Ideas for new CPU cooling or replacement heatsink clips

Myrandex

Limp Gawd
Alright I accidentally broke off the clip of my Leadtek GeForce 6800 video card, so now I need to try to find replacement clips or purchase a replacement cooling system. If I purchase a replacement cooling system, I am not worried so much about it being loud, as my primary concern is price & cooling performance. Any help or recommendations would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks in advance,
Jason Cook

Well, here are your two best options: Arctic-cooling silencer, or the Zalman VF700-CU.

My personal preference is the VF700-CU, as I've had both. You'll hear a difference of opinion if you let this thread last, as there are two camps. So take heart in this: Both are good choices, and they both offer good performance and easy installation.

Pick either one, and you'll be happy.

Yea I found a NV Silencer 5 for under $30 shipped I think, but you don't think it is possible to find replacement heatsink clips? Also the NV Silencer says it is for the 6800GT and the 6800 Ultra, so I am wondering should it work with my regular 6800?
Jason

Well, I'm not totally sure what clips you're talking about, as I didn't have any sort of clips on my 6800gt...although I could be wrong. All I remember about taking off my stock HSF was the billion pieces that composed it.

I think you'll spend a bit long looking for a stock HSF for your leadtek card, and unless you make a replacement yourself, you'll end up paying money to reseat a HSF that is sub-par. At least with a new solution you'll have better temps, longer life, and potential better oc's.

As for your question about the Silencer, this is what you want

Alright that is the correct silencer for my card. As for the pins, check out this pic:
14-122-207-02.JPG

There are two white clips, one on the top right and one on the bottom left of the heatsink (w/ the card orientated how it is in the picture). Those are the clips I am talking about. My cooler was all one piece too when I took it off.

Also what do you guys think of using Thermal Paste to attach the heatsink if I can't get the clips working? Would the shim get in the way?

I assume you mean thermal epoxy
personally paste and a mechanical retention will give you better heat transfer

Back