Identity, modern-day mmorpg where you can do "anything."

I really want to use the big V word here.

It looks like they took a bunch of pre-packaged tech demos or assets and put them into a video and asked for 150k.

I call BS. No one in their right mind can expect to do that much. I agree with bigdogchris, looks like a pile of tech demos all rolled up.

lost me 100% at the watching real movies part.

I was actually just thinking about this concept a couple days ago. Its something every gamer thinks about at least once, in my opinion. Its a big "what if?" type thing. Its a very ambitious idea.... a game where you could do "anything"! I just don't think its possible yet, at least in the type of way that I think of when I think about this concept. I can see them taking a few different styles of gaming and blending it together into a heavily scripted game similar to a more realistic and nicer looking GTAV. Something where you could race, shoot, steal, hunt, skydive, see a comedy show, surf the web, whatever.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with but I have a feeling its just going to end up feeling like a few different games sloppily tied together. Certainly interesting though, thanks for posting about it!

I want my games to have a purpose/objective...do anything is the same as do nothing

Can I build a time machine, go back in time to moments before Steve Jobs died, decapitate him and poop down his esophagus?

If not, then this game will suck.

I want my games to have a purpose/objective...do anything is the same as do nothing

I tend to agree but I would also say it's because I have little imagination and without the game telling me what to do I can't fill in the blanks. I read about what others do with Eve and I know friends that have such great stories with games like Mount and Blade and I know that I could never have that kind of fun with them. So while I get little enjoyment out of games with next to no objective I do think they have a place in gaming and I wish them luck.

I don't think the infrastructure is there to accomplish this at this time.

Can I build a time machine, go back in time to moments before Steve Jobs died, decapitate him and poop down his esophagus?

If not, then this game will suck.

Did he kill someone in your family, or take something from you? If the answer is no to both questions: What the fuck is the deal?!

Did he kill someone in your family, or take something from you? If the answer is no to both questions: What the fuck is the deal?!

The deal is you're reading too much into a not-very-serious comment on this sham of a game. Go call the police on some twitter "threats" or something. :rolleyes:

Looks like they want to be second life

Damnit beat me to it lol. Secondlife really is a do anything game, but most of the time, a do nothing game because all those things that you can do are much more fun done on games that are specifically built to do those things. Such as racing games, FPS's, RPG's, etc.

There is no such thing. Unless they're trying to create the thirteenth floor.

When they busted out the "in-game smartphone or in-game laptop", I was ready for one of them to say that your character could even fire up an Identity client and start playing.

EDIT: "A television, you can actually watch streaming gameplay of other people playing Identity at any given time." - that comes so close... Wow.

Anyone ever read the book 3001? It is the sequal to 2001/2010. There is a chunk in there about how people in the future are basically strapped into virtual reality sims and don't treat real life as...well...real life. The real life becomes the sim.

Could they have got someone to do the voice over who pronounces words and doesn't mumble with a lisp..

On that note, to be so broad may not be so hard, most of things are just randomly generated and crap, not like you have to make 10000000000 tree stumps and axes..

"I wish we could show you more but we have just gotten started" = we have no idea how to do most of this yet and hope we can pull it off.... as others said.. VAPORWARE

They have some experience doing this. Without a red-light district this game will probably stink. Reminds me of that thing PS3 had, where you walk around "the community" like an asshole.

Back in 1998 when I first starting playing Ultima Online, I thought this sort of thing was the final destination of MMORPG development. I still think it is, but it just isn't possible yet technology-wise.

I have absolutely no interest in this. I would much rather spend my time living, ya know, a real life.

They have some experience doing this. Without a red-light district this game will probably stink. Reminds me of that thing PS3 had, where you walk around "the community" like an asshole.

LOL. I actually don't mind this. It may get boring but to even achieve this like they want it to, it will be a long project. I'm not holding my breath.

LOL They lost me where They said Drive a Truck er Rig those guys in real life don't have a fun job.
Sleeping in a truck when it's below zero in a Walmart parking lot.

You know what would make a good MMORPG a Disney World MMO...

The problem with a lot of game they have no politics where as you can do anything which give it a open ended feeling like WTF?

You can do anything? Can you open mouth kiss a horse?

Back