id Software co-founder John Romero says goodbye to consoles.

what will happen to carmack?
will we see some next gen graphics as he used to give us (before rage) ?

Just realized that their whole new engine is built on megatextures. If Doom4 is using that same crap, I'm out. :(

In case there's any confusion, John Romero and John Carmack no longer work for the same company, nor do they work together in any capacity. Romero was fired from id Software; Carmack is still there working on various multi-platform and mobile titles, and he isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

So, yes, Carmack is either working on the Doom project, working on the next-generation technology or spending time doing something else related to either or both of those.

Statements like "the iPad has crazy fast graphics" are exactly why Romero winds up drummed out of every company he "co-founds"...;)

Performance isn't the issue, the iPad 3/4 are surprisingly fast. Crytek and Epic, among other big companies have shown amazing visuals at fast framerates on a device with resolution that exceeds that of most desktop PCs.

The real limitation is that of 100% touchscreen controls, which is why certain types of hardcore games (RTS, strategy, board games, deck building, etc) work better than things like shooters, etc.

And Romero is a laughing stock because he can't manage a project for crap. It's a shame, id lost its way the moment he left the company. Quake 3, inspired by Quakeworld, was the last remain of his influence.

A few years ago it was all about cloning because there were a lot of companies out there that didn't have game designers in them, so the easiest thing to do is to look at what's successful and try and copy that.

Hahaha, the irony.

Gods forbid people have fun times playing games on their tablets. Everyone must have PC and play only on it otherwise they will be frowned upon by all the "leet" people. I play games on pc, on consoles and on tablets. And really I don't care which device I use, if I'm having fun with the game... Especially if Microsoft makes more developers use their smartglass concept and make phones/tablets extension of consoles

But of course, you are now not allowed to have fun, unless you believe in the Sect of Holy PC, and everyone outside it is infidel, who should never be called gamer.

Also modern tablets have more CPU/graphics power then basic low end PCs. Talk to the nvidia people, they claim that their devices will kill all low end machines, as people will prefer mobile, light devices compared to bulky crap under their desk.

Gods forbid people have fun times playing games on their tablets. Everyone must have PC and play only on it otherwise they will be frowned upon by all the "leet" people. I play games on pc, on consoles and on tablets. And really I don't care which device I use, if I'm having fun with the game... Especially if Microsoft makes more developers use their smartglass concept and make phones/tablets extension of consoles

But of course, you are now not allowed to have fun, unless you believe in the Sect of Holy PC, and everyone outside it is infidel, who should never be called gamer.

Also modern tablets have more CPU/graphics power then basic low end PCs. Talk to the nvidia people, they claim that their devices will kill all low end machines, as people will prefer mobile, light devices compared to bulky crap under their desk.

You're in the PC Gaming and Hardware section. Not the tablet love connection section ;)

Tablet games (or more accurately "Mobile Games") , the vast majority of them are vapid , pay to play extractors. Nothing is wrong with having fun or buying them , its your choice but that doesn't mean that they are "great" or as fulfilling as PC games are.

There are only 3 Mobile gaming titles that I can think of that offer a true gameplay experience and are not "get rich quick" mobile schemes. When Mobile developers start taking games seriously and stop making what I like to call "toilet fun" games then I'll be more than happy to play more of them.

Romero loves to make a lame comment like he did once in a while so he can get his name in some blogger's post or a mention in an article on Kotaku or some nonsense. He hasn't done one single "good" game since the Id days.

I don't know about that last paragraph. Daikatana had neat concepts, especially in the MP. Romero always seemed like a nice guy who don't deserve all that blind hate.

Performance isn't the issue, the iPad 3/4 are surprisingly fast. Crytek and Epic, among other big companies have shown amazing visuals at fast framerates on a device with resolution that exceeds that of most desktop PCs.

The real limitation is that of 100% touchscreen controls, which is why certain types of hardcore games (RTS, strategy, board games, deck building, etc) work better than things like shooters, etc.

And Romero is a laughing stock because he can't manage a project for crap. It's a shame, id lost its way the moment he left the company. Quake 3, inspired by Quakeworld, was the last remain of his influence.

Wait, did you just try to imply that the ipad has great graphics and fast frame rates at resolutions higher then 1080p? Have you seen what games look like on the ipad/tablets? they look like shit compared to console games, which look like shit compared to what PCs are capable of doing.

So in closing, no the ipad is not powerful and the games only look great if you are still gaming on the original Nintendo system.

why is romero still relevant in the gaming scene? Dude hasn't done jack shit/worth a damn, since Quake.

I don't know about that last paragraph. Daikatana had neat concepts, especially in the MP. Romero always seemed like a nice guy who don't deserve all that blind hate.

Please tell me you're joking,the very idea of anyone defending Daikatana in the slightest is incomprehensible.

Wait, Romero had a hand in Gauntlet? I've been wanting another one for years, if he got the rights to it and made another one similar to Seven Sorrows, I'd be picking it up first day.

what was the last good game this dudes made?

well i just checked his wiki page and the last 3 games I played that he worked on are Daikatana, Red Faction, and Anachronox. I remember how bad Daikatana was, i got it on sale for 4 bucks at Compusa, only reason i bought it and i felt bad spending that 4 bucks after i played it lol.

But Red Faction, and Anachronox.were great games, still wish they made the Anachronox sequel. I might have played that Area 51 game but really I cant remember But really why is he even in gaming news these day's, He has not made any amazing games in such a long time that I really forgot about him till I saw his name on this forum post lol

John Romero is a moron. Must be nice to keep getting millions for shitty ideas and ride the fame of what he did ages ago, when he's done nothing since then.

Back