IDversusEGO's done for now home theatre

IDversusEGO

Supreme [H]ardness
My theatre looks small-time compared to some of you guys, but I am porud of it. I built several of the items my self, with more to come.

I still have more plans for the future, but I by next weekend I should be to a "stop and smell the roses" point. I'll enjoy it for a while, then go and change some more. I guess I'll start with the center of it all, my HTPC. It is already done so I only have complete photo's, no step by step.
Here's the inside...
inside.jpg

Here's the outside...
HTPCcase.jpg

here it is in the a/v stand...
av rack.jpg

This room serves a dual purpose right now, so the seating is not ideal anywhere but the couch. That will change in rev. 2 when I build the platform behind the couch for stadium style seating. The couches recline as does the chair to the right. Here is a shot of the viewing area...
viewing area.jpg

pic of the rear speakers mounted and the x1 mounted. I couldn't find a mount that was short enough for my odd ceiling, so I made one. Please ignore the junk behind the couch. It will be all moved out once my inlaws come pick up there junk :( ...

rear mounted.jpg

I had to have somewhere to pt my center channel, so I built this shelf unit. It is all black to blend with the front area, but if you look you can see the center channel in the middle...
shelf.jpg

The audio is handled by an Onkyo 6.1 Theatre in a Box. Decent setup for the money. I will be upgrading the center channel in my next stage of tinkering.

The wife hates havin remotes laying all over the place, so I had to put a couple of remote control managment ideas in place. First I bought a hollow book to leave on the coffe table. It holds all of my seldom used remotes. Second receiver, second TV, projector, old hauppauge remote that I don't want to loose, that kind of thing.

closed...
book_cl.jpg

open...
book_op.jpg

The coffee table is too far away from my favorite spot, so I had to build a little runner table to go between the sofa and the wall. It is perfect to hide my most important remotes and my wireless xbox controller. I also hae a place to put my drink now. It also hides my extra cabling...
runner.jpg

All of the black furniture is flat black to reduce reflection from the projector. My lighting is in 3 sections, all on dimmers. I have a fixture at both ends and some indirect ligthing through out the basement. I don't have a clear picture of them, but I also have flush mounted speakers in the ceiling that are attached to a seperate reciever and PC for MP3 and radio playback. Lets me play music while I game. I'll add some good pics of the ceiling speakers and the second a/v rack with the receiver and PC later.

by next weekend I will have finished my cable tracting, installed a new video card, hoepfully decided on a DVD codec for my HTPC.

stage 2 will involve an upgrade of my center channel and maybe my left/rights, a platform for the loveseat in stadium style behind my couch, a second tuner for my HTPC, and my extra 27" TV mounted somewhere for those busy sports nights and parties.

Looks nice. :)
The wife hates havin remotes laying all over the place, so I had to put a couple of remote control managment ideas in place. First I bought a hollow book to leave on the coffe table. It holds all of my seldom used remotes.
I love that idea! I think I might something like that laying around so I'm going to have to mod it. :D

Are those the standard Onky speakers? If so how are they? I've been needing to uprade my reciever to something modern and I'm looking at Onky but I think I might build my own speakers.

the speakers are decent. especially for the money. I looked into building my own, but I have a hard time dropping the coin on them without hearing them. I have a design for an all aluminum set that should run me around $300-$400.

Very nice, i like all the recessed ceilings and walls. Btw, might i ask what projector are you using and can we have some pics of it in action? :D

the projector is an Infocus x1. I don't have any screenshots, because I don't think they give an accurate representation of what the picture looks like. camera quality can alter the image as well as your individual monitor settings. I will try to get a couple for you though. My camera sucks in low light though.

IDversusEGO said:
the projector is an Infocus x1. I don't have any screenshots, because I don't think they give an accurate representation of what the picture looks like. camera quality can alter the image as well as your individual monitor settings. I will try to get a couple for you though. My camera sucks in low light though.
i hear ya and agree. I take such pics with a grain of salt since between camera flash and jpeg compression, picture IQ is inevitably lost.

How much better would you rate your PQ over a standard rear-projection TV? About the same, better, much better? Can't wait till i get mine...

Edit: Oops, bandwidth exceeded, need a host?

If you have a temp host, that would be cool. I have a server of my own going up soon, just threw these pics up there.

If ant of you need a permanent image host just PM me, i've got tons of extra bandwidth and my site isn't going anywhere :p I keep a private uploader installed for things just like this.

IDversusEGO said:
If you have a temp host, that would be cool. I have a server of my own going up soon, just threw these pics up there.
PM me if you haven't taken up k1114's offer yet ;)

pics fixed finally. Big thanks to k114 and SJetski71 for the image hostign offers.

Back