IE and Firefox dont display everything ????

haggggler

Gawd
I have a friend who has degenerative eye sight. His old PC died and I gave him a new one with as many visual accessibility options turned on as I could. He felt the appearance was not the same (he's old) as his previous PC so he thought he would start pressing buttons, play in the control panel and select many options on web pages for the classic view ( Yahoo is supposed to have started him on this journey). You can see where I'm going. Now some web sites are not displaying all content. An example is here, http://www.palottery.state.pa.us.

IE and Firefox display most everything except:
Top left - there is a box and Tom Corbett's name but no Facebook, Twitter, etc icons
Top center - The is no city graphic with the PA Lottery logo
Middle center - the is no scrolling banner ad, just a white box.

Newegg's site looks similar, like it's been simplified? Unlike the PA Lottery site the scrolling banner ad at the top is display. Similar to the PA site (no green menu background) the Neweggs left side menus are outlined plain text with no yellow background. Though mouse-overs work fine on both sites.

I've tried uninstalling Java, Flash, IE8 and Firefox to no avail.. When I uninstalled Firefox I had it remove all settings and when I reinstalled it I imported no settings, so I was leaning toward some windows setting. I checked everywhere I could think of to make sure everything was turned on and available, it all appears to be enabled but still no change.

Last resort, I installed Chrome and everything is displayed correctly.

I was up most of the night fixing my pellet stove, so I could just be tired. Please guys, tell me what am I missing.

Screenshots?
What version of Windows?
What zoom level in each browser?
Install Firebug and check the Net tab to make sure everything is correct?

I have a friend who has degenerative eye sight. His old PC died and I gave him a new one with as many visual accessibility options turned on as I could. He felt the appearance was not the same (he's old) as his previous PC so he thought he would start pressing buttons, play in the control panel and select many options on web pages for the classic view ( Yahoo is supposed to have started him on this journey). You can see where I'm going. Now some web sites are not displaying all content. An example is here, http://www.palottery.state.pa.us.

IE and Firefox display most everything except:
Top left - there is a box and Tom Corbett's name but no Facebook, Twitter, etc icons
Top center - The is no city graphic with the PA Lottery logo
Middle center - the is no scrolling banner ad, just a white box.

Newegg's site looks similar, like it's been simplified? Unlike the PA Lottery site the scrolling banner ad at the top is display. Similar to the PA site (no green menu background) the Neweggs left side menus are outlined plain text with no yellow background. Though mouse-overs work fine on both sites.

I've tried uninstalling Java, Flash, IE8 and Firefox to no avail.. When I uninstalled Firefox I had it remove all settings and when I reinstalled it I imported no settings, so I was leaning toward some windows setting. I checked everywhere I could think of to make sure everything was turned on and available, it all appears to be enabled but still no change.

Last resort, I installed Chrome and everything is displayed correctly.

I was up most of the night fixing my pellet stove, so I could just be tired. Please guys, tell me what am I missing.

No facebook, Twitter and banner ads? Dude you accidentally stumbled through the internet heaven secret door.

This one has my head hurting. Thanks guys

Firefox

firefoxjy.jpg

firefox2m.jpg

ffnewegg.jpg

IE

70400835.jpg

Chrome

chromecx.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you might be missing flash?

That's not it.

In Internet Options, click the Colors button and select Use Windows colors then hit OK. Next, click the Accessibility button and uncheck anything that is checked and hit OK.

In Firefox, go to Options. On the Content tab click Colors. Check 'Allow pages to choose [...].'

Next, tell your friend not to change things randomly.

If possible, have them switch to Windows 7 to take advantage of the far better high DPI support.

Last edited:
@Snowknight26

I just checked those settings and they are already set that way. Yes, I pray to God he switches as it would make my life easier too. Unfortuatly he's 72 and want his IE8, WinXP and Yahoo the way it was before Bill Gates screwed it all up....lol. Thank you very much for your help, he's already asking if I could just format it again and give it back fresh... wow, give a man a computer and he wants it to come with a built in IT department.

@Tsumi

Flash has been installed, uninstalled and reinstalled....lol. Currently at 11.5.x.x.x and Hulu works fine. Well the videos play, the formatting is screwy like the other sites.

Here is what Google looks like. Kind of reminds me of when a page doesn't completely load and the forms/tables are screwed up and all that is displayed is text.

googleeh.jpg

Last edited:
@Snowknight26

I just checked those settings and they are already set that way. Yes, I pray to God he switches as it would make my life easier too. Unfortunately he's 72 and wants his IE8, WinXP and Yahoo the way it was before Bill Gates screwed it all up....lol. Thank you very much for your help, he's already asking if I could just format it again and give it back fresh... wow, give a man a computer and he wants it to come with a built in IT department.

Delete his Firefox profile (back up bookmarks and other essentials) and see if that fixes it.

@Snowknight26

I just checked those settings and they are already set that way.

Funny you should say that because if I do the opposite of the instructions I provided on an XP machine I have then Firefox and IE look identical (and I mean identical) to what you have shown. As soon as I do what I suggested it reverts back to normal.

Go to the Control Panel and uncheck Use High Contrast under Accessibility Options. Alternately, if that doesn't work, reset his Firefox/Internet Explorer settings.

@CEpeep

I ran the profile manager, delete all profiles (I had created a few test ones) restarted Firefox and when asked, I imported nothing. No change. Next I went back and did the same thing although this time I imported from Chrome, again no change. Glad I'm bald or I'd be tearing it out.

Again, I can't say thank you to you guys enough.

@Snowknight26

Thank you so much. The settings are just as you said they should be, but you got me thinking about going to see what Windows was using for default color settings. Checked accessibility in the control panel and sure enough under color he had selected "High Contrast standard (Large Fonts)". Turned it off and it's all good again. Weird that Chrome ignored that Windows setting.

If you want to turn it on and off the keyboard shortcut is:
left ALT + left SHIFT + PRINT SCREEN

Thank you again, I was ready to give up and tell him to use Chrome.

this is what chrome does for me. Maybe that's easier than just building in support for it. I dunno

highcontrast.png

Back