IE7?

Lethal

ViragoAdmin Emeritus
So I was just reading about the automatic updates over at PC World.

Businesses need the time to set companywide policies for browser deployment and possibly recode any intranet sites that are not compatible with the new version of the browser. Similarly, public Web sites need the extra time to ensure that their sites are compatible, Gralla says.
Does anyone know what these potential incompatibilities with existing sites might be?

I can understand if IE7 has some new bells & whistles that don't work in older browsers, that's just the nature of the beast. But why in the world would they not make it backwards compatible? A site that works in IE6 should not "break" in IE7. :confused:

Lethal said:
I can understand if IE7 has some new bells & whistles that don't work in older browsers, that's just the nature of the beast. But why in the world would they not make it backwards compatible? A site that works in IE6 should not "break" in IE7. :confused:

It's a brand new version of the rendering engine. Most of the inconsistencies have to do with CSS handling, but there are also differences in the way Quirks mode in general behaves. Most of the things that will "break" though are hacks to make things look right in IE 6, many of which are no longer needed in IE 7. If IE 7 rendered pages the same way as IE 6, it wouldn't be much of an improvement, would it?

PCWorld said:
Businesses need the time to set companywide policies for browser deployment and possibly recode any intranet sites that are not compatible with the new version of the browser. Similarly, public Web sites need the extra time to ensure that their sites are compatible, Gralla says.

uh....that is what the beta that has been out since may has been for. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's time to investigate changing that policy. It's what most of our successful customers do.

Icemastr said:
I don't recode company sites based on betas.

Not saying you personally should. But as someone who has worked with the beta I do not fear ie7's release as many like yourself, who maybe have not or not prepared for it, do. Moving forward sites should be ie7 compatible and attend to current customers that bring the issue up or bring it to them (this depends on the amount of work you do). My personal business, I will be working with my clients to ensure ie7 compliance....it is actually working into upgrades I will be doing for most of my clients. My full time job, we are too large of a firm to QA every site....so we are to code for ie7 compliance on new sites and we will fix any past sites if the customer brings it up. Depending on your pricing scheme will depend how you charge them for such maintenance work. My full time job, clients are in a contract that includes hosting and maintenance. So any ie7 fixes are just maintenance which we already have built into our pricing scheme.

Back