iDVD Region Codes

ceejamon

[H]ard|Gawd
I've only had my mac for about a week, so I'm fairly new to OSX. My girlfriend is a French teacher and is into French movies. You can only change the drive region 5 times on my powerbook, so I can't use it to watch both her movies and mine.

Does anybody here know of:
- a 3rd party dvd player program that will allow me to use 2 region codes
- one that will just use a different code than iDVD
- or a workaround for the code changing thing in iDVD?

I am assuming you mean the Apple DVD player since you don't play movies through iDVD...I would check www.versiontracker.com for any other players but if I remember right if you reset the PMU that resets the DVD region

Originally posted by gigglebyte
I am assuming you mean the Apple DVD player since you don't play movies through iDVD...I would check www.versiontracker.com for any other players but if I remember right if you reset the PMU that resets the DVD region

Well color me a retard, you're right. Everything on a mac is isomething, and I didn't even pay attention.

What's a PMU? I know plenty about PC's, but I've only used a Mac for about a week.

Try versiontracker first, to always have to reset the PMU for that is a pain, or at least it would be to me, so I'd try software first.

well you won't have to do it EVERY time...just after switching DVD regions 5 times ;) but the PMU is the Power Management Unit or can also be called a Cuda depending on the computer you are using...also just to be clear..the region code only comes into effect if the movie it's self is coded for a different world region...if it was purchased in the US then chances are it is a region 1

I hate the idea of region codes. Anyway, the route I plan to take when I have money and am in need of a DVD player is to just buy myself a region free DVD player. I've seen the online for about $100, but I don't remember where. You have to import them from Japan though...

Back