IE doesn't let me open any sort of new window from inbrowser

goku238

2[H]4U
Long title, but oh well. I am having a strange problem where in IE there is no possible way for me to open a new window. Right click open in new window, not gonna happen. Click a link from the forum that goes to a new window, not gonna happen. The only way for me to follow links like that is to right click copy shortcut and then paste it into a completely new browser. It's driving me insane. It even drove me back to Firefox :( Anyway, help is appreciated

Originally posted by goku238
Except Firefox has annoying quirks that IE doesn't have :)
Mine doesn't. It opens up new windows, too. ;)

Originally posted by goku238
Except Firefox has annoying quirks that IE doesn't have :)

*cough* such as the inability to install trojans all over your PC? d-: LOL. Seriously though, other than a few security holes, the main difference between IE and all the rest is that it lets people design pages that use microsoft's proprietary crap, and I say that you should just complain to the page designer that they should be following the real standard since IE works with real HTML too before you willingly use IE.

Anyway, Google Toolbar is supposed to be a popup blocker as well from what I understood about it (never needed it since I use Opera and it always had a search box as well as internal abilities to stop popups) so I will bet it is what is responsible for your problems. Most likely it just needs a little tweaking in the settings. I used to have a popup blocker back when I used IE that was so strict I couldn't use ANYTHING that opened a new window of IE unless I held the shift key down. This is what especially made me think of that. Perhaps it even uses the same system where you can hold down shift or control or some other key to allow popups. Either way, see if you can't find some settings for it. Oh, and I imagine that if you can't just disable it, you might look to see if it can be uninstalled through the add/remove control panel, though from what I hear the google toolbar is actually decent enough to be worth keeping by those people who still use IE.

BTW, just for reference, the last time I used IE was about 2 years ago. I've been using Opera primarily and on the rare occasions it fails -- which can usually be fixed by changing whether it tells websites it is Opera or IE or Mozilla/Netscape -- I just open Mozilla and that site that gave me trouble works fine, so between just those two I'm pretty much set. Really I just happen to dislike IE, so it's not really just that I'm paranoid about the 50 million security holes and Netscape is just a bloated mess that is basically Mozilla with an ugly default skin and some extra bugs thrown in to make it their own, so I never bother with it. Oh, and since version 7.00, Opera has had a new option that says "Open requested popups only" which has the nice advantage of working on those sites that insist on requiring popups but still blocking all those ads (I think it's as simple as only allowing things to open a new window for something you've clicked, but whatever it is, I've only seen ONE popup ad get by it in the entire time I've been using it and I have yet to run into any sites that don't work correctly with this on.)

Well, first of all, you said "tried disabling" which I thought meant that you didn't know how to do it or it didn't correctly do it. Secondly, with something like that, even disabled they might still have some minor effects if still installed. That's part of the problem with all these integration things. You can't always tell what's going on behind the scenes.

Back