If Quake was made today..

i wish games would go back to their roots and learn and evolve from them and not come up with the crap as of late

Hah. Started to think there wasn't actually anyone who noticed this trend. Yep. Far as I'm concerned, gaming today is sh*t. Insulting to my intelligence, in fact.

I don't think it will ever go back to that level again, to widen the net to bring in more cash, stuff needs to get dumber and dumber. So advancing the gameplay would mean losing profit. I don't remember the last time I played a modern game and: a) Had to figure out how to do something by myself / actually think, and b) Felt a sense of accomplishment after doing so.

Hah. Started to think there wasn't actually anyone who noticed this trend. Yep. Far as I'm concerned, gaming today is sh*t. Insulting to my intelligence, in fact.

I don't think it will ever go back to that level again, to widen the net to bring in more cash, stuff needs to get dumber and dumber. So advancing the gameplay would mean losing profit. I don't remember the last time I played a modern game and: a) Had to figure out how to do something by myself / actually think, and b) Felt a sense of accomplishment after doing so.

Try Dark Souls

Try Dark Souls

An exception to the rule by the standards of today. Some devs still make games for gamers, and others make games for the masses. The same is true in other entertainment mediums as well.

Last edited:
Okay? Whatever you call it, you'd still look like a retard if you tried to do that in CS. It's an unrealistic and annoying tactic.

LOL wut.

1.3 had bunny hopping, and there were mods out to add it to 1.4 and up. Go back to your CS:Source (though admittedly Source is still 100x better than the shit that's out now).

LOL wut.

1.3 had bunny hopping, and there were mods out to add it to 1.4 and up. Go back to your CS:Source (though admittedly Source is still 100x better than the shit that's out now).
And what does the fact that it was removed tell you?

That like all advanced movment techniques it was originally a physics glitch due to engine limitations and they didn't make the same mistake on a new game? Duh.
I'm talking about how it was removed for 1.4. IIRC that wasn't a new engine.

Quality old school games were killed off by noobs wanting large maps, vehicles, realistic guns. With it they killed off the great shooters.

RIP Quake and UT.

Quality old school games were killed off by noobs wanting large maps, vehicles, realistic guns. With it they killed off the great shooters.

RIP Quake and UT.

Ummmm....at the time Unreal had MASSIVE maps dude, wututalkinbout

I miss good old fashion LANS...I started with Wofl3d and all the solid ID software, hand of fate, doom, hexen, rise of the triad, blah blah...countless hours with friends on the phone, with a headset on the cordless, no ventrillo, no teamspeak, most people didn't have any cable modem. if you had a low ping you were in college or at the office.

Quake 3 was still fun... but it was going downhill ;/

199135_204225366271714_204193062941611_697001_6601263_n.jpg

197077_204283152932602_204193062941611_698123_4821137_n.jpg

188636_204200956274155_204193062941611_696249_7081835_n.jpg

190166_204225409605043_204193062941611_697004_4760261_n.jpg

I remember the joys of playing Doom on my 2400 bps modem. You had to dial into a BBS and use "Sirdoom" to get connected. That was quite the undertaking.
Duke 3D had an in-game option to direct dial your friends, so I played a lot of 1-on-1 in that one.
Back then I thought the Internet based stuff in Quake would NEVER work since that was in the 14400 modem days. However once 56K kicked in, I was always amazed at how much fun the original CTF with the grappling hook was.

buddy was using toast.net pulling 120-150 ping with a 56k on heat.net, I was always around 200-220 with my 33.6 at the time.

We used to grin at people with the 4-8ms ping who were direct connect, then we'd annihilate them in the da-bomb mod exclusively by heat.net, lol.

oh man those were the days.......shudders. Everytime I bitch about something on the internet, I remember myself having to use dialup when I first started playing online (I had shitty lines too where I had lived and my modem would disconnect me usually within an hour of playing a game) and downloading patches. omg.

Then I realize it was all a bad dream........shudders.

Meh, who I am kidding? I will always find things to bitch about :D

buddy was using toast.net pulling 120-150 ping with a 56k on heat.net, I was always around 200-220 with my 33.6 at the time.

We used to grin at people with the 4-8ms ping who were direct connect, then we'd annihilate them in the da-bomb mod exclusively by heat.net, lol.

Man, heat.net and da bomb. I used to play that all the time. Don't remember what nick I went by back then, was a LONG time ago xD

Man, heat.net and da bomb. I used to play that all the time. Don't remember what nick I went by back then, was a LONG time ago xD

It was me (dhahlen) and my bud welfare (sometimes turdzwelfare), lol

Heat.net!
Whoa dude that takes me back. Man I remember spending HOURS in the chat rooms, Quake 2 DM, CTF, RA all the time. They even had this point system where you would get free stuff just for playing online. Loved the service. Sega was actually doing OK back then, before Seganet and the Dreamcast. I got a logitech force wheel pro from them, 200$ value at the time. Never seen anything else like Heat.net ever since.....

Heat.net!
Whoa dude that takes me back. Man I remember spending HOURS in the chat rooms, Quake 2 DM, CTF, RA all the time. They even had this point system where you would get free stuff just for playing online. Loved the service. Sega was actually doing OK back then, before Seganet and the Dreamcast. I got a logitech force wheel pro from them, 200$ value at the time. Never seen anything else like Heat.net ever since.....

Funny, that's me back in the day in the heat.net shirt :D

Yeah, they called them "degrees" - makes sense they went under... check out this strategy...

Takes 5000 degrees to get a copy of SCUD, you get 100 degrees for each hour you are logged on, and 200 degrees for each hour you were in a scheduled game. If you got in a "RAID" where a mod joined and watched you play, the top 3 players got degrees. If we played DA BOMB, we usually placed 1st or 2nd (between my buddy and 1), that was like a free 1000 degrees.

I am not sure of the exact points, but I remember it working just like that.

So, take 5000 degrees, get a copy of the HEAT.NET game SCUD, guess what's inside... a coupon for a FREE MONTH OF HEAT.NET

Therefore, a few days of gaming = free month of heat.net, it paid for itself.

Also remember Reniu, who went to the heat.net sponsored E3 venture for reaching a million degrees first. I think the top 3 players were sent.

Yeah, I miss HEAT.NET, funny that the guy I met off there is still a good friend to this day, hell, got him a job at the last place I worked, we've been friends for 12 years now.

Anyway, time to start a new thread... :)

I miss the days of Quake2 CTF for sure... I remember playing every night after work for like 2 months solid.. 5 hour sessions... on my celery 450 and TNT2.. good times good times!

Back