id Tech 7 Engine Upgrades Discussed by DOOM Eternal Dev; Raytracing to Be Explored Post-Launch

erek

[H]F Junkie
You hookin it up? Doom isn't my kind of game, but Doom 3 had one of the best engines of the Doom franchise.

"The DOOM Eternal Executive Producer then added the Nintendo Switch port (coming a bit later than the other versions) is doing very well thanks to Panic Button, which also took care (doing a great job) of porting the previous DOOM game. Overall, he believes DOOM Eternal will squeeze every ounce of computing power out of all consoles and 'scream at outlandish frame rates' on a high-end PC.

We'll see in less than six weeks if id Software can deliver on its lofty promises for DOOM Eternal."

https://wccftech.com/id-tech-7-engi...al-dev-raytracing-to-be-explored-post-launch/

didn't realize they were using megatextures in doom 2016, but now that they've removed it just 28 seconds into this video I see obvious repeated textures, not even rotated or mirrored to try and hide it:

really curious what devs thought of it, or maybe higher-ups were just annoyed of the legacy JC code?

looking forward to the destructive demons and environments though. the canned dismemeberment stuff was fun at first, but I wanna do ice/meat sculptures

I think they made the right choice. Raytracing will undoubtedly be the way of the future, but it's still in its infancy. Even the top end RTX card doesn't really do it that well. For now it's just a cool gimmick, but hey that's how it always starts.

By 'exploring' raytracing after release ensures that the game will not be delayed for a feature that most people aren't going to use at this time anyway.

Put it in later, and we'll come back to the game and play it with raytracing when we have the hardware that can easily handle it.

didn't realize they were using megatextures in doom 2016, but now that they've removed it just 28 seconds into this video I see obvious repeated textures, not even rotated or mirrored to try and hide it:

really curious what devs thought of it, or maybe higher-ups were just annoyed of the legacy JC code?

looking forward to the destructive demons and environments though. the canned dismemeberment stuff was fun at first, but I wanna do ice/meat sculptures

You can tell from a video they've removed mega textures?

I wouldn't have known any different until Stratton says so at ~10:30.

The environments look like a good shooter IMO.

Especially in a high speed game like Doom, the fact that some texture might get repeated is (in my opinion) mostly a who-cares thing. If the enemies look great, the environment looks great - I'm not likely to notice or care that SnowCappedHill_1 is the same as SnowCappedHill_2. To each their own I suppose, but I'm fine with this sort of development time / rendering memory savings.

I think they made the right choice.

I do too, but for a simpler reason: Doom / Quake games feature the most responsive gameplay you're going to get, and RT is counter-productive for that purpose at this time.

And as a thought exercise, if id were to include RT in Doom Eternal, they'd had to have developed for it from the start and likely come up with many of their own solutions for balancing RT usage and performance.

If they weren't planning on it from the beginning then an implementation this close to release would almost certainly be fruitless.

Looks like they added HDR from what I read. Hopefully it is implemented well and helps enhance the look of some of the environments.

Ahhh, see that was mentioned also near the end of the video.

Last edited:
I do too, but for a simpler reason: Doom / Quake games feature the most responsive gameplay you're going to get, and RT is counter-productive for that purpose at this time.

And as a thought exercise, if id were to include RT in Doom Eternal, they'd had to have developed for it from the start and likely come up with many of their own solutions for balancing RT usage and performance.

If they weren't planning on it from the beginning then an implementation this close to release would almost certainly be fruitless.

You're probably right about RT should be developed from the get go to balance performance, etc. However, if they want to add it in later I say let them so long as we have the option to turn it off :p

You're probably right about RT should be developed from the get go to balance performance, etc. However, if they want to add it in later I say let them so long as we have the option to turn it off :p

Well, the engine that ships with Doom Eternal is going to be the basis for future games, so it makes sense to start working on it, right?

The hardest part it seems with RT isn't implementing it -- Jensen Huang wasn't exaggerating when he claimed 'it just works' -- the hard part is in limiting RT usage to effects that deliver over rasterization while not sandbagging performance.

I wouldn't have known any different until Stratton says so at ~10:30.

The environments look like a good shooter IMO.

Especially in a high speed game like Doom, the fact that some texture might get repeated is (in my opinion) mostly a who-cares thing. If the enemies look great, the environment looks great - I'm not likely to notice or care that SnowCappedHill_1 is the same as SnowCappedHill_2. To each their own I suppose, but I'm fine with this sort of development time / rendering memory savings.

Indeed. My point was that having mega texture technology does not stop yo from using any texture more than once. It just allows you to have many of them using less memory. That was the whole point IIRC

only in a few places, another obvious one is later on entering a space-themed corridor, the texture right in front of your face on both sides is mirrored, showing the identical smears/dents up close... not a big deal, and I agree dev time and performance should win out over john carmack's experiment-of-the-hour which I hardly heard anyone besides him really talk much about

Back