If you don't raid, why not?

Mehphisto

Weaksauce
So I have played wow since early BC and I only raided in wrath and Cata... I no longer raid because I personally find the idea of repeating the same content over and over tedious and more like a Job. Now when I play I get my main to max level, decently geared, transmogged, then I level my alts accordingly. As of the end of BFA I have every class on alliance max level, with several duplicated horde side. As I level each character I try different areas and do alot of exploring. I am a very casual player.

Why don't you raid? if you raid I don't care :)

I don't raid solely based on the time required. I raised from release until end of WotLK. I then left the came and came back in BfA. I didn't think I would enjoy the different ways of gearing us, as we used to call those guys casuals, but I really did enjoy it.

I quit raiding because I got burned out somewhat, it is a very inefficient way to get geared if you are a filthy casual and you can get good enough gear to get things done by doing other things.

I always felt I was chasing something I could not get as the goal was always moving.

I quit raiding because I got burned out somewhat, it is a very inefficient way to get geared if you are a filthy casual and you can get good enough gear to get things done by doing other things.

I always felt I was chasing something I could not get as the goal was always moving.
I feel this, I could never really keep up and it felt endless to me.

I was a huge raider in every expansion since I started in vanilla. I was super hardcore in BC, but the guild scaled back a bit starting in wrath and were a standard heroic guild until the guild died in BFA. I really enjoyed the challenge of raiding and looked forward to doing it every week, but got tired of all the drama and other issues. The guild dying was mostly good asa it dropped my stress level and now I am enjoying being a casual now. I plan to see what next expansion brings before I decide what to do about if I want to raid next expansion or not though.

Don't have the time the last good MMO to come out was either Rift or Black Desert Online.
Waiting on Ashes of Creation, Camelot Unchained. Patheon Rise of the Fallen.

I'm actually a big fan of raiding. It's actually just about the only thing I enjoy in MMO's. Primarily for two reasons. 1.) It's usually the most challenging activity the game has to offer. 2.) It's the most rewarding thing in an MMO. Not only do you get the best loot from raiding, but the greatest feeling of accomplishment that you can in the game.

Now, having said all of that. I stopped raiding in SW:ToR primarily because my team had burned out to the point where they just didn't have it in them to do the harder content. Not only that, but the last couple of raids weren't all that good in the first place. They just weren't a whole lot of fun. The designs of the newer raids were by different people at BioWare and it showed. As you can imagine, it wasn't in the good way or I might still be playing it. But, raiding is what kept me playing that game for so many years. After I quit raiding, I was done with it. Additionally, the developers did the most retarded thing I could think of which was locking raid content behind daily quest completions and NOT the raids themselves. That was the last straw for me. I absolutely hated dailies and had made enough money in the game that I could support my raiding activities indefinitely. Dailies were busy work and a time sink for something I didn't want to do.

Evidently, they have gone back on this and the raids now drop the gear as they should, but I have no interest in returning. I completed most of what the game had to offer and what I haven't done, I am not all that motivated to finish for a variety of reasons I alluded to above. The game has run its course and after having sunk more time into it than I'd readily admit, I've been there and done that. Oddly, I'm actually not a fan of MMO's. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I hate them. I'm a big fan of them conceptually, but execution wise I have disliked all of them for a multitude of reasons I won't get into. Star Wars The Old Republic was an exception on that front. There was just something about it that hooked me.

I also like to raid in other games like Destiny 2 and even Ghost Recon Breakpoint, but in the former, I've literally done it all. So, I'm not currently raiding, though I do help out clam members from time to time when they ask. On the latter, I had gotten all the rewards I had wanted but they did add a few more recently. So, I'm doing that raid again for the time being.

I do t have the time and energy to raid anymore. I haven't played much WoW but in ffxiv is was so worthless. You can clear a raid in a week and have nothing harder for at least 6 months. The get BiS mentally really grinded my gears. There was no point in it cause you already cleared the raid tier before you even got one piece of new gear more then likely. Once the next raid finally came out you can buy as good or better hear off the AH. There is zero challenge or rewarding feelings to ffxiv. It is just a pointless grind that gets reset every 6 months. Don't even get me started on relic weapons.

I realize now that you're talking about raids in games...

On topic - I only played MMO's during WotlK and prior to that, I played FF XI for 2 years.
I raided WoW as much as I could (having to resort to pubs) - but I eventually quit because the game was taking too much of my life and even with how much I was playing, I was on such a small server that I couldn't even get into a really competitive raiding guild. WoW to me isn't worth it to play if you're not going to be competitive. And unfortunately if felt like only a small subset could.
At this point, I'll never MMO again. Too much time for too little payout. I'd rather play single player, narrative driven, games. Currently I'm playing DoS2, and it's pushing all of my buttons. If anything my biggest issue is that it's too long - even though its long because of 100% content.

Last edited:
Never did, never will. I can't be bothered to adjust my gaming schedule to other people.

For the same reason I havent upgraded to PCIe 4.0, theres no large benefit. (And its less reliable)
What matters more are 4K transfers.
;)

I never play WoW so I can't comment on anything there. I have played Lotro, SWTOR and FF14 ARR. In Lotro I did a lot of raiding and instances. I had a lot of fun doing it, I was good at it and ended up in a smallish kin/guild of like minded people. Unfortunately during a couple of sub-par expansions most of the people in my kin quit or left for different games. I kept playing but the sub-par expansions and changes to the game killed any desire to run instances or raid since it was so easy that it wasn't any fun anymore. It was great to get the best gear but that was only a means to an end, being able to progress to the more difficult versions of the raids/instances.

