IDS/IPS

secure.boy

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for IDS/IPS + firewall
i want to build one appliance all in one linux/unix based
i have supermicro 1U server with c2d 1gb ram
pfsense or??

Snort is just one piece in this puzzle, and it may help with the detection but will require some additional work to handle prevention. Also snort runs on a multitude of operating systems, and that's going to be your big decision. You could go with something designed for this, or start from the ground up with a base OS, that is really up to you. My first recommendation is try to go with something you are comfortable with, if you don't know what's going on or how to get around in the system you can shoot your self in the foot more then help yourself.

Snort is just one piece in this puzzle, and it may help with the detection but will require some additional work to handle prevention. Also snort runs on a multitude of operating systems, and that's going to be your big decision. You could go with something designed for this, or start from the ground up with a base OS, that is really up to you. My first recommendation is try to go with something you are comfortable with, if you don't know what's going on or how to get around in the system you can shoot your self in the foot more then help yourself.
what do you prefer?
i saw pfsense and snort
is that reliable?

Back