If you had $1500 to spend on a monitor set up what would it be?

Jedi

[H]ard|Gawd
I’m just curious what everyone would get if they had $1500 to spend.
Would you get 1 curved ultra wide or would you get 2 or 3 31”4k’s?

So this is my spot, I have a budget of $1500 and I’m just looking at all options.
The rig its on is an i9 64gb ram 2080ti, so its got a little power for any display.

I'd get the OLED CX 48, but that's just me. Personally not keen on Ultrawides or multi-monitor setups. All the IPS monitors I've used are just awful when it comes to viewing angles (leading to a "glowing" effect in the corners and edges), and I've heard VA exhibits similar issues, so throwing in extra angles with the ultra-wide or multiple monitors and the issue gets compounded.

I assume you will be gaming on one monitor using the 2nd for whatever. Given your setup, two 1440p would be good for last generation games. I personally used a three monitor setup (1440p) with a similar setup. When spanning all three with latest games fell short on the FPS side I went to one monitor to game. No one spans two because the center of the game is too distracting with bezels in the way. If I were you and upgrading mobo and GPU is not in the cards atm I'd get a decent 1080p ultrawide 21:9 such as an LG34UC79G-B you may never hit the upper FPS limit with current setup but you'll have the satisfaction of a great view while gaming and it will move with you when an upgrade is in the cards. For me, I'd still have a 2nd monitor even with an ultrawide because I like to monitor system parameters and sometime facetime with grandson while playing Fortnite. Yep I've passed the addiction on to build and game God help him. Seems like I read somewhere you have a 7700k the 2080ti would help but your money would be better spent on a 3600XT. The bottleneck created by the 7700 is too much to overcome. I know for a fact my FPS on a 2080ti went up 35 to 45% depending on game when upgrading from 7700 to 3900X.
Bottom line if I had to recommend;
3600XT $239
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus $162
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 $170
LG 34UC79G-B LG 34-Inch 21:9 $900
Total $1471
1080Ti for now.

It really depends on what you're going to do.

As someone who ran a triple monitor system for about 9 years, I'm happy to be done with it.

If you're trading stocks or something like that and you have a big 10' wide area, then sure, get triple 32" 4k Monitors but I'd never do it.

I would get one of the new 38" Ultrawides.

The newer models are around $1400 - I have the 38GL950 (Gsync) and it's an excellent IPS panel with virtually no light leakage (YMMV)

It's great for work, gaming and watching video (I currently have an Nvidia Shield on the HDMI port running at 1080P/120Hz - about the best you can do on an Ultrawide)

I have a 21" Dell on top for this and that and I just ordered an HDMI 4x2 Matrix switch with audio extraction so I can more easily deal with multiple sources (extra computers and video sources)

I have tried the 34" Ultrawides and I am not a fan - the 38" format is far superior in my opinion and I would say it is currently the ideal monitor format.

20200305_153447.jpg

I currently have a Dell 34" Ultrawide and want that new Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Super Ultrawide.

I currently have a Dell 34" Ultrawide and want that new Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Super Ultrawide.

They seem nice and the Samsung 49" class monitors were my first choice for quite a while, but I came to the conclusion that they are just too wide and not tall enough and I have developed a very strong appreciation for IPS.

The thing that made 3x 27" monitors acceptable was that when you play games in NV Surround, most games keep your HUD confined to the center screen.

When you have a single panel, the games push your HUD out to the left and right edge of the screen - it's a minor inconvenience on a 21:9 but in my opinion, it would be a major hindrance to do that on a 49" monitor.

Highend TV as a PC monitor. But I would hold the money and wait for 2021. It’s just a few months away and we’ll get some delicious display lineup.

Depends entirely on use case. I have done this twice in roughly one year's time.

I liked the Samsung CRG9 49" superultrawide a ton for working on the desktop, but my current LG CX 48" is just plain better in terms of picture quality and gaming. I felt the super ultrawide was more practical as a desktop monitor because the curve helps and the desktop space is a more usable format. The LG 38" ultrawides fit in between and I might like one of those as a personal monitor but would probably want a secondary monitor to go with it for working.

For me working on the LG CX, after turning off things like dimming when it detects static content, is quite alright but due to the sheer size of the display I prefer using it with a bit of scaling so text is more comfortable to view. Which of course reduces desktop space. In terms of text it actually looks quite similar to my 27" 1440p display I have as a side monitor at a closer distance. Using the same 120% scaling on both.

