If you have a Maxtor 120GB please read.

ender1598

Limp Gawd
I've got a DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB drive that the circuit board on it got fried. If someone has one of these that the platters crashed but the board is still good I'd be very interested in getting ahold of it to try and swap boards with mine. The mfg date of mine is 02DEC2002 so I'm thinking it has to be around this time. The code on mine is YAR41VWO. If you have one of these that is still operational I would still be interested in buying this off of you. This data is important enough for me to want to recover it but not enough to pay $500 for the pros to do it. :) Thanks for any help.

done the freeze trick yet? look at the sticky... it really works

unhappy_mage said:
done the freeze trick yet? look at the sticky... it really works

The freezer trick will not do anything to a fried board, it's to pop loose stuck bearings or arms.

It's a fried board because there was definitely an electrical smell. It was plugged in through my dad's usb enclosure and I think the power on it was flakey or something. Also, plugging it in and turning it on produces no action whatsoever.

If you were to buy a new one, check the date on the end of the box... might be one there...

Good luck on getting this fixed. I have three of these drives, but they are in working order, so unable to swap.

If any of those drives are the same serial as mine I would be very interested in buying it off of you.

I had a Maxtor that was manufactured in Dec of 03 and swapped circuit boards from one manufactured in June of 04 and it worked out.

I had my HDD sitting on a chair with a temporary network and saw the board catch on fire (yes, flames and all). I put it out and a few days later swapped circuit boards and saved all the data. Plus I got the drive warranteed. Luckily my father had bought the same drive :)

You should have no problems retrieving the data, but good luck finding a donor drive.

just remember that the 'swap logic boards' trick works best with the same revision of PCB. so if they didn't change the PCB during the manufacturing run of your hard drive, you should have more luck with this trick.

MAKE SURE to get a picture of the PCB of whatever drive you're going to buy before you buy it! - so you can compare it to yours.

ender1598 said:
I've got a DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB drive that the circuit board on it got fried. If someone has one of these that the platters crashed but the board is still good I'd be very interested in getting ahold of it to try and swap boards with mine. The mfg date of mine is 02DEC2002 so I'm thinking it has to be around this time. The code on mine is YAR41VWO. If you have one of these that is still operational I would still be interested in buying this off of you. This data is important enough for me to want to recover it but not enough to pay $500 for the pros to do it. :) Thanks for any help.

the EXACT same thing happened to me a few days ago, pulled the PCB off of an 80gb DiamondMax 9 and put it on my 120, id'd the drive as a 120 and its running great now :)

and made a backup of the drive immedietly :D

Back