ie7 broke but can still get e-mail & vista updates.

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
I have a problem here. A friend has an HP laptop & for some unknown reason everytime we open up IE7 we get the "IE can't display the webpage". Now she can still get her E-Mail & log onto Live messenger but no IE7. I even installed Firefox & still no internet. I googled & tried a bunch of different things like clearing the DNS cach & even reset the IP stack. I reset IE7 tried the safe mode idea but no luck. I can do the IPCONFIG & ping google & get a response back. It will even download vista updates.
She has a ton of stuff on here so don't really want to reformat. I have also tried disabeling Avast but no luck either. I scanned it & it didn't find any virus. I've uninstalled her network cards & reinstalled them. Running Vista Home Prem 32 bit.
Any body have any other suggestions that I can try?

Look at the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\etc ... open with notepad, there should be no entries except for the 2 demonstration ones and loopback.

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost
::1             localhost

Look at the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\etc ... open with notepad, there should be no entries except for the 2 demonstration ones and loopback.

I checked & it look just like the pic you posted. It's got me stumped.

Grab wireshark and see what destination its trying to reach when you go to any webpage. Also, check the proxy settings for any misconfigured options.

OK the only other times I experienced something like this Budman was when the guy had some type of 'ghost surfer' program or whatever they are called, and someone else with some malware.

Try, start/search, type in msconfig and go to start up tab and uncheck everything, go to services tab, check "hide all Microsoft services" uncheck whats left remaining. Reboot.

Also, if she has a program, like a file sharing application, or iTunes, that have a browser in it, it should work. I think some program or application is blocking your internet browsers. I had this happen on a machine once that a friend had and you could browse the web with the Morpheus browser but not IE.

Last edited:
Back