If Doom was made in 2012 ...

Eh. Not really sure why you found it so funny. CoD4 and BLOPS 1 actually had a decent single player, there are better games to make fun of. The ad was kind of funny, but I've never seen one outside of the ones in 2142, and those weren't even obnoxious.

Eh. Not really sure why you found it so funny. CoD4 and BLOPS 1 actually had a decent single player, there are better games to make fun of. The ad was kind of funny, but I've never seen one outside of the ones in 2142, and those weren't even obnoxious.

A+ for COMPLETELY missing the points. Maybe they'll have to make it a little easier for you.

Dude? Really? REALLY?

*sigh*.......

Only thing it was missing was a "Press CTRL to Crouch" when he had to duck under that low wall.

I guess adding a troll face would help.

I wonder how many kids would watch this video and actually think it's a good game? That scares me a little bit.

A+ for COMPLETELY missing the points. Maybe they'll have to make it a little easier for you.

"Press E to not miss the point."

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED - KEYBOARD WARRIOR
Perform a button prompt.

I do miss not having your hand held and just being thrown into the frenzy right off the bat :/

Brilliant! But true :(

In before the obligatory "Doom level design in 1994 vs. modern level design" picture. It's like they can't have anything but scripted set piece A connected to scripted set piece B with a hallway in between. If I was actually a level designer these days I'd hate my job. Levels used to be so much more creative.

I do miss not having your hand held and just being thrown into the frenzy right off the bat :/

There used to be things called instruction booklets. Granted most don't read them, but if you got stuck ad didn't read it's your own fault.

There used to be things called instruction booklets. Granted most don't read them, but if you got stuck ad didn't read it's your own fault.

An old game I have, Lords of Magic, actually had a story in the manual. Now that is what I call a true effort. I do kind of miss the nice manuals of the old days :(

Only thing it was missing was a "Press CTRL to Crouch" when he had to duck under that low wall.

I was waiting for this myself.

Its sad how true this video is of gameplay mechanics in most shooters these days. I'll admit that if the storyline is compelling I can overlook corridor mechanics, but that has to be one hell of a story. Metro 2033 and Singularity are two that immediately come to mind. Just my experience.

An old game I have, Lords of Magic, actually had a story in the manual. Now that is what I call a true effort. I do kind of miss the nice manuals of the old days :(

Yeah, most of the older games I still hold on to have manuals/booklets that have instructions and stories. Back in the day I used to read through it while the game was installing. Notably, WarCraft I and II and Diablo I come to mind. Great stories.

Ugh, I hated Lords of Magic. I was expecting a better likeness to Master of Magic and got.... THAT.

Ugh, I hated Lords of Magic. I was expecting a better likeness to Master of Magic and got.... THAT.

Oh I had no idea what was going on in that game most of the time :D

I just remember whenever I started to do really well, I would get that bullshit "Yes Yes I'm coming" crap and I guess that is when the game ended itself! :mad:

You'd think it was the first time he'd seen a video game with a story told in medias res.

You actually needed them for many games. Could you imagine trying to play the likes of Betrayal At Krondor or Mech Warrior without at least perusing the manual first?

This video was not as good as the Quake one though. They tried to include too many of the dumb downs and the video just ended up dragging on.

I liked the point made with this one. bonus points for referencing the doom novels.

Definitely hilarious...Loved the $4 Achievement for staring at the advertisements :p

You actually needed them for many games. Could you imagine trying to play the likes of Betrayal At Krondor or Mech Warrior without at least perusing the manual first?

Looking at the manual for MechWarrior games added to the immersion for me.

Best "If X was made today" video I've seen. Hilarious. And it made me want to fire up Doom. Such a great game.

They even used XBox 360 textures for this video - just to give it that modern day feel.

Awesome video. My buddies never do understand why I refuse to buy games like Halo 4 and the Call of Duty du jour. This explains it nicely.

FPS is a dead genre... Am I the only one that doesn't want to play some dumbed down army man shooter? I yearn for a fantasy tournament style FPS ala Quake/UT.. Maybe the community could get it done better then the big guys. Until then I'm stuck playing 6 year old+ Shooters with barely any community left. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older but these new games are just not for me.

You are dieing, take cover!

One thing I just realize is, those who haven't played Doom would need to see this version side by side of the original to appreciate how much FPS's have changed.

FPS is a dead genre... Am I the only one that doesn't want to play some dumbed down army man shooter? I yearn for a fantasy tournament style FPS ala Quake/UT.. Maybe the community could get it done better then the big guys. Until then I'm stuck playing 6 year old+ Shooters with barely any community left. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older but these new games are just not for me.

I've said it before. Best game would be

Unreal singleplayer + UT/2k3/2k4 style multiplayer

Or

Quake 1/2 singeplayer + Quake 3 multiplayer

Obviously on new engines

I look at the FPS genre and see an evolution into games like Fallout, Skyrim, etc.
I'm long over games like COD, but think that the first person 3D perspective is terrific for immersion in other genres.
Too often we see game makers shoehorning shooter mechanics onto games that would be better served as a slower paced game that isn't a poor man's Doom.
I think the Half-Life games (1 or 2) are a prime example of what I'm thinking of. They're remarkably slow for a shooter, but they do a great job of telling a larger story without so much baggage.

This video was not as good as the Quake one though. They tried to include too many of the dumb downs and the video just ended up dragging on.

Oh, definitely... then again, back in the old days, you needed them more because you had to tell them what word was on what page and stuff or else they don't let you play. Old school DRM.

With the advent of digital distribution, I think instructions are dying out a little - but I'd rather see some kind of digital manual system (like the portable systems have) than those idiotic tutorials half the games force you through.
I wish Steam was consistent about giving you instruction manuals.

There is no need to have a shooting range at the intro of the game. That is for kids(CoD).

Doom is not for kids:)

That was spot on, hilarious.

Btw, after watching that I ended up being linked to the Video Game High School series. Some serious lol moments in that one.

Back