If Apple's not the best...

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
I always hear that Apple is overpriced, not the best for the money in the display field, etc... but I can't find anything that cuts it. I got rid of the Apple and replaced it with a low end, high resolution 23" model from Dell as a stop gap. Since then, I've been researching lots of monitors in the same price range as the Apple 23 (around $500 used) and I haven't found ANYTHING.

What should I be looking at?

What are you looking for? Good color reproduction? There are plenty of IPS or PVA monitors out for you that are non-Apple branded and don't carry the Apple overpriced tax.

Dell's 2407? I heard was an IPS with one of the best color reproductions for 30" i think the 3007 is better then the 3008, but could use some clarification from somebody who know's more then me!

I bought a first generation Apple Cinema Display and then replaced it last year with a Dell and had to sell it because it was so much worse. I bought a new Apple Cinema Display still sealed in its box from ebay and couldn't be happier.

Krycek1 said:
still sealed in its box from ebay and couldn't be happier

You should at least take it out and test it... nevermind color reproduction, but think of the dead pixels. You can afford to be happy when you actually start the display and find no defect.

Dell's 2407? I heard was an IPS with one of the best color reproductions for 30" i think the 3007 is better then the 3008, but could use some clarification from somebody who know's more then me!

The 2407 is an S-PVA panel.

In your price range I guess I would recommend the Dell 2408WFP or HP LP2475w.

If you could afford $800 then it would be the Planar PX2611w.

as has been said, Dell's "non cheapo" line of monitors is generally quite good
might also look at LG (I've had great experiences in the past, but this was ~18 months ago, ideally they wouldn't have gone to hell but you never know)

I bought a first generation Apple Cinema Display and then replaced it last year with a Dell and had to sell it because it was so much worse. I bought a new Apple Cinema Display still sealed in its box from ebay and couldn't be happier.
What are the two Cinema displays you bought, and what is the Dell you bought? How much does each cost?

Some more information would help to establish the context. If you compare an ACD with a Dell that is 1/4 the price, of course the ACD wins.

You should at least take it out and test it... nevermind color reproduction, but think of the dead pixels. You can afford to be happy when you actually start the display and find no defect.

I've been using it for 4 months. It's perfect.

What are the two Cinema displays you bought, and what is the Dell you bought? How much does each cost?

Some more information would help to establish the context. If you compare an ACD with a Dell that is 1/4 the price, of course the ACD wins.

I first had the 17" Apple Cinema Display (first generation). Now I have the 23" Apple Cinema Display (aluminum frame without glossy screen). I don't know the model of the Dell monitor I had but it was some 19" DVI display (fairly cheap). In fact, I'll probably be putting it up for sale for like 40 or 50 bucks soon.

Well, like others have previously stated, comparing a $500 IPS monitor versus a $100 TN monitor is hardly fair.

Well, like others have previously stated, comparing a $500 IPS monitor versus a $100 TN monitor is hardly fair.

True, but there aren't a whole lot of of IPS monitors to choose from that don't have something wrong with them like a wide color gamut, etc.

Every monitor has it's quirks though. If you get a TN viewing angles suck, well some are tolerable but many leave much to be desired. VA has higher input lag compared to the others. Yes the screens are getting better, but there is definitely still issues with most of them. Even the higher end ones won't be the best at everything.

So it all comes down to what the user needs the monitor for, and what problems he/she can tolerate.

Apple's not the best, but because they usually use IPS panels they are comparable to other IPS panels from HP, Dell, etc, and all LCD's have quirks.

Back