IE9 Launch

I poked around with the beta a bit and thought the layout was pretty clean. Just got done installing the release, I'll play around with it some more.

*edit, It is still frustrating to see there is no built in spell checker in IE9.

I wouldn't stop at IE9. The whole Windows OS should have a spell checker!

Anyway, I've been using the RC off and on for a while now, but completely forgot to download the final version tonight. I'll have to do it tomorrow, since I'm currently on my MBP.

Spell checker for IE9, made by a neowin member I believe: http://www.speckie.com/home/
There's also IESpell (which had issues in the RC, dunno about RTM, worked fine in beta ironically)
and IE7Pro (installs a bunch of junk you need to disable if you just want the spell checker though).

I had several severe bugs in the RC that I didn't see in the Beta (intermittant page rendering issues, not sure if it was an add-on since it was hard to duplicate reliably to test with no add-ons mode), I hope RTM fixes the issue. If it does I'll be quite happy, and so far I haven't seen it since I installed RTM about 10 minutes ago...

Anyways, gonna go kick the tires some more, see yas.

[edit] I think I fixed my page rendering bug, I found a site that it always happened on (beautyoftheweb.com) and managed to narrow down which add-on caused the problem, it was LastPass. I uninstalled lastpass, downloaded/installed the latest version, and now that web site renders correctly every time so I hope that's that. Friggin awesome, that was the only thing bugging me about IE9, glad it was just an easily fixed bad add-on.

Last edited:

Yeah there are a few viable add-ons, but it seems like in this age it should be already packaged together.

Also, my FRAPS is bugging out on a few of the pages (Notably, gmail and search sites, including Bing and Google).

i just installed it. This is pretty interesting. The fact that it has more viewable screen space than chrome makes me almost want to make it my default browser.... almost. I might give it a spin for a few weeks.

The viewable space is nice but it's sort of artificial for me because it's just putting the tabs next to the address bar. I have a thing about seeing a lot of the address, and with more than 2-3 tabs it gets a little crowded.

Digging it overall. I'll likely stick to Chrome but I will install this on all my machines anyway.

right click near the tabs, you can have them show on a seperate row, but I do see your point on how the "extra" space is kinda artificial. Maybe we'll see how well Chrome's reputed "URL box in tab" goes :p

I like what they've done with the UI but at this point I can't live without my extensions. Being IE/MS and they'll never really open it too much.....guess I gotta stick with the alternatives for now (still).

I think if MS put the tabs at the top of the screen like chrome did they'd get a lot of shit for copying google so they did the next best thing.

It's a lot like chrome, I started using it as my primary browser for webapp compatibility at the office.

It's not half bad. Dare I say it's faster and smoother than Chrome on my old single core Turion laptop? Installed SimpleAdblock and will be giving it a run for a while.

It's way faster than the firefox beta, dare I say faster than chrome, and I like how you can choose between chrome style bookmarks and firefox style bookmarks, if only chrome would do that I would use it. I may just switch to IE 9 from firefox.

I went from IE6 many years back to FF, then last year went to Chrome and how I'm back to IE9. I could not stand using IE7 or IE8, they were just too sluggish and lacked features I liked on chrome.

IE9 feels more like a Chrome/FF browser now. Doesn't feel like it's so different anymore, wish they had done this much sooner.

I agree.

Mega-corporations rarely/never innovate but imitate. Buying startups doesn't count.

Thanks. SimpleAdblock helps. Figured out how to disable it as I had the task bar hidden.

Is there a free Adblocker like adblock+ for it? SimpleAdblock is not free

Installed IE9 today. Scrolling through the forums feels smoother but it's probably a placebo effect. Gonna take it for a spin in the next few days. Too bad there's no AdBlock+ for IE9.

I like it and definitely think that Microsoft is starting to get its stuff together with Windows 7, IE9, and MSSE. IE9 is a vast improvement as far as feature support for new web technologies (from a web developer perspective), although the lack of XP supports means I'm still going to have to assume that 75% of the user-base is still on IE8.

And I've got too many productivity/work related FF addons to ever consider another browser full time.

Anyone else run an HTML5 browser test? I remember reading that MSFT is supposed to be supporting it in IE9 but the scores I got in the tests were lower than Firefox, Opera, and Chrome.

Is this kind of test just not accurate?
http://html5test.com/

Anyone else run an HTML5 browser test? I remember reading that MSFT is supposed to be supporting it in IE9 but the scores I got in the tests were lower than Firefox, Opera, and Chrome.

Is this kind of test just not accurate?
http://html5test.com/

Like many things, it depends on whom you ask. html5test only reports what the browser says it supports, it does not actually test that the 'standard' is implemented in an accurate or complete way, it also tests for things that are not approved by w3c, as well as assigning arbitrary points for the different items in an ahem interesting manner.

Last edited:
Back