I messed around with SWTOR but never raided there. For the most part I played for the story and once I had finished all the class stories I was pretty much done. I had no real desire to get into raiding/instances. I also found it much more difficult to form a connection to the community in the game and didn't feel like doing the guild hop circuit to find a place where I fit in. No one I knew played the game so I treated it as a single player game with other people running around in it. I also didn't feel the game was really worth the sub fee and without subbing there was no point to mess with raids or instances anyway.

FF14 ARR is where a number of the people from my Lotro kin ended up playing. During a free trial period I decided to hop on and see what it was like and hooked up with my old kinmates. If it wasn't for them playing there I wouldn't have bothered as I'd never played a FF game before and typically would have no interest to try it out. I ended up ponying up the sub fee and played for about a year to a year and a half through the first expansion which came out about the time I started. It was somewhat fun and they had some interesting mechanics for instances/raids but the only thing which kept me around were the people I was playing with and they were getting burned out as I was. The gear grind tended to be boring and the weapon grind was horrible. I lost interest with the others and most quit playing about the same time I did.

Since then I've gone back to Lotro and left a number of times. I still enjoy the game for the most part but raiding/instances are basically dead to me. I still enjoy doing them but the gear and weapon grind is terrible. I need multiple classes for variety and there are multiple classes I love to do raid/instances on and I'm or was good at them. At earlier level caps I had 5, 7 and 8 classes leveled and geared. Sure, it took a lot of time to do that but I enjoyed the time I spent doing it. When they changed acquisition of gear to become a horrid grind and then added on a bad grind on weapons on top of that it was the end of being able to gear multiple characters for raids/instances. One of the worst issues is the need to relentlessly run dailies to gain the currency needed to buy the initial set of decent gear. Then to run the raids to unlock the next tier of gear so you could run even more dailies to gain more currency to buy the next tier of gear. During this time you had to craft items to put in the slots on the gear to make it usable which wouldn't be bad but required semi-rare items which had to be farmed from resource nodes from the landscape as well as items which could only be bought in the ingame store in any sort of quantity. To make things even worse there were multiple tiers of these crafted items and the amount of semi-rare and store bought items needed to craft them increased each tier. Not to be outdone they would put out new tiers of those items so that after you finally got a set or two of gear setup you'd need to start the grind all over for the new tier of items. It literally made it a nightmare to gear multiple characters/classes. The time it would take me previously to gear up three or four characters/classes doing what I enjoyed doing is how much time it required to gear up a single class/character with the new system all the while doing stuff that bored and frustrated the hell out of me. I've made multiple attempts over the past few years to try to get back into it and start the grind to gear only to give up yet again. I still play the game but don't do much more than landscape questing for the story and basic enjoyment.

Never got into WoW.

The Division 2 has raids, it takes 8 players and a lot of communication and coordination. I want to do them; and get the exclusive weapons like the Eagle Bearer AR, I just need much better gear.

It forces you to play with other players. I generally avoid games that I would otherwise like if they have forced grouping.

Never got into WoW.

The Division 2 has raids, it takes 8 players and a lot of communication and coordination. I want to do them; and get the exclusive weapons like the Eagle Bearer AR, I just need much better gear.
I quit playing The Division 2 when they excluded gear from solo players.

I don't really raid anymore in WoW because I can't sit at my PC for 3 hours straight. I might be able play for 3+ hours, but I take periodic breaks that can be 15minutes+. I'm not really the type of person to make 24 others sit around for me... I have done it before and felt like I needed to hurry up with my break, I'd rather stop playing whenever I feel like, instead of when its convenient for the group. I'll do shorter content as I can take a break in between dungeons because the rest of the group that I play with can continue and I can rejoin them after.

I think they should split the raids up better in wings and have a better way to rejoin the group if I go afk. Returning and having to walk for 5 minutes and probably get lost to rejoin the group isn't very fun either.

I have yet to play an MMO that's held my interest for more than a few months and I generally don't like gaming with people.

I think raiding can be fun. But I hate the preparation. I don't want to farm for flasks and other crap needed to boost stats.
Sure I could buy it on the AH, but I'm always poor in games. And getting gold means I have to farm.
Reading up on bosses? Ugh, I know it's necessary, but I find it tedious.
Third, I hate being forced to be somewhere on the specific time and not later. Unless I really must. And raiding is not a must.

Its been years since I played WoW but back then I hated raiding. People just made it so not fun. It was actually easier to just use what I could get non raiding or buying what I needed on the AH. Raiding can be fun but generally I didnt enjoy it. Too much prep. Too much time waiting for players. Too much drama, bitching, complaining, etc., etc., etc.,

Because raiding is like a second job. Can’t do it anymore, even though it was fun with the great guild I was in.

Raiding is great, you just have to remember that it's no substitute for backup.

I don't like relying on other people and not being paid for it. It's like a job or a group project that I'm willingly doing in my free time.

I'm not raiding right now because the guild is waiting for shadowlands. That and all us main raiders and the other members that helped got our mythic N'zoth mount.

I reupped around time the Shadowlands prepatch dropped, leveled an alt with my daughter but we have since hopped back on our old mains to do raidfinder and are having a blast. She is a BE Rogue and I'm a Mag'har warrior. She loves to talk trash when I die or she outdpses me and I'm supposed to be teaching her mechanics, lol.

I love raiding and specifically tanking raids but I was forced quit raiding when I started chemotherapy. Some days I am too wiped out to make it to a raid night and the last thing any decent raid guild would want is a tank that cannot be there consistently.

Raided back from BC through MoP.
Decided to go back to getting laid every night. Never went back.

I still play Destiny 2, but I don't raid on it.

Raided back from BC through MoP.
Decided to go back to getting laid every night. Never went back.

I still play Destiny 2, but I don't raid on it.

97-FE0-F96-7558-4-FA6-89-D4-BD6-C2-A437032.gif

Back