ID Thief Sentenced To 5 Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
A business software consultant who stole identifying information on 110,000 customers was sentenced to 5 years in prison. The genius tried to sell the information to an undercover Secret Service agent for twenty five thousand dollars.

Binyamin Schwartz, 28, of Oak Park, Mich., was sentenced to 60 months on charges of identity theft, aggravated identity theft, access device fraud, and wire fraud. According to a report from the U.S. Attorney's Office, Schwartz admitted to investigators that he stole Social Security numbers and related information from two databases within Wisconsin-based Sentry Insurance while he was working as a consultant there, developing business software.

110,000 customers. Sigh. These guys are class A morons.

Being a former victim of identity theft, they should have sentenced him to 5 years strung up by his balls.

5 years for something of this caliber is not nearly enough.

25 years I could agree with. Stealing 110,000 identities is bad enough, but then actually going forward and trying to sell them? People get longer jail sentences for being cruel to animals than this crap.

I just got a letter in the in the mail last night, pretty sure it was from Sentry too, telling me that my data was among the recovered information.

Coincidence?

:(

sentence him for each ID stolen, so 110,000 years in jail sounds about right for trying to ruin their lives.

As a son of a father that has idenity stolen I too feel this ass should be strung out to dry by his nut zack. Then shot.

KM

Only 5 years?! He should have gotten a minimum of 25 years. You can point a gun at someone and get caught, then get 5-7 years. Steal someone's identity and only get 1-2?! You have to be flipping kidding me?!?!?!

He doesn't have balls.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Ockie, you probably want to fix those words? :p

It's not like identity theft is actively being worked on to be prevented, anyhow. The keepers of the keys are incompetent. I once had to prove to the state of florida that I wasn't married to my mother because some clerk made a typo. How can you trust your identity when people like this guy can take this info so easily, because the data is not ACTUALLY protected.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn him!

Exactly

Fukin' newt!

It's not like identity theft is actively being worked on to be prevented, anyhow. The keepers of the keys are incompetent. I once had to prove to the state of florida that I wasn't married to my mother because some clerk made a typo. How can you trust your identity when people like this guy can take this info so easily, because the data is not ACTUALLY protected.

Yikes!

Sure a smart kid, selling his info to the Secret Service.

Back