Ideal format for webrips?

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently bought an avermedia live gamer 4k capture card and an HDFury vertex2 to bypass hdcp and configure custom EDID. Capture card is installed in the system in my sig. I'm pretty new to this, so I don't fully understand the various video and audio settings for capture. I was hoping someone with a bit of experience would be able to direct me here.

Ultimately I'm looking to capture movies and TV shows to load into my Plex server. The client devices will be TVs with and without a 5.1 receiver as well as multiple mobile devices. I want to capture in resolutions ranging from 1080p30 to 4k60. I do not want to capture in HDR at all, though my card is capable of it. Also no 3D. I want to use both h264 & h265 compression. For audio, I want to capture in 5.1 and let Plex transcode to stereo if a client requires it.

That's about all the requirements I have based on my limited knowledge. I'm aware there are other settings for bit depth, color space, various video standards, and proprietary formats like dolby and DTS.

I really know nothing about all this, so I don't know what's best to select for the EDID in my Vertex2. My understanding is the EDID ultimately determines what video and audio signal is sent by the source. Suggestions? Any good tutorials?

I use mkv for my coontainer. it's more widely read than any other container I've tried.

I use mkv for my container. it's more widely read than any other container I've tried.
That's what I'm planning to do as well. I do all BD rips with MakeMKV. Pretty sure the live gamer can do mkv... Actually I'll need to verify that.

Any suggestions on the other video settings? I was hoping maybe there was some kind of standard for this.

That's what I'm planning to do as well. I do all BD rips with MakeMKV. Pretty sure the live gamer can do mkv... Actually I'll need to verify that.

Any suggestions on the other video settings? I was hoping maybe there was some kind of standard for this.

Are you planning on transcoding after-the-fact, or in real-time?

If in real-time, just buy a Turing card, and use it's transcoder.

Otherwise, if you're runningh iit offline, I just use Handbrake with constant quality run on CPU. I use quality level 19 for high-action, and quality level 20 for low-action (but people tell me that that's overkill , so find your own threshold). But constant-quality results in smaller files and there's way less guesswork trying to figure-out the average bitrate for 2-pass.

Are you planning on transcoding after-the-fact, or in real-time?

If in real-time, just buy a Turing card, and use it's transcoder.

Otherwise, if you're runningh iit offline, I just use Handbrake with constant quality run on CPU. I use quality level 19 for high-action, and quality level 20 for low-action (but people tell me that that's overkill , so find your own threshold). But constant-quality results in smaller files and there's way less guesswork trying to figure-out the average bitrate for 2-pass.
The capture and any transcoding will be done on my 2060KO, so Turing it is. I'd ideally not like to have it transcode real-time if it doesn't have to, but I'm not exactly sure how all these other color settings play into that. All my clients can play h264 & h265. Not all can do 4k60, but it's no big deal to transcode down to 1440 or 1080. I'm mostly worried about potential problems with 4:4:4 vs 4:2:0 or 8 vs 10 vs 12 bit depth. I don't know what's typical and what will require transcoding.

I can say that the firesticks seem to be a problem with 7.1 audio. Plex doesn't recognize that 7.1 needs to be transcoded, so it sends the direct signal and the firestick or receiver can't handle it. That's not an issue in this case, cause the live gamer can only capture up to 5.1. I was just using that as an example. May be similar issues on the video end.

Back