If I only want a HMD...

Hey guys! I'm a n00b when it comes to VR, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

If I only want an HMD that will replace my monitor, if I still want to sit at my desk and use my KB&M to play my games, if I'm not interested in motion tracking or any of the "full VR experience" hardware...

...what product or products should I be looking at?

Thanks for the link! Useful info in that thread. I'd seen that brand on Newegg but I'm pretty leary of Chinese brands until I've seen a good amount of positive reviewing and feedback.

No problem

It's been pretty well received on here for sure.

Couple things. You can't see shit when you have these on. You won't be able to look at the keyboard in any meaningful way when wearing a HMD.

Secondly, it's weird when the screen becomes fixed. Sometime games will go fixed while loading or when locked up and it's weird. Your senses don't know how to interpret it.

If you are looking for privacy or discretion or something (like headphones), I guess I could understand. But the 2 things you are asking about, really go against the purpose of these units. So they aren't designed with that in mind.

Couple things. You can't see shit when you have these on. You won't be able to look at the keyboard in any meaningful way when wearing a HMD.

Secondly, it's weird when the screen becomes fixed. Sometime games will go fixed while loading or when locked up and it's weird. Your senses don't know how to interpret it.

If you are looking for privacy or discretion or something (like headphones), I guess I could understand. But the 2 things you are asking about, really go against the purpose of these units. So they aren't designed with that in mind.
I'm pretty comfortable with my gaming peripherals; I don't really need to look at them while playing.

I wasn't really looking for much other than the "immersion" factor for first-person games. But, it seems like the technology isn't really there yet. I have a choice of low resolution and passable refresh rate, or decent resolution and 60fps... which is a gamble as I read it makes some folks sick.

I don't think I'm a customer for HMDs yet. Thanks for sharing your experience with them, though!

I'm pretty comfortable with my gaming peripherals; I don't really need to look at them while playing.

I wasn't really looking for much other than the "immersion" factor for first-person games. But, it seems like the technology isn't really there yet. I have a choice of low resolution and passable refresh rate, or decent resolution and 60fps... which is a gamble as I read it makes some folks sick.

I don't think I'm a customer for HMDs yet. Thanks for sharing your experience with them, though!
The Rift and Vive look good if you have at least a 1070/980ti. The new Odyssey has even more resolution. The immersion factor is huge.

I have been using the HP WMR. It works fairly well but I second the comment above that using a headset and still trying to type / move your mouse could prove to be rather challenging. If the karate kid can learn to fight with a blind fold, I think you can manage it though.

Back