If both were priced the same, which ?

I read that DX12 largely broke sli.
It's really more like, the game developer has to specifically support the use of two GPUs independent of SLI.

Power/heat/noise limitations are the best reason I can think of to prefer the 2080 Ti over a Titan RTX. The 2080 Ti likely draws a little less power, and by virtue of board partner variants is available with better, quieter heatsinks.

I read that DX12 largely broke sli.

Not really. What it meant was that multi-GPU support shifted from AMD/NVIDIA to the game developers as they now have to support the feature through the use of the DirectX API. Its the same thing that had to be done in Vulcan, as Vulcan gained multi-GPU support separately from the drivers. On one hand, NVIDIA and AMD don't have to create SLI/Crossfire profiles anymore for games, but the bad news is that its up to the developers. The problem being that it takes additional time and money to implement the feature which wasn't widely used in the first place. Many games are also multi-platform titles and multi-GPU just isn't needed or isn't on the developer's list of priorities. It sucks, but there it is.

The only way we'll see a real resurgence in multi-GPUs is if NVIDIA or AMD can figure out how to make them work explicitly in hardware and be totally independent of the API.

RTX Titian of course. Even if it would be for SLI 2080ti. The single Titian would still be faster in modern games since the lack of SLI support these days.

Not really. What it meant was that multi-GPU support shifted from AMD/NVIDIA to the game developers as they now have to support the feature through the use of the DirectX API. Its the same thing that had to be done in Vulcan, as Vulcan gained multi-GPU support separately from the drivers. On one hand, NVIDIA and AMD don't have to create SLI/Crossfire profiles anymore for games, but the bad news is that its up to the developers. The problem being that it takes additional time and money to implement the feature which wasn't widely used in the first place. Many games are also multi-platform titles and multi-GPU just isn't needed or isn't on the developer's list of priorities. It sucks, but there it is.

The only way we'll see a real resurgence in multi-GPUs is if NVIDIA or AMD can figure out how to make them work explicitly in hardware and be totally independent of the API.

So DX12 didn't so much "break" SLI as "kill" it.

2080ti

Or

Rtx titan

Have both... Titan RTX is stronger card in every game I play (use 240Hz monitor) and of course it does solid job for work too... It may no do that many more max frames over Ti, however, it does do a good amount better job with min. frames (I mostly only play FPS games) which is what I look for in graphic cards I keep in my main system.

I'd take the (aftermarket) 2080 Ti because the Titan cooler is meh, the TDP is limited, and there's no 0% fan mode, and the BIOS is hardlocked to a minimum fan speed of 41% which is atrocious. To me quality of life is better than 3-4% higher max fps.

I'd take the (aftermarket) 2080 Ti because the Titan cooler is meh, the TDP is limited, and there's no 0% fan mode, and the BIOS is hardlocked to a minimum fan speed of 41% which is atrocious. To me quality of life is better than 3-4% higher max fps.

I use EVGA Precision X1 software to custom curve fans on both my Ti and Titan RTX - neither are hard locked - Stock (founders cards) the Titan runs fans far less hard (its lower base clocks at that too than Ti) - max fps in most games are 5 to 8% up to as much as 12 to 14% faster before getting into custom fan curves - Games like CoD BO4 and BF5 The Titan RTX min. frames on 240Hz monitor are far better in real games (50+ frames) - Hate Titan for whatever reason you may, but make no mistake (price aside) its a beast - EK (and others) have after market coolers, Arctic has after market air cooling (unless case air flow sucks, using EVGA X1 or the like software for fan curves gives nice boost, never has temps been a problem for me).

Meh cooling.
I saw a video use a CPU heatsink onna vidcard, sounds good to me.

I had enough water in the Navy, air is The Way.

I got a silver arrow for my threadripper and if it covers the hot bits it would look cool sticking out the side of my case.

I use EVGA Precision X1 software to custom curve fans on both my Ti and Titan RTX - neither are hard locked - Stock (founders cards) the Titan runs fans far less hard (its lower base clocks at that too than Ti) - max fps in most games are 5 to 8% up to as much as 12 to 14% faster before getting into custom fan curves - Games like CoD BO4 and BF5 The Titan RTX min. frames on 240Hz monitor are far better in real games (50+ frames) - Hate Titan for whatever reason you may, but make no mistake (price aside) its a beast - EK (and others) have after market coolers, Arctic has after market air cooling (unless case air flow sucks, using EVGA X1 or the like software for fan curves gives nice boost, never has temps been a problem for me).

Not sure if you're getting bad data but from what I just looked at the min fps (0.1%) is virtually the same (1-5 fps difference) between the titan and 2080 ti. That was multiple games, multiple resolutions, etc.

