If you are on a fence if you should buy new RAM now or later...

MaZa

2[H]4U
...I would probably suggest now because there has been a power failure at Samsung factory, again. Apparently not as bad as last time but you know how it usually goes with RAM manufacturers and price increases.

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20191231007200315

They said the power outage that lasted about a minute at the factory in Hwaseong, about 60 kilometers southwest of Seoul, brought production of DRAM and NAND flash chips to a stop.

The world's largest memory chipmaker said it will likely take two to three days to restart production, and said that damage from the temporary stoppage will not be too serious.

According to the company, the outage occurred when power transmission cable at a nearby substation exploded, which cut off power in the neighborhood around the factory.

I took advantage over the holidays and stocked up on a couple of systems.

One got 16 gig more and the other got some higher speed and it left a bit left over for another project.

giphy.gif

any excuse to raise prices...

I've got a system with a pair of 8GB 3200 Cl14 sticks. I'd like to get another pair, but everyone's out of stock--there's some different stuff with the same specs by the same maker (G.Skill) but it's a different model so it'd look weird.

I've got a system with a pair of 8GB 3200 Cl14 sticks. I'd like to get another pair, but everyone's out of stock--there's some different stuff with the same specs by the same maker (G.Skill) but it's a different model so it'd look weird.
Buy 2 pair and sell current pair? Probably still cheaper than the climb to come!

Buy 2 pair and sell current pair? Probably still cheaper than the climb to come!

Yeah, I may have to do that. (Although I do actually have another half-built system I could finish off with this stuff.

Buildzoid said Ryzen 3000 series loves higher rank ram, Quad Rank would be great

Is it time for price fixing again? Good thing I don't need to upgrade memory.

I'm good with my 32GBs of DDR4 3200 with my 2700X for a while. I know Zen 2/2+ will like faster when I eventually upgrade to it, but not too worried about the minor performance delta I'll be leaving on the table for the price difference.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
Have 32gb on two systems. Don't believe i will need any more for a good while unless something quiets..

Buildzoid said Ryzen 3000 series loves higher rank ram, Quad Rank would be great

How do you generally tell what rank a DIMM is? Here I was just trying to figure out if I should get 2 or 4 sticks if I replace my existing stuff. It doesn't like you can really get 32GB of CL 14 (or at least not without paying stupid prices) whether it's 3200 or 3600. I'm kind of leaning towards 4x8 DIMMs so all the motherboard slots are filled, but skimming a couple of stores it looks like I'd have to drop to CL16. Which probably won't make that much of a day-to-day difference.

Glad I did the upgrade. Ok I won't lie, it was a Christmas gift. But still, no need for family members to pay out the ass for some ram.

Now running 32GB DDR4 3200, 4 modules. I think I'll be good for a couple years. From what I've seen so far, new games are only recommending 16GB for the high end specs.

This presupposes that you can't just buy go out Hynix or Crucial based RAM instead.

From what I've seen so far, new games are only recommending 16GB for the high end specs.

I found a new-to-me Minecraft modpack that wants 6-8GB of RAM dedicated to it. (And if you're going to run a separate server, well, there's a bunch more needed.)

Most of the time I don't expect to need more than 16GB, but every once in a while I do things that need more. My work PC, I had to upgrade to 24GB because of Sql Server.

Bought a 16 GB kit a few weeks back for when I upgrade to Ryzen 4000. The 16 GB kit will go in my current 7700K system which will go to the kids, the current 32 GB will get moved to the Ryzen.

Well, I have 3 computers, each with 16GB of ram and I just do not need 32GB. Of course, the last time I waited in September of 2012, the prices doubled overnight and I regretted it.

Son of a.. I’m picking up all the decent open box ram at the local Microcenter as it pops up for a few months. Let the Hoarding begin!

I barely have time to game anymore so the 8 gigs I have in my two systems will suffice just fine for many more moons
The prices right now are stupid cheap if you do need new RAM

Bought a 16 GB kit a few weeks back for when I upgrade to Ryzen 4000. The 16 GB kit will go in my current 7700K system which will go to the kids, the current 32 GB will get moved to the Ryzen.
Is there memory out now that is guaranteed to work really well for the new Zen3 architecture? I am holding off on replacing my old i7 920 rig until the 4000 series Ryzen come out, and I am hesitant to buy anything for it since what I buy may or may not work well in it (and all my current systems are DDR3).

Prices have dropped recently, probably a good time to buy if you need/want it. I think I'm good for now though, new CPU would be on my list before more RAM.

Is there memory out now that is guaranteed to work really well for the new Zen3 architecture? I am holding off on replacing my old i7 920 rig until the 4000 series Ryzen come out, and I am hesitant to buy anything for it since what I buy may or may not work well in it (and all my current systems are DDR3).

no zen3 not out yet, but I was gonna reply to this thread and say that the samsung outage won't really matter as much for ryzen builders because Micron E-die is where it's at for ryzen anyway so that's where i'd be looking. Plus Micron is made in the USA, so there's that too.

I found a new-to-me Minecraft modpack that wants 6-8GB of RAM dedicated to it. (And if you're going to run a separate server, well, there's a bunch more needed.)

Most of the time I don't expect to need more than 16GB, but every once in a while I do things that need more. My work PC, I had to upgrade to 24GB because of Sql Server.

there are actually games out now that are recommending 16GB and the new consoles haven't even released yet. That's why personally I went w/ a 32 GB kit.

Thankfully I just got new ram late last year. 64GB 3200mhz (4 x 16GB). I will good for a while now. I had 32GB but I was maxing that out once in a while.

No, because it's not out, but if you meant ryzen 3000, then the best thing to do to play it safe is check your motherboard's qvl.
The message I quoted mentioned he bought a new kit that he plans to use when he upgrades to Ryzen 4000. Ryzen 4000 will be using the new Zen3 architecture, so I was curious if there was any information out on the "memory requirements" and if there is already memory available you could buy that would 100% work (and work well) in Ryzen 4000 series / Zen3.

Back