heights, OH but the Postal Service calls it Cleveland, use whatever the Postal Service uses. That MAY prevent getting kicked into that isthue.

12/17 SUCCESS!. I was FINALLY able to complete the process, and get a confirmation number for the upgrade. My cost was $12.68 Now it's a 4-6 wek wait to see if the rest of the upgrade goes smoothly or not. Keep in mind, that I got all those errors that eveyone else is getting. Just keep sending those e-mails, and asking for a coa reset, if thats the error you get. Zeros in both PC and serial# boxes, and NA in the company box,NOTHING in the VAT box.

Big daddy, are they going to mail you the retail box or an oem box of home premium?

thanks

i purchased the vista upgrade deal with xp sp2 home via newegg a couple weeks ago.

one question, is the vista going to be a full install or an upgrade that has to be installed over that specific copy of sp2

bendit said:
Big daddy, are they going to mail you the retail box or an oem box of home premium?

thanks
It's DEFINITELY OEM, and can only be installed on the same pc that you installed the MCE2005/XP software on. This was stated on the last page of the Redemption procedure. QUOTE" Your order is subject to validation of your credit card and validation of you COA for that qualifying PC. You may only install the upgrade software on that qualifying PC".

have a quick question about this. I purchased the MCE 2005 with Vista upgrade recently and was able to complete the online part of the submittal and received my confirmation code for Vista Home Premium, but have yet to send in the redemption form. Since no hardware was bought with MCE 2005 there are no qualifing receipts to send in with the redemption form. Is everyone just sending their newegg (MCE) receipt with the redemption form or just the redemption form itself?????

Andy

andy A said:
have a quick question about this. I purchased the MCE 2005 with Vista upgrade recently and was able to complete the online part of the submittal and received my confirmation code for Vista Home Premium, but have yet to send in the redemption form. Since no hardware was bought with MCE 2005 there are no qualifing receipts to send in with the redemption form. Is everyone just sending their newegg (MCE) receipt with the redemption form or just the redemption form itself?????

Andy
Definitely send in the receipt from Newegg, so it shows that the software was purchased within the promo time frame.For others, be aware that MCE2005 has to be installed AND activated, BEFORE you try to use the redemption coupon. I also scanned the end of the software pkg and included that, along with a note about what Newegg was telling us about the upgrade.A look at #23 in the FAQ section over at Newegg, shows a change to include oem software. My letter was so heavy, that it took 75 cents postage.It definitely pays to be cautious here, as not enough postage could cause your submission to come back to you.

BIGDADDY51 said:
Definitely send in the receipt from Newegg, so it shows that the software was purchased within the promo time frame.For others, be aware that MCE2005 has to be installed AND activated, BEFORE you try to use the redemption coupon.

I guess that's their way to get the MCE 2005 CDKEY and disable it properly. Not doing this would basically mean ppl will be able to run both OS for the price of one.

Xilikon said:
I guess that's their way to get the MCE 2005 CDKEY and disable it properly. Not doing this would basically mean ppl will be able to run both OS for the price of one.
Why would they disable the MCE2005 key? If you order the Vista upgrade and say don't install it for 6 months, are they going to invalidate your MCE2005 before that time? There is no mention of key disabling at all or any timeframe required to install. Just makes no sense to disable the MCE2005 key.

And FYI, I did the MCE2005 --> Home Premium upgrade from my work machine, running XP Pro. My MCE2005 isn't even activated (yet). So I don't understand why the other poster said it has to be installed and activated before donig the upgrade coupon.

ir0nw0lf said:
Why would they disable the MCE2005 key? If you order the Vista upgrade and say don't install it for 6 months, are they going to invalidate your MCE2005 before that time? There is no mention of key disabling at all or any timeframe required to install. Just makes no sense to disable the MCE2005 key.

And FYI, I did the MCE2005 --> Home Premium upgrade from my work machine, running XP Pro. My MCE2005 isn't even activated (yet). So I don't understand why the other poster said it has to be installed and activated before donig the upgrade coupon.
One word, PIRACY. That's the reason the key is disabled, AFTER you use the upgrade software. Otherwise, what's to stop anyone from using both copies at the same time? MS is the one, that stated that the OEM software had to be activated BEFORE you could do the upgrade. They are also using it to make sure that the upgrade falls within the promo limits. The actual production date of the software is stamped on the end of the software pkg, along with the coa and the serial# of the software itself.

