Ideas for a competitive FPS anyone?

koopaGG

2[H]4U
I am a very competitive gamer and I need a very competitive game which I can't seem to find now a days. I've played CSS for years and it's wearing old, COD4 gets old so quick and has a lot of problems, etc etc.

What do you want in a competitive FPS?

i second TF2. never played it competitively but I would imagine its fantastic.

COD4 with proper server options would make me happy right now:

1. FFA Last Man Standing.
2. Ability to restrict equipment lists, like in R6: RavenShield (eg. no 'nades, no martyr, no grenade launchers if one was so inclined)
3. Better general game customization: Spawn time changes in all game modes, limits on lives, more complex death-punishing systems (eg. You get one spawn per minute, if you've been alive for 60s or greater instaspawn, if not you wait. Or you get ten spawns per ten minutes.)

...Do enlighten me, please. I've looked, and the options list is pretty sparse.

Edit: When you launch the mod warfare, the unlaunch button says "Lanuch without Mods" ... erm. And the game's been out how long now?

Edit2: I think I understand now: You have to use the ModWarfare mod, edit it to your specifications, and then you can restrict whatever. Weird that there aren't any servers doing this....(well, one empty one, but it seems to be just default...)

I am a very competitive gamer and I need a very competitive game which I can't seem to find now a days. I've played CSS for years and it's wearing old, COD4 gets old so quick and has a lot of problems, etc etc.

What do you want in a competitive FPS?

Enemy Territory Quake Wars.

- Team based gameplay
- Objectives completion
- Class mission system
- Upgrade and rank system

The list goes on...try it :)

If you enjoyed CS:S you will probably like TF2. Similar goal oriented team gameplay. Some people don't give it time because it looks cartoonish. Whatever, I say. It's a great, fun game.

COD 4 is competitive and good strategic play, but only in certain game modes like Domination, S&D, Headquarters, etc. Sometimes TDM...just depends.

For you, I would still recommend TF2.

Give TF2 a try, I personally haven't played it for a couple months now (ironically I just started playing CS:S again a couple days ago). But I played it a lot when it first came out. Great game. Pretty team-oriented as in the different classes have their spot, and if your team isn't working as a team, you're going to get slaughtered.

With that in mind, you'll probably have to find a few GOOD servers, because many you go on can get very frustrating. Many times I would go on a server, be the medic because no one else would, and after maybe 10 minutes I had to BEG people to try a new class, and tell them how we REALLY did not need 5 snipers. Ugh.

Still, awesome game when you get in the right pub though ;)

Well my game rotation is

CSS
BF2
COD4

and my 2 alternates are CS 1.6 and TF2.

...Do enlighten me, please. I've looked, and the options list is pretty sparse.

Edit: When you launch the mod warfare, the unlaunch button says "Lanuch without Mods" ... erm. And the game's been out how long now?

Edit2: I think I understand now: You have to use the ModWarfare mod, edit it to your specifications, and then you can restrict whatever. Weird that there aren't any servers doing this....(well, one empty one, but it seems to be just default...)

there have been 2 or 3 servers i play on, one is a sniper server, and it restrict class and weapons to sniper rifles only, no pistols or anything,, but these mods also dont track stats, which sucks... perhaps a side effect of running a mod?

CS 1.6>all in competitive gaming, that's why it's still the #1 game in CAL, CEVO, etc.

CS:S is similar but the way the hitboxes are designed takes away from the number of skill levels. I don't really see TF2 on the same lvl as CS 1.6, TF2 is just more mindless fun.

i would say try day of defeat: source. it plays like css so you will pick it up quick.

natural selection sounds like it would be up your alley, but i dont know how the competative scene is for it.....

i would say try day of defeat: source. it plays like css so you will pick it up quick.

Dod source is so terrible. The competitive community is pretty dead for it too. I guess if you like not having your bullets go where you aim, it's ok.

I went 37-17 in my first dod:s scrim if that tells you anything about how easy it is.

DOD 1.3 is a bit more dead for pubbing, but in league-play, it's much more competitive. There's a LAN in KY on Memorial Day weekend that has 17 teams signed up so far.

CS 1.6>all in competitive gaming, that's why it's still the #1 game in CAL, CEVO, etc.

CS:S is similar but the way the hitboxes are designed takes away from the number of skill levels. I don't really see TF2 on the same lvl as CS 1.6, TF2 is just more mindless fun.

TF2 is only mindless fun at the lowest levels (which ironically is what Counter-Strike represents for the majority of people playing it). Sure, it doesn't require the same kind of reflexes or accuracy that CS 1.6 does, but it requires you to know your role, know when you are outclassed and how to improvise to a far greater degree than in CS.

Dod source is so terrible. The competitive community is pretty dead for it too. I guess if you like not having your bullets go where you aim, it's ok.

I went 37-17 in my first dod:s scrim if that tells you anything about how easy it is.

DOD 1.3 is a bit more dead for pubbing, but in league-play, it's much more competitive. There's a LAN in KY on Memorial Day weekend that has 17 teams signed up so far.

37-17, not bad for a game where bullets dont go wherre you aim

cs1.6 implys that you can hit a nickel from 60 yards with a Kalashnikov if you crouch and wait for a few secs.

check out instantaction.com for the Legions game. its like the Tribes games. its coming soon. if you have never played tribes gamers before, prepare to have your asses handed to you even if you are the top player on the top team in ANY other game. we can always use more NewBloods for target practice.

Back