if the metal board of where the motherboard lands is thin, what will be the problem?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I have problem w/ an antec P7 case. I have installed thousands of cases, this is the first time I've seen this

the hexagon gold base screw that is supposed to screw on to the base board of the case come out.

So I have to loosen all 6 screws, and re-screw that hexagon screw to the base board

and guess what? it comes off the 2nd time.

what is causing this? The screw or the base board? I see the hexagon screw is no different than any other ones, so I'm guessing it's a thin base metal board

Wrap the threads of the hexagon with teflon tape. Likely the hole is stripped if the threads look ok on the screw.

thanks, that's a neat trick. But what cause this? Is it because it's a cheap case? I intalled hundreds of antec p100, that never happens. Then they discontinue the P100, I switch over to P7, now realize it's a cheaper case, and guess what? It happens on the 1st one I bought

its called the "motherboard tray" and yes thin trays will strip out. cheap cases use thin trays. but it is typically from over tightening. so dont freak out or anything just do what auntj told you or use a bit of red Loctite and dont tighten them as hard.

oh and "hexagon screw" = standoff

Last edited:
Make sure you are using the standoffs the case came with. I thought they were black. If you are using some old generic brass ones they could have a different thread\pitch (not common but plausible.)

thank you guys. I do use the standoff that c/w the box.

what is the industry standard of a good thickness of that motherboard tray? Or what's the industry standard thickness of a thin tray? I have a Swiss scale that can measure thickness, and I just order some CoolerMaster MasterBox E500L and I wonder if their motherboard tray is thick enough

no standard. if you read the specs panel thickness is usually mentioned.

FWIW these "hexagons" are expected to provide grounding. If it's really that cheap of a case, a small blob of JB Weld (or JB Quick) is probably a better idea than Teflon tape because metal epoxy is conductive.

Back