If money was no concern, what gaming headset to get?

To help answer the question: do you want / need a headset? Or would separate, higher quality headphones and microphone be acceptable?

I'd need to try out more headsets to see what I'm missing out on. I'm currently using a Sennheiser 598se and I love it. I don't plan on looking at anything else until these things break or die.

I'd need to try out more headsets to see what I'm missing out on. I'm currently using a Sennheiser 598se and I love it. I don't plan on looking at anything else until these things break or die.

It's a bit of a balance- the HD598 (and all of the post HD6-- designs) are some of the most comfortable ever made. What's more, is that for gaming a better pair of headphones isn't necessarily better. Too much bass distorts/overwhelms other sounds, too much detail (likely treble) can be fatiguing. I think Sennheiser hit a pretty good balance, if perhaps a touch bass light, with their open cans. Their closed ones might be perfect, unless open cans are preferred.

To redrum448: do you prefer isolation / damping, or would you prefer something that lets you hear sounds around you? The former is most common with headsets, but the latter can be better for positional audio.

With respect to microphones, you can pick up a USB desktop mic from Blue Microphones (like the Yeti).

I assume you mean open vs closed design? i dont know really.....

I currently am only playing PUBG and am looking for a new headset (to hear directions better I suppose) as the current headset i have corsair h60s are barely serviceable.

I also currently have a desktop mic and Logitech Z680s that I use when im not using a headset....

Which leads to question 2, should I just plug my headset into the logitech POD as the speaker system is true 5.1 ? (as opposed to using the fake 7.1 usb dongle the headset came with)

Have you considered IEMs? For positional audio in PUBG, I have had the best results versus open/closed cans. I personally use Westone/Shure/CampfireAudio, not in any specific order of preference. If you want a quality headset, forget the integrated mic, it will limit your options.

for reference, I also bought THESE as a throwaway set, and I was surprised at what you can get for $60.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If money is no object (Or you save up your pennies), I'd stay away from "gaming" headsets

However, if I HAD to get a "Gaming" headset: Victrix Pro AF.

I stay away from wireless headsets citing problems i've had with every wireless headset I've owned. It's not worth the hassle.

I own the Beyerdynamics MMX 300 gen 1 It's the best gaming headset its based on the dt770 the mic has been compared to studio quality I play rainbow 6 ghost recon and division 2 being able to hear foot steps and knowing which way there moving is what makes them standout

Gaming headsets I own/owned MMX 300 Sennheiser pc373 and pc37x & Audeze Mobius

Well if money is really no concern I would get a completely separate receiver and connect it with HDMI.
Then get the best regular headphones you can buy and attach a ModMic to them.

It's a decent DAC/Amp/software bundle, but looks overpowered for your uses- 600Ω impedence support would be nice if you were spending ~$US1000 just on specific headphones (and not just any expensive headphones).

But it would work.

Those Focal Elex look like the set to get but they set you back 700.00 on Mass Drop.
I paid less for my speaker set and I'm sure my speakers sound better.

Money is no object? HD800S or the earlier suggested Stax. Add a modmic and never buy headphones again.

I used to use Sennheiser HD 650s for gaming and I LOVE them. I paired them with a Blue Yeti. The issue I ran into was it was hard to avoid extra noise (computer, surroundings, keyboard etc.) from feeding through the mic as well as the open air headphones.

I ended up buying a Beyerdynamics MMX 300 (v2) headset and paired with my Sound Blaster ZXR. These are a great match for gaming and even light music listening actually. The mic is very good and combined with the sound filters available on the ZXR can basically filter out all background noise and doesn't even really pick up my mechanical keyboard very often in voice chat.

Hard to argue with those Beyers for the purpose- assume they're like luxed-up DT770's with a mic?

That is how I hear them described. I haven't heard DT770s myself to compare.

I don't expect the 'signature' to be much different, but yeah, you'd probably want to be able to do an A / B comparison to provide a useful subjective critique.

Back