ide 100 raid a good idea?

Jeeter

n00b
I have two identical 8GB ata 100 drives lying around here. I was thinking about buying an ide raid card and hooking these up in a raid 0 (i think 0, whichever one is striping) for my system and games partition. or maybe just install a few games. currently i have an 80gb ide drive on my mobo. I cant really afford a new hdd yet, but 25 for a new controller, then i can hook another 20gb hdd i have on the shelf into my system (4 hard drives, thats crazy, lol). basically, before i spend the 25 bucks, i want to make sure i can do this with an add in ide raid card. the card says IDE raid.
[link

also am i going to see a speed improvement, they are both 5400 rpm drives, a few years old. both seagate baracuda's good drives when they were new. I am not looking for scsi performance, just a little kick in teh windows environment and a few games, also happy to get my swap space on a faster "partition" also it would let me enlarge my storage space withoutovercrowding my system drive ide bus with a slave drive, except on my data disks. which would store files and programs that dont require fast disk access.

good idea?

The average access times and transfer rates are gonna be so slow on those 5400rpm drives it won't be worth the time or the money to RAID0 them. Any single modern 7200rpm drive would be give better performance.

I might try it anyway to see.. its only 25 bucks, i cant afford a faster drive, but i would lik ethe extra chanells for all the hdd's ive got lying aroudn. if it doesnt show an improvment then i still have 4 hdd's attached (old but they still hold the GB's) and if it does, then w00t.

i wouldnt, its only 16GB of extra space and its going to waste system resources.

Jeeter said:
I might try it anyway to see.. its only 25 bucks, i cant afford a faster drive, but i would lik ethe extra chanells for all the hdd's ive got lying aroudn. if it doesnt show an improvment then i still have 4 hdd's attached (old but they still hold the GB's) and if it does, then w00t.

If you can afford $25 you can afford $50 and can then buy yourself another 80GB easy.

For $45, you can get 40 gigs that'll outperform those two drives on any day of the week. Or you could go $47 and get 80 gigs. Or dig deep and go $60 for 120 gigs.

Don't waste 25 bucks on a bad idea. Spend the money on a newer drive (a WD2500KS is only like $75!) and you won't regret it.

i already have a new drive, I have a 7200.9 . but my system needs something more, mainly more space, and i was thinking if i can give it more space, and make it faster for 25 bucks. Im not considering buying a new drive, i have too many sitting on the shelf being dust collectors

edit*

I can spit faster than those drives can transfer data, even striped.. Don't waste the money if it's so hard to come by.

Jeeter said:
i already have a new drive, I have a 7200.9 . but my system needs something more, mainly more space, and i was thinking if i can give it more space, and make it faster for 25 bucks. Im not considering buying a new drive, i have too many sitting on the shelf being dust collectors

edit*
8GB (raid 0) isn't much space.
and it won't be faster than your 7200.9

Back