ID this card? No input signal

00PS

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend of mine brought me an old HP computer that apparently wasn't displaying the video. My first thought: the video card was dead since the monitor was asking for an input signal error. In any attempt, I decided to pull the card and reseat it. Zero results.

Then, since I remembered my 9600GT had a funky problem at one point. I decided to pull everything from the mobo: ram, both power cables, pull CMOS, and the videocard. Holding down the power button I cleared anything that was stuck in the capacitors/resistors/etc.

Plugged everything back in, powered on, and the video output is working again. Awesome. We let the machine idle for a while since he was showing me some files, then all of a sudden the monitor cuts out again to the "input signal required". The heatsink didn't seem hotter then I'd expect... so I'm a little puzzled.

Tying to ID this card....I have no clue what it is other then by Googling: N13219 D33005 gave me this link. This may/may not be an ATI AX 550, no clue.

Anyone think by baking this card, it could be salvaged from it's previous symptoms?

He's only using a VGA input monitor, so anyone have a suggestion on the cheap for a PCIEX16 card?

Maybe something like this? I'm pretty positive he doesn't want to spend more then $40
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162027

Some pics for reference:
photo.jpg

photo_2.jpg

I'd check the other numbers on the card, there's something written next to Rev.1.01 in the box, could be a product number. You might be able to contact asus with the card's support number (the one on the barcode) and ask, or maybe it's one of the codes on the edge near the Asus logo.

The code you looked up is just a certification label, doubt you'll find anything useful.

It'd probably be fastest to just pull the heatsink off and look at what label the chip has on it though.

Based on the picture I would say it looks a lot like the Asus Geforce 6200 Silent we have hanging from our wall at work, but there are some small differences. Most likely it is some sort of a low end PCI-E X16 Video card.

The 8400 GS you linked is probably an upgrade and should serve him well.

Crispy, good call on the rev. number. For reference it says C262H, which lead me to a forum post dated back in 2005 with the same/similar problem. He ended up replacing the card for the fix, lol. Anyways, I pretty much started to plug in any digits I could find on the board into Google and am pretty confident I found out what this sucker is. It is a nVidia GeForce 6200 (64 MB DDR)!

Any possibilites of revival? I really want to max crysis at 2500x1600 lol.... :p

Crispy, good call on the rev. number. For reference it says C262H, which lead me to a forum post dated back in 2005 with the same/similar problem. He ended up replacing the card for the fix, lol. Anyways, I pretty much started to plug in any digits I could find on the board into Google and am pretty confident I found out what this sucker is. It is a nVidia GeForce 6200 (64 MB DDR)!

Any possibilites of revival? I really want to max crysis at 2500x1600 lol.... :p

Heh, so it was a 6200 afterall.

As far as revival, I guess you could try baking it, but make sure those caps are okay first (not bulging at the top). It is hard to say from your picture but if any of the caps are bad, baking is not going to change anything. Also you should keep in mind that baking really is just a temporary measure as the baked cards usually only last a few weeks to a few months tops after which it might work after a new bake, or not. FWIW the symptoms you describe in the OP seem to suggest baking it won't fix it.

Also, a replacement card is not that expensive in the end.

Just an update, for anyone who may have similar problems for loss of input signal...

I ended up swaping out the old Asus 6200 for a 7600GT that I had in an old spare pc. It worked for the first 5 minutes or so then cut out to "need input signal" from the display. So then I thought it could be the POS powersupply he had in there. After unplugging all the peripherals (2 DVD drives, fans on mobo, front USB ports, remove wireless card) it ran with no problems. Eventually I enedd up tracing it a back to a bad case fan that was connected to the mobo via PWN. I still cannot believe it, the fan was working what appeard to be normal. But anyways, I put a spare 120mm fan in there and it has been working fine with the original Asus 6200.

I'm a little shocked at this, but at least it is working now... My guess is the fan was over drawing current and starving the GPU. How? I have no idea and cannot explain it.

Here is a pic of the little shit...
IMG_05981-1.jpg

Back