identifing firefox as IE in linux?

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
anyone know how to do this? i dont see anything obvious in the menus... plz help. thanks. :D

i know there are extensions that do it for firefox to emulate IE for windows, but im not sure about linux. you're gonna make me look now aren't you? :p

edit: just looked, the one i was thinking of is only for windows. so i really dont have an answer for you.

http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/ ?
If all you need is to change the browser id string, there's absolutely no need to mess around with wine. :)

I personally prefer konqueror to firefox, btw.
If you happen to use it, the relevant settings are under Settings->Configure konqueror->Browser Identification.

im using ubuntu... id actually love to be able to use opera, as that is my favorite browser... i didnt find anything in that either...

ill take a look at that link.. thanks :D

You can get an ubuntu package of Opera from them here.

When you've saved it you should be able to "dpkg -i opera.something-9.02.deb" to install it. (Or look for some way of installing packages in synaptic, or you can just try doubleclicking it and seeing what happens.)

yeah, but everything just seems to work in firefox... (flash, java, etc...)

True; setting up plugins is still a bit of a hassle.

Why not just open up FireFox and type the following in the URL bar:

about:config

Change/Add a setting called "general.useragent.override" and set the value to whatever you want (IE).

Should work fine :cool:

Back