Ideal memory speed for X299 7900x build?

Sprayingmango

[H]ard|Gawd
I currently have DDR4 2800 memory, would I benefit from getting some 3200 or 3333 speed memory for my 7900X build? I do not plan to overclock the system, if I do it'll be small. I need 24/7 stability vs crazy OC speeds.

nothing worth replacing what you have and higher speeds may bring instability
anything over 2666 is already a minor overclock of the memory controller

with a 6700k i can see around 30-35% increase in cpu performance in some games with 2133c15 vs 3866c16 but the gains in other things like video editing is bugger all while lightroom is around 10-20% when rendering previews or exporting
the gains on 7900x would be smaller due to quad channel memory the main thing that would help is a reduction in the final latency

I agree with dasa, since its quad channel, you already have plenty of bandwidth. If ram were super cheap, I would do it just because, but I don't think its worth it, especially how high priced ram is now.
I doubt you would be able to tell outside of a benchmark. I would instead just tweak settings on your current ram and see what kind of timings you can get.

I currently have DDR4 2800 memory, would I benefit from getting some 3200 or 3333 speed memory for my 7900X build? I do not plan to overclock the system, if I do it'll be small. I need 24/7 stability vs crazy OC speeds.

If you aren't overclocking the CPU, the RAM should be able to clock pretty high. I wouldn't bother with anyhting less than DDR4 3600MHz speeds if you already have DDR4 2800MHz modules. That said, your mileage can vary with IMCs on any CPU. The value of such an upgrade is also certainly debatable. Skylake's architecture does show some benefit to higher memory speeds but I still don't think it's worth the cost.

Back