iexplore.exe starts with winxp and causes window focus problems

Daynja

Weaksauce
This is a very odd problem that I started having about 3 months ago. I didn't figure out any solution to it until about a month ago. What is happening is "iexplore.exe" is starting with windows (I believe this is not normal) and causing issues with program windows gaining focus. The quick fix is to end task on this instance of iexplore.exe, which is only using about 3 MB of ram, much less than IE would normally use. Everything works fine until the next restart.

problems in detail:
I first noticed this when I could no longer alt+tab out of full screen games. ctrl+alt+del will bring up the task manager and take focus, but alt+tab does nothing.

I also noticed that when I clicked the start menu, and then clicked back to a window behind it, the start menu would close, but the window I clicked would not gain focus.

fixes I have tried:
NAV full system scan
msconfig - diagnostic startup, still starts iexplore.exe and problem still exists.
safe mode - problem does not exist in safe mode

other info:
windows xp pro sp2

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, and thank you in advance for any help with this issue.

Are you using Messenger Plus? It loads a couple of instances of iexplore.exe on windows boot and causes all kinds of weirdness...

If possible download a copy of Hijackthis and post a log of whats being loaded at your computer :)

oldmx

as well as Hijackthis, try Adaware and Spybot, update, then scan one at the time.

I have found some spyware that names itself iexplore.exe or even replaced the "L" in explore with a capital i.

Back