IE 6.0 not supporting Java?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by barefootbilly, Sep 22, 2004.

1. barefootbilly

barefootbilly Limp Gawd

I bored tonight, I go into Yahoo Games to play some pool. It doesn't load the aplet or whatever. So, I look on Yahoo thinking I need to download something (2 week old rig with no updates or drivers installed for anything) and it says I'm fine because I'm using IE 6.0. I think you need to have 4.0 or higher.

So then it tells me to check my internet security settings. They're set to Medium. And that's what it says to put it at.

I'm lost.

2. lomn75

lomn75 Purple Ace

Do you have a Java virtual machine installed? MS doesn't package it any more, per Sun's lawsuit. Hit up java.sun.com and get one.

3. Ice Czar

Ice Czar Inscrutable

without any service packs or hotfixes
    your computer would be compromised in roughly 10 > 20 minutes
    by direct exploit (likely msblaster or sasser or both)

thats a big problem for Microsoft right now, in that the window is shorter than the time to download the patches
    (since those are time to infection averages some shorter, some longer,
    and download traffic and connection speeds vary)

4. vinnie

vinnie [H]ard|Gawd

10-20 minutes is probably a little optimisitic. At peak infection of Blaster, the entire IPv4 address space of the internet was being scanned repeatedly in less time than that and there's still a fair few infections out there.

My suggestion- start again. Before plugging in any net connection, make sure there's a virus scanner and a totally locked down firewall in place and only open what is absolultely neccesary to update.

The best bet is to try and have the service packs from a clean source ready to install before touching the net.

5. Sid

Sid Limp Gawd

OK, first thing you need to do is get to a cmd prompt and type "jview" without the quotes of course. If it comes back as not a good file or command then you have no MS java on the box. Second, Sun's java is a POS!!!! It does not behave well with Yahoo's games at all. I have MS java on cd if you need a real copy :cool: Just shoot me a PM and I will set it for you when I get off. You can hunt it down on MS's site, it is still there but a real bitch to find.

6. Azphira

Azphira [H]ard|Gawd

Spend money in court to sue microsoft into not packaging it, then spend more money to pay for the bandwidth for millions to download it instead?