If I get a Faroudja dvd player will my projector get a progressive signal?

umbra

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an infocus x1a and was wondering if a dvd player with a Faroudja chip would upscale my tv signal, vhs and dvd signals so I can get a progressive image on my projector any ideas?

no. not unless the DVD player has upscaling inputs, which most don't. Most DVD players don't have inputs at all, just outputs. Some receivers have this feature.

do you mean cable receivers or satellie receivers. I want to increase the picture quality and try and get around the fact that it doesn't have an upscaler. are there simple upscallers you can buy online somewhere?

Neither, he means an audio receiver. What your looking for is a line doubler (or more), be ready to pay. That Faroudja chip only deinterlaces the picture, which your X1A is already doing for all the inputs you have (but not with a Faroudja chip).

Check here for some more info.

Your picture is only going to be as good as the source. FYI, component isn't a digital connection, all 3 of those are analog. A line doubler would possibly work, the problem is unless you have component outs on the devices your trying to improve, the best your going to get with 2X lines is a 480 progressive since your just removing the interlacing lines at 2X with an interlaced source. Your already getting this just by plugging something into the X1A thats interlaced since its deinterlacing it before displaying it. I'm not really sure what your trying to go for here...

which source are you trying to improve? that might help. What Sinclair is trying to tell you is that the x1a has a video processor in it that will do as well as just about anything in the low price category. at this point, the most cost effective way to improve your image quality is to improve the source. If your no using satellite already, consider it. the picture quality is way better than regular TV and noticably better than analog cable.

sorry about being unclear. I want to use it to project video from my xbox and was looking for a way to get higher video quality. the x1 which has a better picture then this has a Faroudja chip in it and from what I've read is the source of the improvement. I have cable and was looking for a good cheap way of improving the quality so I didn't have to switch services because that is my fathers decision not mine. What I was looking for was a loophole I could exploit like if I got a Faroudja dvd player it would convert the picture to higher quality in place of the one that infocus removed. thereby improving the picture

for the xbox, are you usign the HD video pack with component cables? If so it will be outputting 480p on games that support it. You aren't going to improve on that much, if at all. If youw atn the best image, go with an x2vga and run VGA to the projector.

I would be using monster cable component and a x1a component to vga adapter cables for component video. Was wondering if there would be any difference between an x2vga in comparison to a simple component to vga adapter? the projector says it supports 576p 720p 1080i http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus-X1a.htm

the component to VGA cable just changes the plug at the end. it is still an component signal. With the x1 you have input a non progressive signal to the svideo input to use the onboard processing. if you put a progressive signal into the svideo it will bypass the processing. The VGA port is pinned to accept a component signal or a VGA signal, but it will not process it.

Now the x2vga transcodes the signal to a native VGA and is supposed to increase the resolution. So yes, on paper there is a benefit to the x2vga. plus if you have an HTPC you can use the monitor pass through to go VGA to your projector as well. As far as I have been able to find, the x2vga is the only economical way to improve the xbox signal at all. I have an x1 and an xbox and am thinking of doing the x2vga. depends on how long I take to get the new xbox 360 with native VGA adapter.

yeah I was just going to mention the 360 has native vga out. do you know if it will maintain it's normal output resolution like it would to a tv or go to pc standards like 640*480 or 800*600?

Everything above is correct...

But take what IDversusEGO said and then do this...

You can use the HTPC to scale/cleanup your picture. Check out Dscaler. Its a prog that will cleanup and scale most analog sources...lots of people use it. Best bet for help using it though is to head over to avsfourm. Hit their forums and head on into the HTPC area. There were (are) TV Capture/Tuner/Input cards that are better than others for doing what you need. Skip the line doubler/line quadrupler...I would go into this expecting to get a cleaned up picture, but as for adding detail, fagetaboutit. From my experience, newer material gets a slight benefit, but older material (lower quality) just has all of the picture noise amplified. And my experiences have been all digital (DVI), not much of a bene.

NOOOOOOO. he is talking a gaming console. any HTPC processing will introduce lag and kill gameplay.

oh and have you tried pc gaming on this projector before as a second monitor?

I have an infocus x1a and was wondering if a dvd player with a Faroudja chip would upscale my tv signal, vhs and dvd signals so I can get a progressive image on my projector any ideas?

Now granted, he mentions Xbox later in the post, and you are correct it produces a couple second lag which is enough to kill it as a xbox scaler, but recheck his original post...

yeah, I know his original post said all that, but somehow we got focused on the cosole. for static video playback, using the HTPC would be the best route. of course, I don't think he ever said he actually HAS an HTPC.

as for PC gamig, I have never bothered. the res is low and I use a 16:9 screen. gaming at 800x450 would suck. now when i upgrade to a 1280x720 projector I will game on it.

so for tv I should get something like a theater 550 and then reroute it through the video port on my pc? and display it on my secondary monitor (projector) then when I should get a x2vga for xbox and use the vga adapter for the xbox 360?

well there is no rerouting, but I think you have the idea. the 550 will accept the TV signal and create an Mpeg file on your hard drive. then you can run post processing on the mpeg and play it on whatever monitor you are using. whether it is a monitor, projector or TV. and yes, the x2vga is your best cost to benefit option for the xbox.

I just got it home. turns out I don't need anything for it. it is awsome as it is but I will be buying that x2vga and the 360 will be using the vga cable

you ready for this it's broken :( it had trouble lighting the bulb so I returned it and am waiting for it to arrive already a day overdue

Back