If you don't see Vista SP1 on Windows Update

pigster

[H]ard|Gawd
Found this KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;948343

It points out that Windows Update checks for some preconditions before offering Vista SP1 for installation. It seems as though any of these conditions will cause the update to fail:

CAUSE
This problem occurs because of one or more of the following causes.

Cause 1

You are already running Windows Vista SP1.

Cause 2

Windows Vista SP1 has not been released for the language of the language pack that you have installed.

Cause 3

Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool is used to block the delivery of Windows Vista SP1 from Automatic Updates or from Windows Update.

Cause 4

You tried to install Windows Vista SP1, and the installation failed with a known inconsistency in the file or registry structure.

Cause 5

A hardware device driver or device software was problematic when you updated to Windows Vista SP1.

The Windows Update service can detect the small set of device drivers and software that falls into this category. The Windows Update service will not offer Windows Vista SP1 until an update for the hardware device driver or the device software has been installed.

Cause 6

You have installed a prerelease version of Windows Vista SP1, and you must uninstall the prerelease version, or start with a new installation of Windows Vista.

Cause 7

You used the third-party program vLite to configure the system, and you may have removed required system components that have to be available for Windows Vista SP1 to be installed.

For more information, visit the following vLite Web site:
http://www.vlite.net (http://www.vlite.net)
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Cause 8

You see one or more updates for Windows Vista when you run Windows Update. However, you do not see Windows Vista SP1 listed.

Cause 9: You downloaded the SP1 from MSUpdate a couple of weeks ago, didn't install it immediately before it was yanked and now it doesn't appear anymore.

Solution (probably): involves renaming SoftwareDistribution and trying again. :p

Relating to Cause 2, even if you're using English as your language, IF you have a currently non-supported language installed, it will cause failure.

Case in point, I had Hebrew and Russian installed just for the hell of it, never used them, but I had to uninstall them both before I could install SP1.

I have the SP1 beta installed. Is that what I need to uninstall to get the update for the newest SP1?

I have the SP1 beta installed. Is that what I need to uninstall to get the update for the newest SP1?

Cause 6

You have installed a prerelease version of Windows Vista SP1, and you must uninstall the prerelease version, or start with a new installation of Windows Vista.

That's what it says

That's, at the very least, one cause, yes. You do need to uninstall any beta SP1 before you can install the new one (or before it shows up on WU, probably.)

Back