Ideal to me would be either a 48" 8K display that is curved or alternatively a roughly 40" 4K screen. Hell, make it an ultrawide 5120x2160 120+ Hz and that's even nicer. But we are not there yet and most likely won't be in several years. At best I hope we at least get things like "4K (super)ultrawide" (5120x2160, 7680x2160) that don't have too bad compromises overall.

At the moment there is too much of a premium for good HDR compared to just buying an OLED TV.

Last edited:
I would be willing to spend even more, but for me personaly there's no monitor on the market worth spending $1500 right now. CX48 is way to big for me, and I wouldn't be comfotrable using it for work 8 hours a day due to potential burn-in. I went with a 1440p gaming IPS recently for ~$500, which I'm going to stick for now.
I considered buying 2 monitors: 1 for best image quality and 2nd for best response times in games, but I decided not to bother.

There's actually a strong chance that the sony x900h ends up being better than LG's screens. Sony might actually not screw up HDMI 2.1 and you don't have OLED burn in problems.

Whatever the best 21:9 Ultrawide is at the time that fits in that budget.

Once you've gamed on one, you can't go back to 16:9, Its like playing with blinders on

I think the Dell 38" curved are perfect for an all around monitor. Unless you're gaming then you probably want something smaller.

There's actually a strong chance that the sony x900h ends up being better than LG's screens. Sony might actually not screw up HDMI 2.1 and you don't have OLED burn in problems.
Arent sony's oled panels from LG? Im curious if something change where sony makes their own oled panels now.

Is this even a significant issue? I used a C7 as a PC monitor for 3+ years and experienced no burn-in problems. I'm aware of people who have burned it in to the point where it's slightly visible on red-slide tests, but I'm not sure if I've talked to even a single person who had visible burn-in during normal use. I only really ever hear about "burn in" from people who have never owned an OLED. Maybe if someone was very careless...

Serious question. How are people using a 48" monitor? Is it like 4 feet away from you? I have a 32" thats like 2 feet away and that is on the edge

Id get a 32" 4K 120HZ HDR OLED whenever they become available.

Tough call, I've actually been thinking about upgrading from my dual 32's. For $1500 part of me would want to get the 48" LG CX, but for my setup, I'd have to get rid of my second monitor as I'd have to shuffle things around to fit my desk. My other option would be to get the Acer Predator 43" CG437K for $999 and keep either my LG 32UD59-B or Dell S3220DGF as a second monitor. But I kind of like having one set up for work and the other for play so I might lean towards the 43" even though the PQ is not as good as the CX.

Serious question. How are people using a 48" monitor? Is it like 4 feet away from you? I have a 32" thats like 2 feet away and that is on the edge

Id get a 32" 4K 120HZ HDR OLED whenever they become available.

I have mine about 85-90 cm from my eyes. I wish it was just a bit further away than that but the depth of my desk and my monitor arm limits being able to put it any further back. Might get one of those floor stand things if I can find one that supports a slight tilt.

It's damn large and with the way it's set up now, I mostly work on the bottom 2/3 of the screen and leave the rest for secondary stuff I need to look at occasionally like say email or terminals. So think of this as using it more like a 3840x1600 ultrawide.

I would love to have this as curved and slightly smaller, 38-43" size but that is not a reality just yet.

RE: Curved displays...

Does anyone use one for serious work like CAM/CAD? The curved lines drive me crazy. Even spreadsheets...

Now OLED, yes I'd love an OLED display of size. 8K 36" sounds about perfect. 60Hz is fine with me since I don't game (action stuff) and animated renderings look OK at 60Hz.

Really dark movie scenes are a blast on OLED. I use IPS for all critical color stuff and where viewing angles and text quality need to be spot on. But in a dark room, the glow is crazy and dark scenes in movies are really bad.

Just like loudspeaker systems, there is no "one size fits all". For now that is. ;-)

Assuming I have the system to be able to game on it, Samsung CHG90. Would be perfect to work on it, specially since I need to have a lot of windows open at the same time.

LG 38GL950/38GN950 or the Samsung Odyssey G9.

OLED is definitely the best picture quality. I have 2 in my house and a 65CX being delivered Saturday. But once I experienced ultrawide gaming (current Predator X34) 3 years ago I can’t go back to 16:9 on PC, even if it means giving up OLED.

I have a Samsung Odyssey G9 on its way for delivery next week. Bought it for $1220 through Samsung which is definitely a solid price for it. Going to see if the super ultrawide aspect ratio is too much or not. If it is I’m going to spring for a 38” Ultrawide.

Whatever the best 3440x1440 ultrawide is at the time and the money saved going towards the best GPU to run it.