As a christmas gift I got an OEM copy of MCE2005 for a build I'm working on (upgrade to Vista Home Premium. When I try to apply on the website, it doesn't even load! Next time, I'll just wait for Vista, although it might be a bit more expensive.

You're just gonna give up?
Call Moduslink at 800-817-5602 and let 'em walk ya through it...like the rest of us did.

My laptop came with a free vista coupon. I'm...really looking forward to this mess of a rebate.

I also got windows mce 2005 oem with coupon have since registered the coupon online and it asked me for address and credit card details, to be honest the information is a bit retarded doesnt make sense, do you have to send the card to them as well and a receipt?, for the operating system or computer that I didnt buy. It seems there site is completly down at the moment. The funny thing is I tried to register the coupon and first time it crashed at the credit card page, after that it said my coupon number has already been registered. Couple of days ago I gave it another try and bingo went all the way through and I have an order number will I get this or do I have to prove I have purchased a new computer there is so much conflicting information about this. :confused:

I believe that they are resetting the website on a daily basis, so if you don't get thru, wait 1day and try again. You should also send an e-mail thru the click here thingy. It seems to help. :D

anobium said:
I also got windows mce 2005 oem with coupon have since registered the coupon online and it asked me for address and credit card details, to be honest the information is a bit retarded doesnt make sense, do you have to send the card to them as well and a receipt?, for the operating system or computer that I didnt buy. It seems there site is completly down at the moment. The funny thing is I tried to register the coupon and first time it crashed at the credit card page, after that it said my coupon number has already been registered. Couple of days ago I gave it another try and bingo went all the way through and I have an order number will I get this or do I have to prove I have purchased a new computer there is so much conflicting information about this. :confused:
Just fill out the name and address on the coupon, send in a receipt showing the oem software purchase from Newegg, and I also sent a photo copy of the end of the software pkg. You also need to send a copy of the confirmation number pages

Adionik said:
My laptop came with a free vista coupon. I'm...really looking forward to this mess of a rebate.
Go to the MFG site of your laptop. They are handling thier coupons thru thier own sites.

i bought a OEM xp mce at Mwave,on the 21st.recieved the 26th. came with the coupon, went to the modus link website, registered coa all that crap .Got a confirmation Number went right through no hassles, faxed the coupon, and mwave reciept.

In the system, ready to go.C.C authorized.

The wait begins

randsom said:
i bought a OEM xp mce at Mwave,on the 21st.recieved the 26th. came with the coupon, went to the modus link website, registered coa all that crap .Got a confirmation Number went right through no hassles, faxed the coupon, and mwave reciept.

In the system, ready to go.C.C authorized.

The wait begins

Heya where on the form is the fax number? i thought they had to be mailed to the PO Box on the form?

Americas
Software Upgrade Program
PO Box 1918
Orem, UT 84059-1918
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 801-431-5616

read the confirmation email, and says you can fax the reciept, and confirmation

Thank you for submitting your order to upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit DVD. It is important that you carefully follow all instructions on this confirmation email. You are responsible for ensuring the completeness and accuracy of your order request. Any incomplete, illegible, late, lost, mutilated, misdirected or postage-due requests, fraudulent submission of multiple requests, or providing false information in a request will delay and/or disqualify your submission. Microsoft and/or ModusLink (or your manufacturer or installer) may deny and/or discard any submission deemed to be false or fraudulent. For your order to be fulfilled, you must submit (by mail, facsimile or scan) your receipt for a qualifying PC, together with the online confirmation number listed on this page, to the following address or facsimile number:

Thanks for reading the fine print randsom!
We're faxing the Vista and Office goodies right now.

See..this is what this thread was all about. Learning experiences...keep 'em coming!

I figured I gotta wait anyways, so I sent mine snail mail. ;) :D One thing, if you do send yours snail mail, HAVE IT WEIGHED. It cost me 79 cents. :D

So which version of Vista comes with the coupon? Home? Premium? Business?

Back