If you are a hardware geek...get ready for this !!

Everything I've heard about that thing has made me need to change my pants.
I'd love to see this do some real life benchmarking.
Edit: Holy Christ that thing runs hot...

Sounds like it's all theory though. But I've heard roumors that Xbox2 is going to run on architecture similar to this. They'll have problems, I'm sure, but this may be promising.

Wonder what they're going to make that can run that hot

BlckRaven said:
I have been reading this. I for once am looking forward to this,

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell1.html

Think big people. give feedbacks

Here's my feedback

1) This has been posted at least 20 times, in fact, there's another ACTIVE thread on this right now.

2) It's all vaporware at this point. the only thing that even comes close to a multicore REALITY is ibm's power5 processors [ok, and yeah, there are some other similair things]

3) SOme of the claims seem like science ficiton to me.. I've heard claims of 5 ghz and $100.00 on this already [and that was on a sony forum]

I remember when they were promoting the PS2 -- and was saying what a big deal it's cpu and gpu was... made it sound like it's an SGI on a pair of chips... Of course it turns out to be nothing more than a glorified DVD player. :D (well a bit more than that, but you get the drift)

The only thing that strikes me through that entire article is this:

"85 Celcius operation with heat sink "
LOL are they SERIOUS? For those that need to have it in F -- that is 185 degrees F.

a little bit higher, and you can put a pot of water on top of the cpu and help yourself to some poached eggs while you wait for the cpu to fry...

The entire article reads like it was written by some !!!!!! who's only interested in comparing specs.

Personally, I don't think the PS3 will be out anytime soon -- as Sony probably have just barely reached the break-even point for the PS2.

Well anyway I guess if I ever want an expensive video-game capable space-heater in the future -- I'll know where to look. :D

cheers,

Yass

If it succeeds, it will defeat the purpose of buying a new console later on. You could just buy something with another cell chip and connect it. Maybe that's what Sony's betting on. I agree, heat will probably be a major deal. I wonder if this'll be the first console to use a water-cooling system? Maybe they should just build it into a mini-fridge and cool it that way. Seriously, though, unless they can make a good OS and tools to help developers, this could tank majorly. Nobody would buy a console if it doesn't have any games. Same goes for a computer with no software. If 3rd-party developers can write games easily without worrying about all the details, then it might succeed. Then Sony and the bigger companies like Konami and Square-Enix can push it to do what it was meant for. They do a good job of that because they can, but I wouldn't expect the same of smaller developers. Hopefully Sony won't take another page out of Nintendo's book.

This has already been posted somewhere...I think in the games and gaming equipment area.

Well, the concept is interesting and the theories behind it appear interesting and possibly valid. However, as others have kindly pointed out, where's the 'hardware'. The day this can be done is going to be big, but until it is done, it's just hot air, I'm afraid. :(

The specs are true. Those are OFICIAL specs for the cell processor. I know this thread was started a while ago, and new has changed since it was started, but sony revealed actual physical cell processors, andf they have started production of it, this cell thing is way beyond the simple speculation and rumor level people, what don't you understand about that? the level you guys are thinking the cell processor is completely wrong, again, ITS WAY PAST SPECULATION AND RUMOR! PRODUCTION FACILITIES HAVE BEEN MADE AND PRODUCTION HASS BEGUN! Just trust me when I say that....know what I mean? ;) I wink for a reason.

I would agerr but trusting sony for me is generally a nono they always have lots of hype lol look at the psp it was supposed top get them in a handheald market and when you look around what does everyone have?? not a psp ill thell you that much....also the ps2 specs were amazing.... untill it came out and people found out ehat they wctually were.... sony likes to hide things (PsP's 5 hour battery life)

Spike said:
I would agerr but trusting sony for me is generally a nono they always have lots of hype lol look at the psp it was supposed top get them in a handheald market and when you look around what does everyone have?? not a psp ill thell you that much....also the ps2 specs were amazing.... untill it came out and people found out ehat they wctually were.... sony likes to hide things (PsP's 5 hour battery life)

No offense, but please, for the love of god and all that is holy, use semi-proper punctuation/spelling. Pretty please? It makes you look silly otherwise... ;)

Back on topic, as with the PS2 when it came out, I would imagine this technology, while vastly different than current processors, will perform like a sub-par computer of last year. While multiple cores with one main "brain" will most likely be a very decent way to do things, putting two + actual cores on a chip seems much smarter/faster to me. I'm not an engineer or anything, so really, its just opinion on my part, but yeah.

I'm sure they will be great for specific tasks but, I don't see much passing the PC style processors for general usage for quite some time yet.

Back