I'm not able to lower my idle Titan RTX fan speed with either Precision or Afterburner to a satisfactory amount. Can you show a screenshot of you running the card's fan speed on either software at say, 15% or so? Not saying I don't believe you; maybe I am doing something wrong.

Not sure if you're getting bad data but from what I just looked at the min fps (0.1%) is virtually the same (1-5 fps difference) between the titan and 2080 ti. That was multiple games, multiple resolutions, etc.

Maybe you have a bad Titan (or system issue of sorts)... those numbers are lower than any review (and anything sensible) - It's going to be faster (and is) no matter hard on the Titan RTX with more CUDA Cores, RT Core, Texture Units, higher boost rates, more memory, larger memory bus, more memory bandwidth, more ROPs, more L2 Cache - It's simply superior card period (from hardware vs hardware/performance viewpoint).

Personally I've found similar trends as most of the reviews in that 1080P the min. frames are nearly as much (or more) as average frames of Ti, as move up to 1440P it narrows however still favors Titan and of course at 4K other factors kick in with still put Titan 5 to 8% up to as much as 12 to 14% faster before getting into custom fan curves.

Everyone has a favorite - that being said, price Titan RTX at the 2080 Ti price and it would with little doubt sell much stronger than it does today (its a stronger card like it or not it almost if not everything and every way). I suppose your comment matches those that say 2080 was already nearly as fast as Ti, and now with Super who is ever going to buy a Ti (under thought its 0.1% faster).

I'm not able to lower my idle Titan RTX fan speed with either Precision or Afterburner to a satisfactory amount. Can you show a screenshot of you running the card's fan speed on either software at say, 15% or so? Not saying I don't believe you, maybe I am doing something wrong.
-------
I had to remove all my NZXT software (that was the only thing I've ran into that actually with it loaded, my fan rates locked at 61% - don't know why, and never looked into it further). If you really are having issue with X1 (use latest version, or v3.19 or newer) I can PM you after I'm done with couple hardware parts and 2 software (game) being tested under NDA on this system (once I'm done I'll pull Titan RTX and put back into my TR2950X system) - But lets face it, screen shot is going to do zero for you (help) if your really having problems.

On opening screen (X1) software - go to lower left (Fan Speed), check that its on auto (I like to click chain link so custom curves affect both fans without having to set both fan curves) - click arrow (temp tuner page), click again for Fan Curve Control Screen - click box fan curve control (should be solid purple) - in drop down select Custom - now bump lines (both of them) up for each temp (I start my curve at 30c with bumps at 50c and 60c and 90c) - click apply - then click setup in upper right, in setup click start with OS, I check start minimized, apply - you should hear fans ramp up or down if you changed them - its as simple as that - of course they will not go lower than you've set them for temps picked.

That's it... Both Ti and Titan works same way (make certain the X1 is in system tray lower right bottom win10) - Side note can find bios (and nvidia flash tool) at tech power up (here):

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=NVIDIA&model=Titan+RTX

-------
I had to remove all my NZXT software (that was the only thing I've ran into that actually with it loaded, my fan rates locked at 61% - don't know why, and never looked into it further). If you really are having issue with X1 (use latest version, or v3.19 or newer) I can PM you after I'm done with couple hardware parts and 2 software (game) being tested under NDA on this system (once I'm done I'll pull Titan RTX and put back into my TR2950X system) - But lets face it, screen shot is going to do zero for you (help) if your really having problems.

On opening screen (X1) software - go to lower left (Fan Speed), check that its on auto (I like to click chain link so custom curves affect both fans without having to set both fan curves) - click arrow (temp tuner page), click again for Fan Curve Control Screen - click box fan curve control (should be solid purple) - in drop down select Custom - now bump lines (both of them) up for each temp (I start my curve at 30c with bumps at 50c and 60c and 90c) - click apply - then click setup in upper right, in setup click start with OS, I check start minimized, apply - you should hear fans ramp up or down if you changed them - its as simple as that - of course they will not go lower than you've set them for temps picked.

That's it... Both Ti and Titan works same way (make certain the X1 is in system tray lower right bottom win10) - Side note can find bios (and nvidia flash tool) at tech power up (here):

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?manufacturer=NVIDIA&model=Titan+RTX

Huh? That's a very bizarre canned response. You made a claim that there's no minimum fan speed. On both software I cannot reduce the fan speed below the minimum threshold because there's a dotted line telling me that's the BIOS minimum. According to you, there is no minimum, so if it's so easy to lower the fan to 15% or 0% for you on a reference card you should be able to substantiate that claim. I'm gonna guess either A) you can't substantiate your claim or B) you are running on a modified BIOS.

