• Total voters

Usual_suspect

Limp Gawd
*Given specs on monitors are identical except resolution*

Which would you prefer:

1440p Max settings

Or

4K Medium/High

I ask because I’m curious about utilizing a 4K monitor on my Vega 56 but I know medium settings would be a far more realistic expectation if I want to aim for 60 FPS.

I think max settings would look better, and at 1440p probably perform better as well, so that would be my choice.

4k is great for larger screens (like a TV as a monitor) but I usually try to hit High settings, as medium can look like an Xbox360 game and defeat the whole purpose.

Good question. I picked 4k, but I really had to think about it, and not easy.

Choose 4k for non gaming reasons, madlym extra workspace for non gaming applications.

Max settings and details always looks better than just higher resolution.

Really depends on the game and monitor size. 4K at 27" and 1440p at 27" won't have a massive difference in image quality for gaming. But I've also noticed that in many modern titles the difference between medium and max settings isn't as large as it used to be. But if I'd have to choose, I'd go with 1440p/max.

I agree that monitor size matters. I have both a 4K 65" TV and a 1440p 27" monitor and I think I would go for 4K if the display is somewhere around 32" or more. Max settings in most games don't make a huge difference in image quality nowadays, especially not something you would notice in motion.

*Given specs on monitors are identical except resolution*

Which would you prefer:

1440p Max settings

Or

4K Medium/High

I ask because I’m curious about utilizing a 4K monitor on my Vega 56 but I know medium settings would be a far more realistic expectation if I want to aim for 60 FPS.
I'd go with a 4K 55 - 65". Have a LG 55" B7 from last year. My recommendation if you go 4K is to set a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel, then play the game in windowed mode full screen with black borders until GPUs can handle it in the games you play. Basically what this does is it displays a 1-to-1 mapped resolution in the middle of the screen with black borders similar to how most movies display. Just upgraded to a GTX 1080 TI last Friday, rocking a i7 920 at 3.8 ghz from way back in the day. In Dishonored 2, the first game I've tested, the Tutorial runs at like 80ish FPS with maxed settings TXAA x1, but when loading larger levels the CPU can't keep up with the GPU and it drops into the teens. So, entered Nvidia Control Panel, tweaked out a 3200x1900 res, open Dishonored 2, set to the custom res, and it keeps the display running a 1-to-1 pixel ratio display of the game, in the middle of the screen, with a ~60 FPS. Best part is, if you're playing in a darker setting, the borders are quickly forgotten, just like when watching movies.

1440p is still the way to go. I've been on 1440p since 2011? Dell U2711H with now on a BenQ equivalent (sort of) , moving through various GPUs: HD 5850, GTX 580, GTX 670, GTX 970 and now a GTX 1070. My next monitor will be yet another 27" 1440p high refresh rate once my BenQ dies.

I used to run Crysis on high with the HD 5850 at 1440p with some settings altered like shadows etc. Still looked amazing.

I wanted to drop to 1080p after my Dell U2711 died, but I looked at some 27" 1080p monitors and couldn't do it. It just wasn't as ideal or crisp. I considered 24" 1080p, and found the screen overall to be too small.

The only other res/size I'd probably consider is the 34" ultrawides, but the resolution support turns me off going this route. (Plus the price is generally higher than the 27" 1440p equiv)

Back