*If* my 3800x2 is bottlenecking my 7900gtx512, will it no longer do w/ new games?

Spoudazo

Gawd
I mean, newer games are utilizing dual cores (or quad, etc.) more it seems.

So I'm curious, when games like UT2007, etc. come out, will my 3800x2 start being like a 3.8ghz single core CPU instead of the rated 2.0ghz AMD it currently is? I want to overclock it, but I have to buy a good fan, etc. for it first. :)

Maby if the games are mutlithreaded effectivly, then yes you might see up to a 80% increase over what 1 core would give you, however who knows when games will actually come out that make a significant difference to duel cores, I think quake IV was the last one, and it only made about 30-40% increase. (correct me if I'm wrong)

im also wondering cuz i have a x2 as well and i hope game are useing duel core more effective

would there be a way to modd a game to utilize 2 cores?

mrmodman said:
im also wondering cuz i have a x2 as well and i hope game are useing duel core more effective

would there be a way to modd a game to utilize 2 cores?

If thier is I don't know it, although thier are a few tweaks for a very few amount of games, only ones I know of are Quake IV and Oblivion, although I tried the Oblivion tweaks and havn't really noticed any difference.

sculelos said:
I think quake IV was the last one, and it only made about 30-40% increase. (correct me if I'm wrong)

More like 3% to 4% :( :p Q4 actually is poorly coded, period, for dual cores. In some rigs turning on SMP actually made it run slower, and many machines simply crash the game....

TheRapture said:
More like 3% to 4% :( :p Q4 actually is poorly coded, period, for dual cores. In some rigs turning on SMP actually made it run slower, and many machines simply crash the game....

yea, I just assumed the power increase, although I've never played Quake so I don't know how buggy it is.

Well some good news, on the side :)

I thought my card was bad due to some artifacting in BF2, so I uninstalled the drivers, ran cab cleaner from Driver Cleaner Pro then cleaned the drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro and I haven't seen any more artifacting sine then, praise the Lord! :D

If your jacking the graphics your fine. My 3200 isnt much of a bottleneck for my x1900xt.

TheRapture said:

That's funny, it runs without any reliability problems on my machine. Though I can't tell a huge speed increase from it.

if youre playing at 1024x768 a 1.8ghz x2 would be a bottleneck but with your card i guess ur playing a lot higher res with aa/af so i dont think its your cpu thats the bottleneck

Back