If I had to replace an Abit IS7-E what would I do ?

BillParrish

Supreme [H]ardness
If I needed to replace an ABIT IS7-E I would....

1st - remove the cpu Fan/HeatSink on the old board. clean the thermal paste off and post here what the numbers on the CPU are so we could absolutley make sure the board below would support that CPU.

If a raid HD array has not been created with that board you should be able to replace it with about any board that will take the memory cpu and video card (if equipped). The trick would be to install the new board and boot immedately inot the bios and set you options as needed but disable everything like on-board sound, network chip, serial/parallel ports etc. all the hardware other than the HD. Then reboot and hit F8 as you go into windows and select "safe mode" . In safe mode uninstall all the dirvers for the old board. Check in ADD/Remove programs and in the hardware manager applet. Clean it all out including the video card. Reboot and go back into safe mode and double check Hardware Manager is clean. Look through it carefully and remove any left over drivers. Make sure "show hidden devices" at top is checked and run through the system devices looking for non-Micorsoft stuff like USB drivers. Reboot and then install the drivers off the disk for the new motherboard. Reboot and do the video. Reboot and look in device manage again for any problems.

If a raid has been made its not a big issue just need a board with an Intel ICH5 or better southbridge so the raid will be instantly recognized by the new board and the ASrock below has an ICH5 so no worries.

If you can find a board that uses :
Intel 865PE chipset

the key things will be (they made a bunch of different versions of the 865 chipset) 800MHz CPU buss speed support, and support for DDR 400 memory and AGP8x if a video card is being used.

What I did was go to Pricewatch.com and go to motherboard and then under chipset pick Intel 865
http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/motherboards/intel_865

Several there should do the trick if it is a standard case. Offhand I like the :

AS Rock America ASRock P4i65PE-M Micro-ATX Socket 478 400 533 800FSB Prescott Mainboard.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4i65PE-M

AS Rock America
ASRock P4i65PE-M Micro-ATX Socket 478 400 533 800FSB Prescott Mainboard for Pentium 4 and Celeron CPU's with DDR AGP 8X Serial ATA 6 Channel Audio 10 100 LAN Micro-ATX Form Factor - Intel 865 PE Chipset
StorePart# MB-SK-478-ASR-I65PEM+1
ManPart# P4I65PE-M

877-3BTECH8 574-233-0508
$35.99
Price $35.99

Mini ATX so you will have to move a couple of the motherboard mounting standoffs in the case but the smaller board size is easier to work with.

Boards with a "G" in the chipset number will have on-board graphics.

The Asrock (budget division of ASUS) should give good performane and be flexable enough to work fine. I would look up the memory and video card compatibility/specs on the ASROCK board before making a final decision. One of the Intel boards would likely work fine but there are so many versions I do not have time to look on Intel.com for the ins and outs of each chipset. You have to be carefull some 865 chipset boards would only do a 533 MHz CPU buss so its all in the letters following the "865" that tells you want a board will do and that can be dug out of Intel.com if you want to bother.

I am about 90% sure that Asrock will be fine, just double check video card with ASROCK web site.

-------------------------------------------------------
IS7-E specs from Abit for reference

Intel 865PE Chipset Pentium 4 Mainboard
DUAL DDR 400, AGP 8X, USB 2.0
SoftMenu™ Technology

Specifications

CPU
Supports Intel Pentium 4 Socket 478 processors(Prescott and Northwood) with 800/533/400 MHz FSB
Supports Intel Hyper-Threading Technology

Chipset
Intel 865PE / ICH5
Supports Dual Channel DDR 400 Memory
Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)

Memory
Four 184-pin DIMM sockets
Supports 4 DIMM Single/Dual Channel DDR 400 memory (Max. 4GB)

AGP
Accelerated Graphics Port connector supports AGP 8X/4X (0.8V/1.5V)

SATA
On board 2 channels Serial ATA 150MB/s data transfer rate

LAN
On board 10/100Mb LAN

USB 2.0
8 ports USB 2.0 Supports 480 Mb/s data transfer rate

Audio
6-Channel AC 97 CODEC on board
Professional digital audio interface supports S/P DIF optical In / Out

System BIOS
SoftMenu™ Technology to set CPU parameters
Supports Plug-and-Play (PNP)
Supports Advanced Configuration Power Interface (ACPI)
Write-Protect Anti-Virus function by AWARD BIOS

Internal I/O Connectors
1 x AGP, 5 x PCI slots
1 x IrDA
1 x Floppy Port supports up to 2.88MB
2 x Ultra DMA 33/66/100 Connectors
4 x Serial ATA 150 Connectors (2 x Optional)
2 x USB 2.0 headers
1 x CD-IN, 1 x AUX-IN

Back Panel I/O
1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 mouse
1 x Printer Port, 1 x COM port
1 x S/PDIF In connector, 1 x S/PDIF Out connector
1 x Audio connector (Front Speaker, Line-in, Mic-in)
1 x Audio connector (Center/Sub, Surround Speaker)
2 x USB 2.0
2 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45 LAN Connector

Miscellaneous
ATX form factor
Hardware Monitoring- Including Fan speed, Voltages, CPU and System temperature

Last edited:
Im confused about what is going on here? The op deleted his post?

edit: oh looks like the forums took a rollback, maybe I don't know.

The original post violated rule 16 and I was forced to delete it. I later found some free time and attempted to help the OP with his issue.

Back