Maybe you have a bad Titan (or system issue of sorts)... those numbers are lower than any review (and anything sensible) - It's going to be faster (and is) no matter hard on the Titan RTX with more CUDA Cores, RT Core, Texture Units, higher boost rates, more memory, larger memory bus, more memory bandwidth, more ROPs, more L2 Cache - It's simply superior card period (from hardware vs hardware/performance viewpoint).

Personally I've found similar trends as most of the reviews in that 1080P the min. frames are nearly as much (or more) as average frames of Ti, as move up to 1440P it narrows however still favors Titan and of course at 4K other factors kick in with still put Titan 5 to 8% up to as much as 12 to 14% faster before getting into custom fan curves.

Everyone has a favorite - that being said, price Titan RTX at the 2080 Ti price and it would with little doubt sell much stronger than it does today (its a stronger card like it or not it almost if not everything and every way). I suppose your comment matches those that say 2080 was already nearly as fast as Ti, and now with Super who is ever going to buy a Ti (under thought its 0.1% faster).

I do not own a titan, I was looking at a review of it vs. lots of other cards. Your number of 50+ fps difference was in a whole different league than anything I saw.

Titan it is, thank you all except for the bastich who used the term "claim" in MY thread.
I gots no use for that mindset when I am asking a question that I am unable to answer to my satisfaction.

Bugger off troll.

Everybody else Thanks. :)

I do not own a titan, I was looking at a review of it vs. lots of other cards. Your number of 50+ fps difference was in a whole different league than anything I saw.

Compare min. frames 1080P - Tom's, and number of others... I haven't seen a review bench BO4 (Ti vs Titan RTX) and only couple that have done BF5 - Titan is strong on min. frames in these games on 240Hz monitor at 1080P.

Huh? That's a very bizarre canned response. You made a claim that there's no minimum fan speed. On both software I cannot reduce the fan speed below the minimum threshold because there's a dotted line telling me that's the BIOS minimum. According to you, there is no minimum, so if it's so easy to lower the fan to 15% or 0% for you on a reference card you should be able to substantiate that claim. I'm gonna guess either A) you can't substantiate your claim or B) you are running on a modified BIOS.

Of course you can't... its not bios lock - the fans will not run slower than temp curve/speed chosen - and as get up into 60c to 80c range it will not let you go to zero as result (simply burn the card up), lol... Clearly you're not looking for real thing here and its more of bait and bitch sort of thing (I'm not interested). Of course the SAME applies to the 2080 Ti as it also does to the 2080.

[
Compare min. frames 1080P - Tom's, and number of others... I haven't seen a review bench BO4 (Ti vs Titan RTX) and only couple that have done BF5 - Titan is strong on min. frames in these games on 240Hz monitor at 1080P.

I looked at gamer's nexus. Just re-checked all 1080p and there's some greater variation in mins but still nothing 50 fps, or even close. At 1080p you're more CPU bound than by either the 2080 ti or titan.

Of course you can't... its not bios lock - the fans will not run slower than temp curve/speed chosen - and as get up into 60c to 80c range it will not let you go to zero as result (simply burn the card up), lol... Clearly you're not looking for real thing here and its more of bait and bitch sort of thing (I'm not interested). Of course the SAME applies to the 2080 Ti as it also does to the 2080.

Lmao. Okay I see, you misread my original post and kept rambling to maintain pretenses as I suspected.

Lmao. Okay I see, you misread my original post and kept rambling to maintain pretenses as I suspected.

If you really want to look like an idiot (here you go) - Titan RTX is NOT locked at some 60% fan speed in bios (original post I replied to said min. fan speeds are 60+ nearly 70% fan speed, that's just not true), the default is 41% in EVGA X1 (its lower yet stock) - just because there's a dotted line in X1 curve (its also NOT 60 some percent) at 20% doesn't mean can't go lower.

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    666 KB · Views: 0
[

I looked at gamer's nexus. Just re-checked all 1080p and there's some greater variation in mins but still nothing 50 fps, or even close. At 1080p you're more CPU bound than by either the 2080 ti or titan.

Stock to stock speeds (other wise look at review with both over clocked) and 1080P - often the Titan min. frames tops Ti average frames (of course can find 1 game and cherry pick it) - Ti is not going to beat a Titan that's silly (Titan has more of everything and higher boost clock) - Really its no big deal as I could care less if they was both the same price and you want to take the slower Ti - knock your socks off, really, doesn't matter to me.

Stock to stock speeds (other wise look at review with both over clocked) and 1080P - often the Titan min. frames tops Ti average frames (of course can find 1 game and cherry pick it) - Ti is not going to beat a Titan that's silly (Titan has more of everything and higher boost clock) - Really its no big deal as I could care less if they was both the same price and you want to take the slower Ti - knock your socks off, really, doesn't matter to me.

