If I upgrade my DSL from 512/128 to 512/512 will I see a big improvement in pings?

AceTKK

Gawd
I'm considering stepping up the next tier of DSL service. My current connection has a 512k down and only 128k up. For $20 more/month I can go to 512/512 or for $60 more I can get 1.5/768. My only goal is to get better pings for online gaming, I'm usually at 125+ on my clan server for DC while my friends get 30-40. Would upgrading to a higher bandwidth package improve my pings?

thanks,
-Ace-

I didn't notice a difference a tall when I upgraded from 512/128 to 1.5/256. However, my kid can now surf the net while I am gaming and I don't notice any lag at all.

Ping rates are generally a matter of routing, distance, and line quality. Bandwidth is usually independent of ping. Chances are they won't be changing your lines, just bumping up a cap, so your pings will likely remain the same.

only thing yoeru getting from 512/128 to 512/512 is your upload bandwidth higher, should help improve your ping if your running the actual server but other then that you download and ping should remain the same do to the same bandwidth, you would see a big diffrence in kazza sharing for your uploads. dont really know how it made a change on your kids surfing with you gaming cause its same bandwidth on the downloads.

ohhh yeah the one point five would help ping truemendesly. me thinking about upgrading to that

Originally posted by SCG)Disciple
ohhh yeah the one point five would help ping truemendesly. me thinking about upgrading to that

How exactly? Unless you're flooding your current connection, round trip of a ping is dependent on (0.5*c*distance over wire + ~0.95*c*distance over fibre + (0.98*c*distance in atmophere + c*distance in space to sattelite) + routing delay)*2.

If you flood the connection, yes, ping will be dependent on bandwidth, otherwise it's the restraints of the physical medium and routing that will affect your ping.

I have uncapped/128 cable and I guarantee my pings to most US sites are higher than people with dialup who actually live in the same hemisphere...

You will get the same ping on a 512/128, 768/256, or even 1.5/1.5 for 1 person playing an online game. Online games simply don't USE that much bandwidth, and bandwidth doesn't equal ping.

But online games use enough bandwidth that upgrading to broadband from 56k would help tremendously, correct?

Originally posted by Thrash
But online games use enough bandwidth that upgrading to broadband from 56k would help tremendously, correct?

Yes. But getting a faster upload\download isnt gonna make his latency decrease by much. I say get cable I miss it and its way better then dsl, bandwidth and ping wise. It was for me anyway

Thrash,

Yes basically, a ping itself probably wouldn't be that much higher as it does a 32byte packet by default but most games as far as I know use much bigger packets so it obviously has impact an but it is only really noticable going from dial up to anything about 128k.

Incidentally the reason that DSL is slower than a leased line (T1, E1 whatever) is not because the leased line is faster but because your traffic doesn't have to leave your PC, go to DSLAM in your local exchange, multiplex, go to the backbone, traverse the backbone, hit the server and then do the same in reverse.

A certain amount of latency is also incurred depending on the Tier1 supplier who supplies your ISP's backbone as well, so for example one backbone carrier can route from Europe to the US in 60ms whilst another might take 90ms which all obviously gets carried on to you. (People directly or indirectly using worldcom are usually worst off as their network chokes at various points around the world so your traffic sits in a little traffic jam until it gets through that)

it also depends on what servers your running at, you are only going to ping the lowest that the server can ping. plus if you are having multiple things runnnig using your bandwidth your ping will rise, so that proves that it has something to do with bandwidth weather or not it physically, technically does.:)

It is not worth the money. If there is a difference, it will be marginal.

Back