If you are inexperienced at overclocking and having problems.....

computerpro3

LightningRod
note to hardcore/experienced overclockers: skip reading this, it's nothing revolutionary. I just posted this to try to cut down on this kind of thread.

I am beginning to notice many, many, many threads about "why can't my chip hit this speed" or "my chip sucks" or "why does my hard drive go away when I am at x FSB". The solution to these problems is to just lock the pci/agp speeds to 66/33. The reason you can't overclock very high or your hard drives go away when trying to overclock is that while you raise the FSB to overclock the chip, you are also raising the operating frequency of everything attached to the pci/ide/sata etc. slots. Now you may think that if a chip can overclock 1ghz+ , why can't a pci device or video card even run 50mhz higher...think about this:

If you overclock a 2.8ghz chip to 3.5ghz, that is a 700mhz overclock, or 20%. If you take a device,e such as a hard drive, which has an IO bus designed to run at 33mhz, and overclock it to 50mhz, that is a 66% overclock. See what I am saying?

So the moral of the story is........lock your pci/agp bus to 33/66mhz and you will be in overclocking bliss (provided you have the right componets, of course).

Back