I will never go back to 16:9 and anything wider is too wide.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Currently using the Sammy UN43KU7500 I have noticed a few extremely random and rare issues with it. I've turned it on and instantly the only color displayed was pink about 3-4 random as hell times now powering it off and back on has fixed this so far. The same number of times I've tried to power it on with new batteries in the remote and nothing happens after repeated presses of the power button. Still covered under ST extended warranty until 5/21 and I can only assume they would just cut a check if I file a claim. So I may be in the market soon for a new display. I honestly like the curve vs flat panel but I like the vertical space. There really isn't anything curved being offered anymore on the tv side of things and any monitors of this size are flat from what I've seen or they loose the vertical space with being an ultrawide if your going curved.

I do like how if I want to watch tv or stream plex on the display I can but it's not a deal breaker if moving over to a monitor vs tv. There is always a firestick plugged into an hdmi port to solve that. I was looking at the Asus PG43UQ but alot of people gripe about the text resolution. Not a huge deal as it probably won't look any different then my current display and it's for a game rig so not like I spend a bunch of time in browsers or excel/word. Many have mentioned the LG CX 48" but I just think that sucker will suck up too much of the minimal space I have remaining. LOL My fiance already said I have a window on my desk when I got the Sammy I can only imagine if I add another 5". I'm not opposed to staying on the tv side of things or switching to an actual monitor. I have a 2080TI and will eventually probably get the 3080TI if they release one. So I can take advantage of the extra hz but I do want a 4K display and not 1440 or otherwise as I can't see going backwards in picture quality after having both computers @4K for several years now.

Anyone seen any 43" standard sizing monitors (non ultrawide) coming down the pike or have any recommendations?

Well, If I have that much money to buy a monitor then I will choose Asus ProArt PA329C 32” 4K (3840 X 2160) HDR10 Displayhdr600 Monitor 100% Adobe RGB IPS Eye Care DisplayPort USB Type-C HDMI, Black. It also comes in my dream desk setup. I am the biggest fan of Asus so i choose it and it is also has all the features that i want. So I choose it.

AW3821DW is supposed to be out next month, I'd probably snag that, in hopes its priced about $1500.

I'm in a similar situation. $1000-$1500 budget. Probably going to get the LG CX48, but I'm hesitant after reading lots of issues recently.

I'm in a similar situation. $1000-$1500 budget. Probably going to get the LG CX48, but I'm hesitant after reading lots of issues recently.
Hopefully LG fixes their issues with the new RTX 3000 cards. 4K120 is good and all, but need GSYNC to make it perfect.

It would be a toss up between the LG cx48, the Sony 55x900h, the Samsung odyssey g9 and the soon to be released 43”asus monitor with hdmi 2.1.

I'm leaning to the odyssey g9 now. I might just get crazy and go for it. I can get it at a good price with my work discount.

Last edited:
I'm leaning to the odyssey g9 now. I might just get crazy and go for it. I can get it at a good price with my work discount.
The new ones on Best Buy still say they aren’t perfect. I was just looking to get that. Holding off for now. Still have my Alienware 34” that’s holding me over.

The new ones on Best Buy still say they aren’t perfect. I was just looking to get that. Holding off for now. Still have my Alienware 34” that’s holding me over.
Yea, reviews are spotty. I can't decide. I can get the G9 for $1275. The CX48 is $1475. I am working at home now and I could probably ditch my shitty work monitors and hook up my laptop to the G9 along with my new gaming rig.

The G9 would probably make my work experience a lot more enjoyable.

Yea, reviews are spotty. I can't decide. I can get the G9 for $1275. The CX48 is $1475. I am working at home now and I could probably ditch my shitty work monitors and hook up my laptop to the G9 along with my new gaming rig.

The G9 would probably make my work experience a lot more enjoyable.
I want the G9 to work so bad however don’t want to deal with issues and exchanges. I can get the G9 for about $1300 and the CX for $1100. I’m still waiting a little to decide. Want the issues figured out.

AW3821DW is supposed to be out next month, I'd probably snag that, in hopes its priced about $1500.
It’s apparently $1900. Way too much.
I want the G9 to work so bad however don’t want to deal with issues and exchanges. I can get the G9 for about $1300 and the CX for $1100. I’m still waiting a little to decide. Want the issues figured out.
My G9 comes in on Monday, got it for the same price. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Yeah, I'm more interested in the 27", I have a hookup from work and expect to get that one for under 1k with a 5y warranty when it comes out.
If I'm spending almost 4 figures on a monitor I love the 5 year peace of mind.

My U3415w warranty just expired earlier this year, I need some more hz now though.

Back