iDrive backup problems

Spartacus

2[H]4U
Picked up a new customer and I'm trying to get iDrive.com backup running in their SBS 2011 environment.

It's got two problems:

First is Exchange Brick Level backup. It backs up 3 mailboxes and then hangs. It will stay running for hours doing
nothing until I cancel the job. The only security requirements I see is that the mailboxes must have full access for
Domain Admins. Got that but it just hangs. No logs or errors to go on that I can find for that backup job.

Second issue is the general file backup quits doing backups of users redirected profile data.
iDrive is supposed to be able to backup open/locked files. It should at least just log the error of not being able
to backup the file and continue, but it takes a dump and quits. (log entries below)

It's setup for local backup only right now to a WD 4TB USB drive off of the server.

I'm using iDrive for several other customers, and aside from have to adjust file security sometimes, it works well
and it's pretty reliable.

Thinking maybe it's long file names causing this, but have never seen this problem before.

I have a ticket open with iDrive but no response yet.

Any ideas?

[ERROR] [09/10/2017 21:28:39] [[Failed to read the file; It is either open or locked]]
[ERROR] [09/10/2017 21:28:39] [[Failed to read the file; It is either open or locked]]
[ERROR] [09/10/2017 21:28:39] [[client=2.0.0.1][Unable to proceed. Reason : Command compatibility issue with syntax error.]]

ETA: I'm doing a test backup now excluding "Application Data" from the profiles to see if that will run.
It looks like most of the time it's crashing backing up that stuff. We'll see how that goes.
Still concerned with the Exchange backup.

Last edited:
Got a successful general file backup by excluding "Application Data" from the desktop profiles.

I had iDrive support (fast talking Indian dude) remote into the server to look at the Exchange backup.
His Exchange test backup job has been running for hours stuck on one mailbox with no progress at all.

So it will be level 2 support tomorrow on that.

Got a successful general file backup by excluding "Application Data" from the desktop profiles.

I had iDrive support (fast talking Indian dude) remote into the server to look at the Exchange backup.
His Exchange test backup job has been running for hours stuck on one mailbox with no progress at all.

So it will be level 2 support tomorrow on that.

Hi, did you ever fix this problem or get an update from IDrive? I'm stuck with the same issue on the latest client version.

I wish you luck Waster. Sorry I don't have a solution.

I've had a ton of issues with iDrive and a few that they've spun wheels on for days with no results. I can't recommend them to anyone.

Hi, did you ever fix this problem or get an update from IDrive? I'm stuck with the same issue on the latest client version.

The Exchange Brick Level backup problem?

No, they kept blowing me off on scheduled appointments with their dev support people.
It's doing a full Exchange backup ok, but not brick level.

I've been busy with other things but will have to re-visit this issue.

The other problem they did finally fix with a custom version of the client.
Still afraid to update the client as I may lose that fix.

Their client has problems with permissions on files (with permissions set properly on the server).

Keep after them.... open a ticket and keep working with them as much as you can.
I'll have to do the same with the brick level issue.

Good luck!

Back