Dude wtf are you smoking? I never said the 2080 ti beat the titan in anything. You made the claim that the titan gets way better min frames and said it was 50+ in some games, which I disputed. Then you go on to talk about average frames and other stuff like everyone has their favorite or whatever. You're all over the place here.

Dude wtf are you smoking? I never said the 2080 ti beat the titan in anything. You made the claim that the titan gets way better min frames and said it was 50+ in some games, which I disputed. Then you go on to talk about average frames and other stuff like everyone has their favorite or whatever. You're all over the place here.

Titan does in fact get better min. frame rates - I actually said 5% up to high 14% among all different resolutions - in BO4 I said at 1080P on 240Hz display my min frames reach 50 higher on Titan vs Ti (BF5 is another strong game for Titan on min. Frame rates).

While I didn’t say, I will now that Titan can use a strong cpu and fast memory when goal is min frames.

Titan does in fact get better min. frame rates - I actually said 5% up to high 14% among all different resolutions - in BO4 I said at 1080P on 240Hz display my min frames reach 50 higher on Titan vs Ti (BF5 is another strong game for Titan on min. Frame rates).

While I didn’t say, I will now that Titan can use a strong cpu and fast memory when goal is min frames.

Well obviously BOTH cards need a strong cpu and fast memory for min/max fps @ 1080p. Again, back to my original post: you probably have some bad data or that one game is a rare exception, because almost every game I see has nowhere near that delta.

Well obviously BOTH cards need a strong cpu and fast memory for min/max fps @ 1080p. Again, back to my original post: you probably have some bad data or that one game is a rare exception, because almost every game I see has nowhere near that delta.

10 Games with most of them 5% up to high 14% better performance among all different resolutions - In most cases the strongest increases come at 1080P - Maybe you have bad data or rare review (if you have one, not saying you don't) - of course my comments come from direct use (as tech engineer I do hardware validation hence my access and having all brands of top GPU's though this post refers to 2080 Ti vs Titan RTX). On a side note when I referenced min. frame rates in CoD BO4, its was NOT 1% frames, but actual lowest frame and frame (highest) times at 1080P.

See much same in digital print here:
https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-rtx-review-benchmarks-and-overclocking?page=6

Few more 1080P here:

Titan RTX is a stronger faster card period... and even mainstream reviews (that like you, don't want to give the Titan some love), they show the 5% up to high 14% or better performance over Ti - Like question posed/asked in this post, if they was BOTH the SAME price, would some still pick the Ti, of course - And besides, what the heck do care if I'd pick the Titan (and fact I have one)? Why does that seem to bother you so much and why the problem admitting a top of the end series card is in fact faster than its lower end model siblings? What's next, you going to try to tell me a 8700k is faster than 9900k?

Last edited:
10 Games with most of them 5% up to high 14% better performance among all different resolutions - In most cases the strongest increases come at 1080P - Maybe you have bad data or rare review (if you have one, not saying you don't) - of course my comments come from direct use (as tech engineer I do hardware validation hence my access and having all brands of top GPU's though this post refers to 2080 Ti vs Titan RTX). On a side note when I referenced min. frame rates in CoD BO4, its was NOT 1% frames, but actual lowest frame and frame (highest) times at 1080P.

See much same in digital print here:
https://hothardware.com/reviews/nvidia-titan-rtx-review-benchmarks-and-overclocking?page=6

Few more 1080P here:

Titan RTX is a stronger faster card period... and even mainstream reviews (that like you, don't want to give the Titan some love), they show the 5% up to high 14% or better performance over Ti - Like question posed/asked in this post, if they was BOTH the SAME price, would some still pick the Ti, of course - And besides, what the heck do care if I'd pick the Titan (and fact I have one)? Why does that seem to bother you so much and why the problem admitting a top of the end series card is in fact faster than its lower end model siblings? What's next, you going to try to tell me a 8700k is faster than 9900k?

Are you actually reading my posts or just erecting strawmen that you can argue against? Please put the blunt down my friend, because AGAIN I'll reiterate that I never once tried to argue the 2080 ti is faster than the titan, I know it isn't.

Given the two options, I'd choose RTX Titan primarily for the horsepower and 24GB VRAM.

I'm disinterested in Ray Tracing in it's current form and put off from the performance penalties for, in my opinion, very little return.

What I like to do is mod games until they cry "Uncle!" (Fallout Series, Elder Scrolls Series, etc) using ENB and highly detailed texture mods so the additional VRAM plus the raw horsepower would allow me to achieve those goals.

Back