If you could get a NEC LCD2490wuxi for $573...

vick1000

2[H]4U
...Factory Refurbished from a reputable online e-tailer, would you? This company has an excellent return policy, paying return shipping, and 56 available. Hmmmm.

...Factory Refurbished from a reputable online e-tailer, would you? This company has an excellent return policy, paying return shipping, and 56 available. Hmmmm.

I would definitely go for it! sounds like a good deal. I know some people were buying 20wgx2's and didn't have a problem sending them into nec to fix theme if there was a problem!

I was one of them. It's a great e-tailer with out a doubt.

I just bought a new 32LZ800 though, waitnig for it to arive. Still a tempting offer, even taking a chance that something might go wrong after 90 days.

Because I am not very smart with my money, I got one. Hope it doesn't die.

Arrived today. Came with a VGA cable and a power cord, as seems standard with refurbs. Fortunately I needed neither.

No backlight bleed, no dead pixels. The height adjustment is very nice, it seems impossibly easy given the weight of the monitor.

Apparently this thing supports HDCP? I thought I heard it didn't. I wish this was available 8 months ago, I could have bought two and saved $200, which would be enough for calibration hardware. Well, I guess if wide gamut ever becomes useful, I'm prepared.

Other thoughts: the anti-glare coating seems grainer than my DS-263N, however there are no lines which more than makes up for it. Also, the green/red glow is far dimmer than on the doublesight, probably due to the weaker backlight.

Is there some function that says how many hours of use it has, like on the 20WMGX2 refurbs?

<snip>Apparently this thing supports HDCP? I thought I heard it didn't. I wish this was available 8 months ago, I could have bought two and saved $200, which would be enough for calibration hardware. Well, I guess if wide gamut ever becomes useful, I'm prepared.

The 2490 isn't a wide gamut, the 2690 is.

I mean I would have bought one of these instead of my DS-263N, which is wide gamut.

Ohh sorry, misunderstanding, I thought you were refering to the 2490.

Edit - I would not buy one, only 90 day warrenty, could be alot of money down the tubes if something happened to it. Then you'd have to buy another one at which point you just spent more than a new one with the full warrenty. My 2 cents

Well you can buy a 2 year in house warranty from the site for ~$70 I think.

I'd rather take my chances with NEC's support, honestly. I did register it, and confirmed the warranty, but that's probably meaningless since they have a big disclaimer saying the warranty may not count if it's refurbished. But, I'd definitely have been much more wary if it wasn't factory refurbished.

On another note, I finally understand why people care about input lag. I don't, because FPSs make me ill, but I've played enough to see how the lag on this monitor could make you lose against elite competition. Even at the desktop, there is a visible mushing and stretching of windows when I slide them between the doublesight and the NEC.

just bought one
anyone else buy one and receive it yet? would like to hear some impressions

I bought one and its at my house - going to pick it up tomorrow (I live in dormitory)

Might just pull the trigger on this.

NEC has one of the best costumer service in the industry.

I'm not worried about it being a refurb.

nomu, how do you like this monitor??? and thanks for the coupon....

Quite well. No handshake issues on inputs (and if there were, autoselect can actually be turned off, unlike my doublesight.) Glows even less than my doublesight, probably because of the lower power backlight. And of course, the advantages of sRGB. Basically, it's the monitor I wanted in the first place.

I did note in another thread that it hums quite loudly, almost as if there was a fan in there. However it cannot be heard over my PC, which is quite loud and has me wearing headphones most of the time anyhow. If you do get one, I'd recommend that you turn it on by itself and put your ear to the back to see if it makes any annoying noise.

Quite well. No handshake issues on inputs (and if there were, autoselect can actually be turned off, unlike my doublesight.) Glows even less than my doublesight, probably because of the lower power backlight. And of course, the advantages of sRGB. Basically, it's the monitor I wanted in the first place.

I did note in another thread that it hums quite loudly, almost as if there was a fan in there. However it cannot be heard over my PC, which is quite loud and has me wearing headphones most of the time anyhow. If you do get one, I'd recommend that you turn it on by itself and put your ear to the back to see if it makes any annoying noise.

Did you have handshake issues with the doublesight nomu?

Well, I bit, even though I shouldn't have. I decided a while ago though that this is the only 24" I would be happy with after buying my 2007WFP IPS; I just couldn't justify a grand for an LCD.

Now I can't wait. :D

Damn you [H], my poor wallet. :p

Thanks for posting this.

Did you have handshake issues with the doublesight nomu?

Yes, it didn't like my Denon AVR. For some reason the receiver cuts out the signal for about a second when it detects a display, and by the time it comes back the doublesight moves on to the next input. What makes it really frustrating is that 10% of the time, it works, so I spent hours trying to figure out what I needed to be doing. Turns out what I needed was a new monitor :eek:

Back