Ideas for making a ps3 faster??

Ok so here's my deal I recently bought a new steering wheel setup for my pc "the

fanatec CSW. Best thin in the world everyone should buy one!!!" An i got this great idea i

wanted to pull out my PS3 an test it out with Gran Tourismo 5. Got it all setup an wow! it is

just so amazing but here's my problem i am so use to playing pc racing games with little to

no load times that the loading in GT5 is killing me. literally! Does anyone have some helpful

in as to what i can do to make the load times better. I already installed the game to the HD

an its still horrible some people say if you do an SSD it helps alot other people say it makes

no difference. Does it or not? If so what SSD do i need to grab? Thanks for all the input!

The PS3 uses a Sata-150 controller so just about ANY SSD will Max it out... An article from Eurogamer showed that an SSD would cut loadtimes in Half...

Any respectable SSD should net you excellent results, especially with GT5. Not all load times are cut in half, but the improvements are substantial across the board. Menus will feel more responsive and transitions will also be quicker. I have no doubts that your overall experience will improved with an SSD.

If you have crap you want to keep, make a FAT partition of whatever size on an external USB drive and backup to console to it. Switch off the PS3, and swap the disks. Load it up.

Youll need to get the latest PS3 firmware (which you can put on a USB stick) from Sony, then use it to update the console. Then you can restore from the backup. Depends on your data amount as to how long it takes. For 80gb it took...less than an hour in total.

I actually stopped playing GT5 solely because of the load times. Any game where you spend more time in the menus than the actual game is not worth playing.

Didn't know about the SSD trick. Gonna have to try that!

I actually stopped playing GT5 solely because of the load times. Any game where you spend more time in the menus than the actual game is not worth playing.

Didn't know about the SSD trick. Gonna have to try that!

oh man, those menus, the aweful music, the slow load times. Reminds me why I played it for 3 weeks and sold it.

You could turn off capslock (because its only for use as cruise control for cool) and realize there is nothing you can do to "speed" up your PS3. Even with an SSD it will see almost zero benefit. Its from 2006 , you know .. back before reality shows ruined TV?

Wait for the PS4 and your favorite franchises to progress to that platform. Then things will get "faster".

The end.

You get two PS3's and get 2 male/male USB cables and plug one end into each PS3 for both the cables. You turn the first one on that has GT5 in it but make sure it doesn't boot straight from disc but instead boots and stays at the dashboard. After the first PS3 is booted up and setting on the dashboard, turn the second PS3 on with no game and for it to boot to the dashboard as well. After it is booted up start GT5 on the first PS3, they will now work together.

You could turn off capslock (because its only for use as cruise control for cool) and realize there is nothing you can do to "speed" up your PS3. Even with an SSD it will see almost zero benefit. Its from 2006 , you know .. back before reality shows ruined TV?

Wait for the PS4 and your favorite franchises to progress to that platform. Then things will get "faster".

The end.

1) Larger Font != Caps Lock
2) SSD helps PS3 loading times dramatically and it's already been proven. Here is a side by side video and a bunch of charts and graphs specifically for Gran Turismo 5. http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-load-times-significantly-reduced-by-ps3-ssd-upgrade/

The end.

I just bought my first SSD for my PC a few months back.

What would be an adequate SSD, or more specifically the best bang for my buck when it comes to SSD for my PS3? My PS3 model came with the 320GB+Move Controller. I only require a 128GB SSD, all my movies run from my Media Server PC HD's, and I don't download PS3 games.

What do people recommend? I love the GT series!

There's an option to do a full install to decrease load time on GT5. I haven't done it yet. It needs 10GB and takes about an hr to do the deed.

I've been thinking about upgrading mine to an SSD as well. Load times are really bad on the stock drive.

Here's another question: How do you make it quiet? I've got one of the 80 GB BC models and it gets loud as fuck sometimes.

I've been thinking about upgrading mine to an SSD as well. Load times are really bad on the stock drive.

Here's another question: How do you make it quiet? I've got one of the 80 GB BC models and it gets loud as fuck sometimes.

fan ran out of lube, you need to lube it which means gotta take it apart.

Yeah, I'm thinking I will do that and clean it out, anyway. Maybe apply some new thermal paste.

I recommend one of those rocket sleds as seen on mythbusters.

Any Sata II ssd would be good to go, I run a 120gb Vertex 2 on my slim ps3. Runs noticeably faster, than a standard hard drive.

Back