Idiot check on Mushkin SSD

Showbiz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
So I think my 1.2 year old Mushkin reactor 1tb is in the process of dying. Dying as in can longer write to the drive, though reading seems fine for now. I'd been having some issues with Steam bootstrapper freezing upon exit, and I initially wrote it off as a borked update that would work itself out on the next update. However that thought process changed when I recently tried installing new game, and that caused Steam/system hang after about 100MB of data is written to the SSD. Tested a non steam file transfer with a large movie file (8.74 GB), file transfer froze after about 200 MB of data. I tried installing the same game from Steam to my OS/Non Steam game SSD, and it installed just fine.

A dump of the SMART data shows that only 2.549 TB of data has been written to the drive, so there's no way it's out of writes.

I'm opening up an RMA ticket with Mushkin as it supposedly has a 3 year warrently. But in the meantime, is there anything else that could be causing this? I doubt other hardware could be the issue as if that were the case I wouldn't be able to read from it either? I thought about a firmware update, but Mushkin actually states on their support page that they don't recommend it.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thank You.

Edit: Backed up all of my Steam Data, then un-installed which went fine. Then tried to format the drive, and no go, the drive will not complete a format. I'm not sure what else can be done.

Last edited:
Update!
The drive has started working again. When I opened up my case this morning to remove the drive for RMA, i noticed the power connector looked a little off on one side. So I figured why not give it another shot. Reconnected the power connector firmly again, booted back up, and now the drive is accepting writes! Woo hoo I think?

So [H], here's my question, should I still RMA the drive? I would have thought that a loose power connector would have prevented both proper reading and writing, it seems odd that i would only get errors from writing the drive?

Thank you!

I'd still do the RMA. The drive may work for a bit and then have similar problems and you'll have to go thru the RMA process again at that point. You've already got it ready to be RMA'd. Do it and you wont have to worry if the issues will return.

Back