IE pages slow to load

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
1,666
I've got a bit of a strange issue. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on it for me. As I’ve typed and typed this here, it got a bit long, but hopefully it all makes sense.

I've got 4 computers in my house, all listed in my signature. There is a WHS 2011 machine down in my basement, a desktop PC, a HTPC and a laptop. We also have a WD TV box and our 2 smart phones on the network. Recently we've had some problems / slowness loading IE pages, at first it seemed to be only Google which is our home page. The page would take minutes to load, and we got an error "waiting for Google”' in the tab. We first noticed this with Google on our laptop because the laptop gets the most use during the week. But it seems to also happen on other pages.

Because we first experienced this on the laptop, I thought it was a wireless issue . So I unplugged the router & modem and restarted them, which seemed to fix things, but only for a short while and then the same problem started again. The past few days I've been using my desktop PC because of the issue on the laptop, and now the same issue is happening up here. So I'm thinking that it isn't WiFi related and it's more of an issue with my internet/network.

I tried doing a "ipconfig /flushdns" running as an administrator and also resetting the IE settings (tools, internet options, advanced, reset IE settings) thinking it was an IE issue. Again, each of those might have helped for a while, but eventually the same issues came back. Sometimes the page will load and other times it'll get to an "unable to display page" page. I've tried clicking on the "fix connection problems" button when that page comes up, but I get a message that the problem couldn't be fixed or that the problem is with the page that we're trying to reach, which is usually Google or eBay, so I don't think that either of those sites would have problems for days and days?? I've attached screen shots of the error pages below. I also ran CCleaner and a Malwarebytes scan. The Malwarebytes scan found and removed a handful of files on both my desktop and laptop. And again, maybe a bit better, but the slowness is still there.



IE2.jpg




IE.jpg




RAHTtn5d3S4cq7WBgxsbLdHnRDBOW3Fs7Bqag-G4pPE=w881-h661-no




Not sure if this is related at all, but figured I'd mention it. A few months ago I got rid of my leased TWC modem and picked up a Motorola SB6141 modem. I've attached a screen shot of the modem settings page below. It's been a while since I looked at the modem settings page so I'm not 100% sure what the levels should be at. And with this new modem and the DOCSIS it seems a bit more complicated. Hopefully someone here can look over the numbers to verify they're at good levels. And I also have a PCT 1-Port Variable Gain Signal Amplifier With Active Return connected. I'm using this because my living room TV was always pixilating and I was dropping my internet connection. I had it adjusted so the levels were right on with the TWC modem and I've checked once since installing the new Motorola modem and the levels seemed to be good on it as well.



IE4.jpg




IE5.jpg




IE6.jpg




Another thing that I thought of in the past couple of days, I have the Motorola modem connected to my router (I think it’s an older Cisco-Linksys WRTXXX?? router) and then the additional ports on the router feed my desktop PC, WHS machine and a line runs into our bedroom for the WD TV box. So if the router is going bad maybe it’s causing issues with everything that’s connected to it (which would be most of the other PC’s in the house and also anything connected to it wirelessly)??

So after posting all of this hopefully someone can clear things up a bit for me. Or give me some other things to look at to narrow things down a bit. Let me know if you need screen shots of anything else, etc. Thanks in advance.
 

gimp

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
10,482
it could be, at least partially, DNS-related issues. When seeing "Waiting on www.url.com" could certainly mean that it's still trying to resolve the hostname to an IP.

So... first thing you could try is changing the DNS servers on one of your machines and see if that makes a different.
You can use Google's.
8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
 

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
1,666
Ok, so I changed the DNS severs on my laptop (since that's where the original problem was and the laptop gets the most use during the week) to both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I'll try it for a bit and report back with the results.

I saw some instructions online to change the DNS for the router (as opposed to on the individual machines), would that have any benefit??
 

gimp

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
10,482
Ok, so I changed the DNS severs on my laptop (since that's where the original problem was and the laptop gets the most use during the week) to both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

I'll try it for a bit and report back with the results.

I saw some instructions online to change the DNS for the router (as opposed to on the individual machines), would that have any benefit??

if the issue is resolved by using Google DNS, then it would beneficial to change it on your router for the simple fact that you wouldn't have to update every device manually.
 

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 21, 2012
Messages
1,666
Things seemed to be working good for a while, but eveuntally the internet "slowness" returned.

I ended up getting a TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 to replace my old WRT54G Wireless-G Router. It was time for an upgrade anyways and this new router is Wireless N, dual band and has a few extra features that I'll be able to use. I'll try this new router out for a while and will report back if there are continued issues. But from the first few days of using it, everything seems to be good!!!
 
Top